Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A/C in my 2006 CRV is not putting out cold air, hot only. I have read that CRV compressors are notoriously faulty but my diagnostic tool reports no codes indicating any problems.
Would a faulty ac clutch, compressor generate a DTC code?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
Compressors were fixed on Gen2s around mid-2004. As Theman5 said, no codes with A/C issues. OBD is for emissions.

Go to a shop and have the issue properly diagnosed. (They will do a visual check for leaks, then charge the system including a UV dye to make future leak identification easier.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I performed the diagnostic test that I Found on this forum, turn key to II, hold the circulation button, press rear defrost 5x... it performed the test and there were no flashing lights afterwards reporting a code.

When I attempt to add r-134, the gauge I have reports that it is overcharged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Compressors were fixed on Gen2s around mid-2004. As Theman5 said, no codes with A/C issues. OBD is for emissions.

Go to a shop and have the issue properly diagnosed. (They will do a visual check for leaks, then charge the system including a UV dye to make future leak identification easier.)
There was a TSB or recall on the compressor clutch that covered 2006 CRV I believe. My own compressor crapped out at 120k or so. I would theck the clutch first and see if it turns on. Then check the charge, etc.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

I performed the diagnostic test that I Found on this forum, turn key to II, hold the circulation button, press rear defrost 5x... it performed the test and there were no flashing lights afterwards reporting a code.

When I attempt to add r-134, the gauge I have reports that it is overcharged.
That diagnostic test is for the HVAC control unit and module only. It does not test the heater or A/C systems themselves, only the dash controls. If your system has been overcharged, it is probably tripping itself off to prevent damage. Never, ever, ever add freon without knowing what you are doing. Too much gas will quickly destroy the compressor, and you could get hurt. Please take the car to a qualified A/C tech before you do anything else, as it could be a simple relay or clutch issue. Further attempts to fix it without the expertise to do so are just going to cost you big bucks before it's over. This work requires skills. It may not have a bad compressor. Don't guess, and don't take the word of those here who say it's the compressor, when they have not laid a hand on the car. There is no such thing as long distance A/C repair, or unskilled repair. Again, please stop now, and go to a qualified shop. An honest guy will save you money, if you haven't ruined the system trying to fix it yourself. A dishonest one won't cost more than it will if you break it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts