Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
That tire shimmy thing bugs me too. I wonder if it could be that one of those tires, when left sitting for, say, several days or more, might be taking somewhat of a set. Back in the day this was an everyday thing with regular belted tires, but it kind of went away, mostly, when steel belted radials came along. But I have had a few tires that still did it just a little over the years. Usually a good warm-up run was enough to even it out and the flat spot or other irregularity would go away. Sometimes it would later develop a belt defect and have to be replaced. Sometimes pothole damage was the cause. Of course, I've bent a wheel and had the tire be fine, so you never know. I'm just saying I would suspect a tire issue. Whether it warrants more attention depends on if it gets worse or changes. I'd say let it go and keep an eye on it., and eventually you will figure it out or it will make itself apparent.

I wish we had that registration thing here. I hate the tedious annual inspection and registration.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Our registration is a lot less, but it is based on the original retail value of the car--it does not decrease over time. Plus we can add $12 which is a yearly membership to all of our state parks. But we make up for that with the highest auto insurance rates in the country. (There was a "reform" bill that was supposed to save us a lot, but I saw barely any downward movement in our auto insurance rates.)

BTW, was the car parked long in Buffalo without being moved? I'm wondering if your tire(s) have become flat-spotted. That could cause some shimmy in your suspension.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
I would shudder to think there might be higher insurance rates anywhere than here in Austin, where they are literally ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My last bill for six months was $2,284, three cars (the two '09 CR-Vs, and minimal coverage on the '04 Civic).

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Dang! That's up there! I am paying just over $700 every 6 months for liability and uninsured motorist (required) only. And I have the highest safe driver rating possible. That's also with every possible discount, including defensive driving, senior, etc., for just my CR-V. No collision, no comp. In the highest priced county in Texas, Travis.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It's insane. We got stuck with having to fund a lifetime personal injury benefit, and the recent "reform" offers new limits of $500,000 and $250,000 for a reduced amount. Thing is, that benefit raised the cost even for minimal liability/property damage, so about half the people in Detroit are driving uninsured. (There is a company that will sell a week-long policy just so they can get their plates renewed.)

What amazes me is my experiences buying cars in Ohio. When we've purchased cars in Michigan, the dealers were very adamant that we could not complete the transaction until we presented them with proof of insurance (which includes the VIN) for the new vehicle. In Ohio, they never pushed for it; I later found out that you can sign a "letter of financial responsibility" to drive it away, and their insurance rates are much lower. But it makes me wonder just how good their coverage is for the lower rates.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
Wow! About a third of drivers in this area are illegal aliens, who are unlicensed and uninsured. A highly touted benefit of being in a sanctuary city.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
I took one tire to the tire shop, they said the thing inside the valve stem was bad.

And on that same wheel I have a new problem, one I think I caused:

Looks like a sawzall blade did this. I have no interest in replacing the axle, just the boot. It's been driven about 750 miles since.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Has any CV joint grease been flinging out of that hole? Oops...just saw at the very top of the photo, the black moly grease.

They do sell replacement boots. I did this job once in my life--on a 2002 Civic, where the boots began cracking from heat and age deep in the bellows. It was not impossible, but it was one of the messiest jobs I ever did, since you need to repack the joint with new moly grease.

I was going to say that if it wasn't yet flinging grease out, a dab of silicone on that hole would fix it up. But if some of the grease has gotten out, then you risk drying out the CV joint bearings and then you would need the new axles.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
BTW, I've learned to rely on using nitrile gloves. I buy them by the box of 100 gloves, and try to do all of my messy work with the gloves on.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
A week ago, when researching how to fix the CV joint boot, I came across a possible fix. After looking at the boot, I noticed I had two holes in it. The big one was 1/8” in diameter. Certainly some kind of glue could do the job, I thought.

Most sites said RTV silicone glue doesn’t work; it doesn’t stick well. But I found a few online references that mentioned using Shoe Goo as a semi-permanent fix. Yes, that glue you use on sneakers works just fine on CV joint boots. Clean the area with alcohol, put some Shoe Goo there and let it sit for at least 24 hours. If necessary, add a bit more a few hours after the first application.

I already had both, so I decided to try it. 300 miles later it is still holding fine. That’s $250 I didn’t have to spend at the local transmission shop.

------

A day or two after applying the Shoe Goo, I was out for a ride and wondered if the tires had ever been rotated. Was that causing the shimmy in the steering wheel?

I already knew the tires were replaced in 2015 at about 15,000 miles. In looking through the paperwork again, I saw they were rotated at 17,000 miles... and that was it. The car has 31,000 miles on it now, so at least one and maybe two rotations should have been done by now.

So that was today’s project. Today (only the third day in the past 30 where I am not at work) was tire rotation day. Rear tires came forward, front tires went to the opposite side rear.

Then I went out for a ride. I’m happy to say the shimmy is ‘down in the noise’ now, for those times it shows up. It’s nearly impossible to separate it from normal road vibrations.

-------

Fuel economy update, over the past seven fill-ups (manually calculated):
26.07 (computer showed 24.7)
24.57 (computer showed 25.8)
24.04 (computer showed 24.4)

Removing the 20.89 figure, that averages out to 24.64 mpg.

The reason one tank had such poor fuel economy is that I disconnected the battery for some other work just before the tank was filled up. The computer had to re-learn it’s parameters.

Maybe now I can finally start enjoying this car.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I put it up for sale on Craigslist and a local Facebook page last night. Within 30 minutes I had offers from both, and one lived nearby so he came to look and we went for a ride. When we got back home he said he’d take it. He was the first one to look at it.

He gave me a check this morning, and I gave him the keys. It’s his car now; I’m back in my baby, the 07 Accord. No rust, softer ride, softer seats, bigger gas tank, better fuel economy. In a town that gets about 40” of snow a year, AWD may be nice but it’s not absolutely necessary. And, I already have a separate set of 16” snow tires & rims for the Accord. I wasn’t looking forward to buying new snow tires, rims and TPMS sensors. (17” tires on the CR-V)

I’d have to spend even more to put a block heater in because the CR-V didn’t come with one but the Accord did. Buffalo gets a lot of snow, but the temperature gets below zero maybe once every decade or so. Here it’s a yearly thing, so block heaters and snow tires are an absolute necessity.

Bye to CRVOC! Thanks for the time.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
We'll miss ya! And your journey with the CR-V. I would bet if you'd had one that didn't have so many rust issues, you'd have had a better experience. I can't go back to riding in a car anymore. I did enjoy having my daughter's TSX here to work on and it's a lot of fun to drive, but the old arthritic joints start complaining when I have to pull myself out of the car all the time.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I put it up for sale on Craigslist and a local Facebook page last night. Within 30 minutes I had offers from both, and one lived nearby so he came to look and we went for a ride. When we got back home he said he’d take it. He was the first one to look at it.
Bye to CRVOC! Thanks for the time.
Well, that was quick and unexpected. I think you spent more time figuring out when you could pick it up, than you did actually owning it. :)

You don't have to leave, as you have a ton of knowledge that others would find helpful.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,560 Posts
We enjoyed making the journey with you, so thanks for sharing it with us. I think we should start a pool on when you will accidentally stumble onto another CR-V and be back with us. Happy trails, until we meet again!

101 - 116 of 116 Posts