Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 CRV and recently had the clutch burn out because the condenser failed. Went to a mechanic and was charged $1000 to replace both. Got the car back and the a/c now had a loud whine to it with the engine.

Took the car back, got the condenser re-replaced. Now the whine is gone, but whenever the condenser cycles on, there's a very loud click. This is happening ever few seconds? Doesn't seem to matter if it's on high or low.

My a/c before NEVER clicked like this. It seems abnormally loud. So this will be the third time I'm taking it back and I'd like to be armed with some info.

I know it may be normal for a little click of the condenser when the a/c turns on, but is it normal for it to be really loud and to keep turning on and off? Since my previous a/c didn't do this, that it what I was expecting from a new a/c system, that it would not make loud noises.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,775 Posts
You have a right to get it checked out.

Might just be a different compressor clutch.

Too-frequent actuations could be caused by incorrect amount of refrigerant (too much or too little). Have the shop check pressures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, was thinking " huh condenser doesn't click".
Could it be the a/c clutch? It's something they replaced. It clicks when you turn on the a/c and then after that, about once every 15-60 seconds. Super annoying to have this constant clicking when the a/c is on.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
It is likely the clutch. Sounds like the system is short-cycling, which means it is low on gas. So there may still be a leak. Make 'em fix it right, but be patient with them, as sometimes these things can be a pain. Could be just an o-ring leaking on one of the connections.

Reactions: Theman5

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Fyi the condenser isnt a moving part. It looks like part of your radiator from the front as its design is similar. But it's in front of the radiator.

What your asking about is the compressor.

No shop should have charged you $1000 to replace the compressor which comes with the clutch. $1000 should be compressor assembly and the condenser plus system being flushed out.

Now compressors/clutches on them brand new can be bad, it happens.

The click every few seconds is system is low for whatever reason. The leak if the shop did the job properly would be extremely easy to find.

The loud click definitely isnt normal, that's what 80s and early 90s clutches sounds like in American brands.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts