Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always said that my Hondas (2002 and 2004 CR-Vs) were as reliable as refrigerators - well, the refrigerator quit today. Literally - the A/C in the 2002 quit cooling - suddenly, with no drama and while underway- today. No noises, belt is still turning. I know this is impossible to diagnose long-distance but what are my most likely outcomes? 130k, babied, all maintenance up to date.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Blown compressor? My 2002 had the same issue at about 70,000 miles. Hinda repaired it out of warranty for absolutely free. It is a known issue with that generation. I think there may have been an extended warranty issued for the 02/04.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sigh. I think you are right, thanks. The more I read, the more I learn that I have apparently been lucky with my two CRVs - neither has ever yet "blown" an A/C comp. I understand that the Denso replacement is far superior to the Keihin unit and that there, additionally, are replacement Chinese kits out there that are MUCH cheaper. Any experience with these? I don't mind saving money but I don't want to do this job twice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Had vehicle in the local Honda dealer's shop on 7/16. Their diagnosis is trashed compressor unit. Will have them replace it, along with drive belt, 7/22. From what I have recently read, I consider myself lucky that original unit lasted 13 years and 130K miles. I should probably budget for another one soon - our other CR-V is 11 years old with 105K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts