Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda,
Love our CR-V's (2015 and 2005), but we confess that we are looking wistfully at the Toyota RAV4 Adventure. It's about the same size, weight, and horsepower of the 2015 CR-V, BUT it has a beefed-up radiator, an ATF cooler, an oil cooler, and a maximum tow capacity of 3500 pounds. In case your R&D people haven't told you, the interest in and sales of lightweight and ultralight trailers is rapidly increasing. A CR-V with features and tow capabilities similar to the RAV4 Adventure would sell well! Please consider it.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,127 Posts
Before I centered on buying a CR-V I also researched the Odyssey, for just this reason - towing ability. Here's what I discovered - The high-dollar tow package for the Odyssey consists of the hitch and harness, and "oil coolers" for the trans and power steering. These oil coolers consist of a replacement line for each circuit that has a few fins on the line, as opposed to the stock non-finned version on vehicles without the tow package. Having looked at the parts, I seriously doubt they would make one iota of difference. So I looked at units without the tow package, knowing that adding the hitch and harness would suffice. Reviews I read backed up my assumption. It does have a much higher towing capacity, but that v-6 mileage is not what I was looking for.

That said, My '07 AWD EX-L has the class 3 Curt hitch and harness (which is less money than the Class 1 Honda unit). Towing capacity is still 1500#. That is probably sufficient for any of my purposes, but if not I would simply add some rear air shocks as helpers. Incidentally, the previous owner of my CR-V used it to tow a loaded down medium size U-haul trailer from Anaheim, Ca to Austin, Tx with no issues. With the load balanced (the inside of the car was also loaded full and had 3 people in it) he said it rode mostly level and steady the whole way, did not get hot, and had no problems at all. I am selling my F250, but I have a woodshop, so if I need to do any towing I can use a 5x10 trailer if I balance the load evenly, and haul wood or a machine locally. Meanwhile, I will get much better than the 10mpg the truck gets, eh? So far, it's working.

·
Administrator
3,435 Posts
I haven't checked the Rav 4 but Honda UK says the las gen CRV tie ratings were 3300lbs with either the 2.0 gas or 1.6 diesel. I don't know if the cvt is on either of those.
They are just getting the latest style now over there. The diesel comes with the 9 speed box used on the Pilot.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,127 Posts
Toyota can say what they want, I seriously doubt there is any 4-cyl. vehicle anywhere capable of pulling a 33-3500 pound load reliably. It'll be a stretch for a six-banger. Anyone who has ever had any real amount of towing experience will know that (I am a retired truck driver). Just sayin.'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts