Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 2019 EX-L, purchased new in Feb., now with approx 8000 miles. The a/c blows cold air, but I must start out on LOW and adjust in 1 degree increments as the car cools off - never have I had the thermostat higher that 60~61 to keep the car comfortable. I'm in the Northeast so temps average 70-90 here this time of year.
Is this normal for the numbers to be so low? my last car it was comfortable around 70 or so...

thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The key to it all is are you “comfortable”......not some number. The “numbers” differ between our RAV4 and our CRV to be “comfortable”. We do not use “auto mode” in either one. We old school manually set HVAC to “comfortable” using the temp, fan speed and vent selector.

In the thermometer section at Walmart, you may find 2 out of the dozen or so displaying the same temp.

We are on something like day 30 of 100*+ temps. On both vehicles, TEMP is set on “LO”.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I get it crv383 - it was just a point of discussion - just wondering if others were experiencing the ac temps that same way I was, or if its something I should look into.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
I live in Northern California and summer is 80's to near 100.

Initially I used my AC on manual and had similar challenges to you Bill. Then I tried it on automatic climate control and found it did a much better job for me and was a whole lot less effort as well. I keep my climate setting at 68.

So from my experience, the car is better at managing interior climate control then a person working it in manual mode. That said.. in warm weather.. it will start with blowers at maximum and closed air circulation and within about 5 minutes it begins gradually lowering the blower until it gets to level 2 on the blower. It generally will keep closed circulation in warm weather though... probably to conserve load on the AC and hence fuel economy.

If you manually force air circulation to "external air" cooling performance suffers in my experience if the external air is very warm (ie: 85+)

With regard to settings for the temperature control... I don't really think the numerical readouts can be taken all that seriously as absolutes ... as vehicle cabins are notorious for irregular temperatures in different parts of the cabin (due to air circulation patterns, different levels of heat being absorbed, direction the vehicle is facing with respect to teh sun, etc). The windshield being a huge source of infrared heat from the sun and exterior temperature. So.. set it to a number that gets you where you feel comfortable and move on in my view.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always use auto mode. What I find interesting is you set yours at 68, in hotter weather than me. This number makes for sense, which is why I am questioning 60~61. 62 is about the highest I have had it yet, even in moderate 70's weather.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
I always use auto mode. What I find interesting is you set yours at 68, in hotter weather than me. This number makes for sense, which is why I am questioning 60~61. 62 is about the highest I have had it yet, even in moderate 70's weather.
I actually was not aware that you could set the temperature setting that low. I thought it bottomed out at 65. I learn something new every day. :)

I have never actually taken a thermometer reading in various parts of the cabin.. so I have no idea how low the temperature actually goes inside the cabin .... just that I am comfortable at that setting (70 degrees ambient is my personal sweet spot for comfort).

·
Registered
190 Posts
I stick it on Lo in summer - the numbers and auto don't seem to do it in 100+ heat. The only cars we've had where the numbers make sense and auto climate works well are luxury cars (Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti) that cost quite a bit more than the CRV. Not complaining tho.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
no, I get it crv383 - it was just a point of discussion - just wondering if others were experiencing the ac temps that same way I was, or if its something I should look into.
What you need to look in to is vent temp, temp setting on "LO". I'm seeing 38*F to 40*F using a probe thermometer in the drivers side vent. Moving the temp setting above "LO" starts adding heated air from the heater core mixed into the HVAC system. Even using manual mode with temp above "LO" adds heated air to the system.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I actually was not aware that you could set the temperature setting that low. I thought it bottomed out at 65. I learn something new every day. :)

I have never actually taken a thermometer reading in various parts of the cabin.. so I have no idea how low the temperature actually goes inside the cabin .... just that I am comfortable at that setting (70 degrees ambient is my personal sweet spot for comfort).
As long as vent air is blowing on your face/head and your face/head feel comfortable.......the rest of your body will also feel comfortable. No way cabin temp will be 70*-72* in 100*+ ambient.....like ones house cabin/indoor temp is when you set the house stat at 70*-72*. That's why you need the car vents blowing on your face/head when it's hot outside. Vent air temp is well above 38*-40* by the time the air from the vent reaches ones face/head.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Been 85-90 here lately and I just set my AC to Auto 69 most of the time. Since it's blowing on my face I actually get kind of cold. If I have passengers I sometimes lower it to 67 just so everyone is comfortable. Never really felt the need to go any lower except maybe if it was parked under the sun when I first get in, but the auto usually takes care of that pretty well.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
A light freeze and 2”-3” of snow sounds pretty good about now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts