Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the owner of a CRV that has suffered from the “magically growing oil volume” problem since early summer 2017, I check my oil at least once a week. The “problem” has become less chronic over the last few months, sometimes a 1/16 above other times 1/16 below the Max hole with little gas smell. We just returned from a 1,100 mile, 750 miles of highway driving, vacation road trip. When I checked my oil after returning from the trip the level was 1/4 of an inch below the Max hole with no gas smell.

Is losing 1/4 inch @ 10 oz. of oil in 1,100 miles something new to be concerned about?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Driving a long distance will decrease the fuel that's mixed into the oil, from my understanding. Thus the lower reading on the dipstick. It's a good thing.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driving a long distance will decrease the fuel that's mixed into the oil, from my understanding. Thus the lower reading on the dipstick. It's a good thing.
You would think so, but it is also 3/16 of an inch lower than it was immediately after an oil change.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As the owner of a CRV that has suffered from the “magically growing oil volume” problem since early summer 2017, I check my oil at least once a week. The “problem” has become less chronic over the last few months, sometimes a 1/16 above other times 1/16 below the Max hole with little gas smell. We just returned from a 1,100 mile, 750 miles of highway driving, vacation road trip. When I checked my oil after returning from the trip the level was 1/4 of an inch below the Max hole with no gas smell.

Is losing 1/4 inch @ 10 oz. of oil in 1,100 miles something new to be concerned about?
I imagine Honda's response would be it's normal for the engine to consume almost a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Of course you can't rack up many 1k miles at that rate. :)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Another thought is that there was some gas in your oil, and the long drive and sustained higher engine temperatures burned off some of the excess fuel.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
329 Posts

From Honda's point of view this is nothing to worry about. As any other car manufacturer Honda will do nothing until oil using would get more than quart of oil per 1000 miles.
BMW say it is normal to use a quart of oil per 800 miles!

I do not believe your engine gets less oil diluted over time, it will only increased. And only way to find out is to make the oil analysis.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,792 Posts
^^ X2
And only way to find out is to make the oil analysis.

Whether the oil level goes up or down, it is good that you check the oil on a regular basis. Heck, that used to be a standard procedure on older cars with loose mechanical tolerances (especially the clunkers I owned in my first few years of driving). :king:

Oil level is only a rough indicator. You would need to do an Oil Analysis on a regular basis as @Zip1 did in order to determine if you have an issue.

Hopefully your engine is actually allowing less fuel past the rings now...but it might be from 'lightweight' cruising (less boost than under acceleration, you know).

Keep checking. :Bow::Bow::Bow:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
You are loosing oil because you check the level TOO OFTEN. Each time you check the oil, you are removing oil from the motor when you wipe off the dip stick. (being facetious, just kidding :whistle:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts