Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do many of you use the auto climate control vs. manual for your A/C? I've had auto climate control on several cars but most of the time it leaves something to be desired in actual comfort level. Most of my Hondas and Nissans have had excellent cold air. When using manually I have to set the temp at 65 or below to get cold air to come out. Has anyone else noticed this? Also when I have used auto feature and check the climate control screen it is not showing the A/C as being on. Any other experiences on this?

·
Registered
730 Posts
For me the verdict is still out on the Auto Climate Control. I tend to like to control the A/C and be more specific on the temp, fan speed, and vent settings so I tend to not use the full auto setting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For me the verdict is still out on the Auto Climate Control. I tend to like to control the A/C and be more specific on the temp, fan speed, and vent settings so I tend to not use the full auto setting.
I agree with this 100%.
I've had experience working at different auto dealerships, with different makes & models of cars and auto climate settings, and some just work better than others.
I've also noticed that on some makes, there is a "mean temp" usually around mid 60s(as the OP described)where the compressor can't seem to make up its mind to turn on or not, and, if you bump it lower you'll hear it kick in.
As a result, for customers who have remote start, I'll often tell them to leave it in low 60s or even the "LO" temp setting when they turn it off in the summer so that when they start the car will actually cool down.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Do many of you use the auto climate control vs. manual for your A/C? I've had auto climate control on several cars but most of the time it leaves something to be desired in actual comfort level. Most of my Hondas and Nissans have had excellent cold air. When using manually I have to set the temp at 65 or below to get cold air to come out. Has anyone else noticed this? Also when I have used auto feature and check the climate control screen it is not showing the A/C as being on. Any other experiences on this?
I think ACC is trying bring the cabin temp to a certain level, and then hold it there; on a hot day, it's going to blast things to get it to a 72-degree setpoint. When you aren't in Auto, you are regulating the temp of whatever is coming out of the vents, so it makes sense that setting it to 72, isn't going to feel very cold, because it isn't.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use auto at all times on all my recent vehicles... set it & forget it 95% of time

Sometimes I go manual to turn A/C off if warm temps are just borderline.... I prefer fresh air with windows cracked & moon roof popped open

·
Registered
219 Posts
I see folks with auto climate control, and especially car salespeople, get in the vehicle and crank the temperature all the way up or all the way down, depending on the conditions at the time. Being who I am, this drives me nuts! All you need to do is set the desired temperature and the system will automatically go to full hot or cold if it needs to to get the cabin to temperature. That's why they call it 'automatic'. Why don't people understand this? Don't they have thermostats at home?

I can understand that some of you control freaks (and I'm writing that term in the friendliest way possible :) ) don't want to cede control to the system, so you operate it manually anyway, and that's okay, but car buyers and salespeople really need to be educated on how these things work and are intended to be used.

·
Registered
83 Posts
To those of you who don't care for ACC, do you also hate HD TV? I don't get it - I've had ACC going back 15 years now on several different cars and can''t imagine what the issue is. As a few here said - set it, forget it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
As soon as I hit the RECIRC button I'm no longer on Auto. ACC brings in fresh air and if you are behind a diesel vehicle or a vehicle with bad smelling exhaust, Auto is not workin' for me.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
To those of you who don't care for ACC, do you also hate HD TV?

^^^ I'll let you know when I replace my black & white TV set. LOL

One of the auto mags commented on this, some folks don't have the patience for ACC. If it's not to their liking in winter, they turn the temp up to 90 and them complain about the fan noise! ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
To those of you who don't care for ACC, do you also hate HD TV? I don't get it - I've had ACC going back 15 years now on several different cars and can''t imagine what the issue is. As a few here said - set it, forget it.
that's why we have auto and manual both. People do not have to love one vs other.we have choices SD/HD/4K...lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
hmmmm...
I don't believe any one here used the term "hated".
I believe it's just a personal preference, and AFAIC, there is a marked difference between ACC in a home, for example, to that of many of today's automobiles.
As I stated earlier, the issue in some cars is its just not as precise when it monitors ac compressor control....
In my experience there is a "gray area', so to speak, in many vehicles.
I've seen awesome ACC in Lexus vehicles and then awful ACC in some other Asian brands...not just some Hondas. Either way, it's great to have manual controls also, as someone earlier stated.
It is what it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my 2000 i30 I can set the temp at 70 and it just always makes the car perfect whatever the condition. In my new CRV it seems like I constantly need to move it up and down. I was frying on a sunny day when it was cool outside and I needed to set it to 60 before it would even turn the fan up. It's a little disappointing my 17 year old car is "smarter". I replaced a 2014 accord with my CRV and while I noticed it wasn't as good as my i30, it seemed a lot better than my CRV. Not sure if I have a problem or if this is just how it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts