Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am new to them forum but it looks like a great resource.

I have two CRV's a 1999 and a 2005. I love the both.

The 1999 is starting to have some issues at 212,000 but I still love the dang thing and will not give up on it yet.

The current issue is a weird one. The a/c and heat will randomly just drop power. I will be going along and then the fan turns off and i see the lights on the control units go out also. It almost like a light that is flickering in your house. Then it might run down the road for 4 hours and it be fine then 4 hours and 1 minutes it could turn off and on about 6 times in 30 seconds.

I thought it might be a short in the controls itself so I ordered a new one and it didn't fix it. I moved the wires around that go to the unit and could not get it to replicate the problem. For some reason I feel that it has something to do with the fan and or recirculating fan. It seem that it has more issues when I push the recirculating button but it not always 100% correlation.

I look forward to any feedback and thoughts on how to track down the issue.

thank,
Nathan

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Any chance water is getting in from the cold air intake under the hood and shorting something out? When the gasket around the window trim gets old water starts leaking in. When the recirculate is closed the door covers the hole, when it is open the water can get in with the cold air. Normally you will notice water leaking down to the floor boards on the passenger side. Maybe if you don't have rubber mats you didn't notice.

There is a 3/4" or so tall lip around the air intake, but if the angle is just right the water will run down the windshield and fall right through. I fixed mine by taking a piece of roof flashing and just sitting it on top. The natural curve of it made a dome over the opening and I didn't even need to fasten anything down. I have seen write ups from other people about cutting open plastic bottles to do the same thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any chance water is getting in from the cold air intake under the hood and shorting something out? When the gasket around the window trim gets old water starts leaking in. When the recirculate is closed the door covers the hole, when it is open the water can get in with the cold air. Normally you will notice water leaking down to the floor boards on the passenger side. Maybe if you don't have rubber mats you didn't notice.

There is a 3/4" or so tall lip around the air intake, but if the angle is just right the water will run down the windshield and fall right through. I fixed mine by taking a piece of roof flashing and just sitting it on top. The natural curve of it made a dome over the opening and I didn't even need to fasten anything down. I have seen write ups from other people about cutting open plastic bottles to do the same thing.

I assume the intake is above the fan and recirculate? This happens in non rain environments also.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Never, it was taken out recently and shaken to know loose dirt out.
Way overdue, they are available @ many auto parts locations, my advise, go to Honda and get OEM. With restricted air-flow, I'm thinking it's causing overheating blower motor, JMO, good luck and let us know the outcome.
David g.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I assume the intake is above the fan and recirculate? This happens in non rain environments also.
Yes, There is a round hole about the side of a bowling ball that is maybe squished a bit on the front and back and it drops straight down into the fan. That hole has that rim that sticks up 3/4" or so, but water can run down the windshield at the right angle and drop straight down the hole bypassing the little wall around it.

I can picture water getting to the motor causing that to not work, but can't imagine that messing with the lights on the control panel unless maybe the motor is trying to draw too much amperage or something. That was an issue with my girlfriends Saab. I had to take the whole blower motor out and clean it up and oil it because water getting in it seized the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts