Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused by my 2019 Honda CR-V air conditioning controls.
If I touch 'climate' I can turn the A/C ON or OFF. When off, the degree setting numbers disappear. Okay so when the degree setting numbers are visible, the system is ON. So what happens when I press the control knob that reads AUTO? That lights up green. If the system was already on, what is that doing?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
A/C output is constant.......it's either on or off with regard to output, Adjusting the temp (auto or manual modes) increases/decreases the amount of heated air added/blended with/to the refrigerated air to maintain ones comfort level. In manual mode max heat is compressor off, temp set to HI, recirculate selected. Max cool is temp set to LO, compressor on, recirculate selected. In auto mode you just turn the temp nob.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I'm confused by my 2019 Honda CR-V air conditioning controls.
If I touch 'climate' I can turn the A/C ON or OFF. When off, the degree setting numbers disappear. Okay so when the degree setting numbers are visible, the system is ON. So what happens when I press the control knob that reads AUTO? That lights up green. If the system was already on, what is that doing?
Are you sure about "no numbers" when a/c is manually turned off? The temp numbers, including LO/HI should display regardless of compressor on or off. Even in "Manual" mode cabin temp can be raised/lowered when the compressor is engaged. "Auto" mode runs the compressor 24/7 and increases/decreases the amount of heated air added to the cabin via the hvac, depending on the temp settings.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Side note, I really hate having to press the Climate button to turn the A/C on or off. Freaking annoying as hell.
Life’s a beach, ain’t it.

There was a period in time when you had to get up out your chair and walk over to your tv to change the channel/volume. But since there were only 3 channels then, surfing didn’t take very long. In about that same time period the heat/cool settings, in your car, were a simple button/lever at your fingertips. Beaches.......where life is just a simple push of a button.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
Side note, I really hate having to press the Climate button to turn the A/C on or off. Freaking annoying as hell.
On my first car, I had to laterally move a lever several inches from left to right at the floor board under the dash to change the air flow from floor to windshield (for defrost). The ONLY choices. There were two "vents" at either side of the floor board ...on the kick panels, with a knob....I could pull this knob toward the front seat and get air coming in...but no way to reach the passenger side. Oh yeah... I could slide over on the bench seat as there were no seat belts either! And AC? HA! No radio, no power steering, no power windows, no power locks, you get the picture?

It was 1955 Chevy 210 which I had the privilege of buying from my parents when it was 14 years old (one owner) for $200. This was a 265 CID V8 and "three on the tree". There was no oil filter, so an oil change was just that, oil change... and of course chassis lube.

This was taken the day my dad brought it home from the dealer in Sept 1955. Dad paid $2000 out the door for it brand new.

Reactions: crv383

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
That puppy is SAHWEEET! My favorite year of the tri-fives.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Here's what the dash on my first Honda looked like, it was a 1972 Honda N600 Sedan.

There were two controls for the heater.
The lever at the top center of the dash switched between heat in the interior, and defrost for the windshield.
It was labeled Room and Defrost.
The lever below the cigarette lighter controlled the amount of heat.

And yes, the gearshift went into the dash to connect to the transmission. Oh, and the engine was a 2 cylinder 600cc modified from motorcycle engine design.
To shift, rather than moving the gear shift forward and back like a console mounted shifter, you moved the gearshift up and down to shift gears
1st was up and left.
2nd was down and left.
3rd was up and right.
4th was down and right.
Neutral was in the middle.
Reverse, ah reverse was the oddest thing.
From Neutral, you twisted the shift lever to the left so it was horizontal and parallel to the floor (instead of being vertical), and then pressed down towards the floor.
Here's a video where he shows you the shift pattern in an N600 starting about 2:35:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Now that’s cool........everything at your fingertip, even way back then.

How about this tattoo shift pattern. That 3-4/6-R shift is definitely no beach......more like freaking annoying as hell.?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The N600 Sedan and the slightly smaller Z600 Coupe were Honda's pre-CVCC (aka Civic) offerings in the US.
The N600 was tiny. I'm not a tall person, and don't have extremely long arms, but...

I could sit in the driver's seat in my N600 with my left arm leaning on the drivers door, and reach over with my right hand and stick most of my hand out the passenger side window.

My best friend at the time was 6'2" tall and he had to fold his knees up a bit, but still fit with the passenger seat all the way back so it was touching the rear seat.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
We had a 1979 Civic CVCC 3 door hatchback. The 3 valve, 2 combustion chamber per cylinder motor was interesting. I remember the 2 position manual pull choke on the dash......right at your fingertips, worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ooops, think I/we hijacked the OP’s thread, sorry.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts

·
Banned
249 Posts
Life’s a beach, ain’t it.

There was a period in time when you had to get up out your chair and walk over to your tv to change the channel/volume. But since there were only 3 channels then, surfing didn’t take very long. In about that same time period the heat/cool settings, in your car, were a simple button/lever at your fingertips. Beaches.......where life is just a simple push of a button.
It really is. Why did Honda need to be different from the rest of the 98% of auto manufacturers that put an A/C button on/off with the rest of the buttons. :mad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts