Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Which fuses can prevent A/C operation? The blower fan works.

Also, what does the HAC fuse protect?

Thanks!
Check the compressor relay fuse. Not sure what you mean by HAC.
Can you be more specific on the problem you're experiencing. Is it blowing warm air, no air, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response wlong!
Sometimes it blows warm air, sometimes cool, and sometimes cold. I'm suspecting that since the problem is variable that it's a sticking relay. Probably the compressor relay? Not sure how to check that other than to tap on it and see if I can hear the compressor kicking in and out. I'm wondering if there are other relays that could be the problem. ?

So the fuse, labeled in the manual as HAC is the fuse for the main blower for Heat and A/C. Hence HAC. Should have figured that one out I suppose. :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for your response wlong!
Sometimes it blows warm air, sometimes cool, and sometimes cold. I'm suspecting that since the problem is variable that it's a sticking relay. Probably the compressor relay? Not sure how to check that other than to tap on it and see if I can hear the compressor kicking in and out. I'm wondering if there are other relays that could be the problem. ?

So the fuse, labeled in the manual as HAC is the fuse for the main blower for Heat and A/C. Hence HAC. Should have figured that one out I suppose. :)

Thanks again!
I would bet you 10 bucks it's the compressor clutch. I would have that checked. This was a big problem for 07-09 and looks like it might be for the 10's as well.
Your symptoms describe it to a tee. If it's the clutch which I highly suspect you may get some help from Honda.
On our 08 they extended the warranty to 100k and 7 yrs.

Google CR-V A/C problems, you'll see tons of listings describing your problem.
Ours went last summer after working off and on for a couple months.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Could be the clutch. Its pretty much any Honda A/C clutch after a lot of use. They have a shim behind the clutch plate. After a lot of use the clutch wears some and the air gap becomes a little too wide for the magnet to pull the clutch plate in. The A/C will usually work when you first start off with everything cold. But once everything is up to temp it is hit and miss. I just had to take the shim out of the A/C clutch on my sisters 08 Civic. I noticed after I removed it that it would cool the car off faster than before. So I'm thinking the clutch may have been slipping a little before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would bet you 10 bucks it's the compressor clutch. I would have that checked. This was a big problem for 07-09 and looks like it might be for the 10's as well.
Your symptoms describe it to a tee. If it's the clutch which I highly suspect you may get some help from Honda.
On our 08 they extended the warranty to 100k and 7 yrs.

Google CR-V A/C problems, you'll see tons of listings describing your problem.
Ours went last summer after working off and on for a couple months.
Ha! Just what I suspected! Thank you very much! It's working fine right now. When it goes out again I'll get a new relay from VIP for 6$. Or I'll pick one up next time I go by there.
Thanks again! After I finally figured out which relay controlled the clutch I put my finger on it to see if I could feel the click when the turned the A/C on. Seemed to click 3 or 4 times. And it seemed to be working fine at that particular time. And it's been great since then. When I called Honda Service, they wanted to find the cause of the relay failure. He said that they just don't fail for no reason. I'm so done with that dealership! I wonder how much time they would have spent looking for the cause. Also, my car is way over 100K miles. And still going great! I can't believe that I almost bought a Subaru instead. I've had many cars, most of them 240 Volvos. This CR-V is the best one yet! Well my wife's 2010 is pretty great as well.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good Luck, any future A/C problems zero in on the clutch. It's a bad design. Earlier CR-V's had complete A/C failure with total contamination resulting in a $3000+ repair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$3000?! Whew! Do I need to worry about my 04? We have 2. 2010 and 2004. I picked up a new relay at VIP and it's in my glove box for that next time the A/C goes out.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
895 Posts
After taking that shim out of the clutch on my sisters car it quit working again. Pulled the relay and it sounded like a baby rattle when you shake it. Replaced it and all is well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
$3000?! Whew! Do I need to worry about my 04? We have 2. 2010 and 2004. I picked up a new relay at VIP and it's in my glove box for that next time the A/C goes out.
Thanks again!
Maybe. Do a little research on the Internet and see what you come up with. If I remember correctly most of the total failures were pre- 2007 models but I could be wrong. I also read somewhere that road salt, dirt led to the failure. Since you're in Maine I'm sure there's lots of road salt. The 2010's are probably Ok since I read that Honda did some re-engineering on the compressor post 2005.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts