Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, here is a little backstory on the issues I'm having. I recently purchased a 99 CR-V EX with 201K miles. It looked like it had been not been serviced too often outside of oil changes. Since owning it I've replaced the cabin air filter (not sure if it was ever changed since rolling off the line), cleaned off all the old peeling tint, clamped a rattly exhaust, had the engine checked for leaks, new timing belts, new battery, charged the A/C, changed the oil and break fluid, new spark plugs and wires, Seafoamed the system, and replaced a rusted shut hitch handle.

Long story short... Here is the details

*Radiator fan isn't kicking on, checked the fuse and plug and both appear to be working. Already ordered a replacement fan and motor. The car starts to overheat if idling with the AC on max for too long.
*Even though the A/C was charged and put to the appropriate pressure the AC only comes out as slightly cooler than the outside air.
*The flow of air isn't very strong at all.
*The air blows on the lowest to max air flow settings.
*In the glove box, I can see it move from selecting to recirculate cabin air or bring in outside air.
*There is a hiss (similar sounding to air letting out of a tire) when the ac has been running for a bit, but it isn't consistent - sounds like its letting off pressure every so often.
*There is quite a bit of water dripping out of the underside of the car when the AC is running.

Please help!

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
The radiator fan switch should be on the thermostat housing. Disconnect it and jumper those two leads on the plug. See if the fan comes on. If the fan comes on, the switch is dead. If it doesnt come on, it most likely is the fan motor. You can unplug the fan and connect it straight to the battery to test. If the fuse and relay are good. Its the temp switch.

Does the condenser fam come on? I beleave the condenser fan on yours is on the drivers side. Radiator fan is on the passengers side. It's motor is quite bigger.

Under the hood, the air intake for the ac system is right in that firewall. Should look like a plastic screen up under the wiper arms. Leaves and all kinds of stuff can settle in there. You'll have vacum that out to make sure there isnt any thing in obstructing the intake. Really need to get that air flow figured out or it will kill the compressor eventually from freezing over.

What ever you do, dont let it over heat in the red or you'll pay like i did. Get that fan working first and then tsckle the ac.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts