Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what this includes that I can’t do myself in 5 minutes with a $10 filter an a can of Febreze?

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Brand Event

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,785 Posts
It's simple. They "Refresh" the cabin. All soft materials, upholstery, carpets, headliner, are removed, cleaned, deodorized and replaced.
What else could it mean?
Does seem pretty cheap though. :)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I'm going to guess they use a can of Klima-Cleaner (or similar) to get musty junk out of the evap and heater core (about $20 from Amazon), and then replace your cabin filter, which is a $10, 5 minute, service.

This service is most-effective as a wallet cleaner. Unless the A/C smells musty, change the cabin filter when the MM tells you and don't worry about it any further.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's simple. They "Refresh" the cabin. All soft materials, upholstery, carpets, headliner, are removed, cleaned, deodorized and replaced.
What else could it mean?
Does seem pretty cheap though. :)
I doubt all of that is done.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,785 Posts
This service is most-effective as a wallet cleaner. Unless the A/C smells musty, change the cabin filter when the MM tells you and don't worry about it any further.
I run on dirt roads a lot, which the MM doesn't know, so I change the cabin filter every 2 or 3 months.

Reactions: wesleystripes

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX-L Lunar Silver
184 Posts
And I thought it was a rip when my dealer wanted 49.99 to replace the cabin air filter....
And my dealer charges $54 to replace the cabin air filter. That's a money maker.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,836 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,077 Posts
I wonder what this includes that I can’t do myself in 5 minutes with a $10 filter an a can of Febreze?

View attachment 150961
$10 and a can of Febreze is not comparable.

Febreze will not clean out mold spores and other organics from your cabin air distribution system, much less inhibit them. Does your vehicle actually even need it though is the real question. Unlike other brands I have owned over the years, I have never had an issue with any mustiness or odd odor accumulation in the cabin air system.. so in my view... don't fix what does not exist.. and especially don't pay someone else to do it when it does not need to be done. Honda may have some issues with compressors going belly up, but they do appear to have interior cabin airflow systems quite well designed.

The cabin filter can certainly be changed by the owner, if they have anything other than two thumbs and are not blind folded. And it should be routinely checked and replaced, rather than ignored.

Dealers are struggling right now for a range of pandemic derived reasons. I can't blame them for offering additional novel services if they choose.. because quite simply I decide what gets serviced and how on my Hondas, not the dealer. And offering additional services focused on some of the more "out of sight, out of owners mind" things like cabin air filtration does make sense.. because most owners probably won't service their cabin air filtration until it fails them, or a service provider pokes at them to do so. So, I would just say "thanks but no thanks" in my case. Leave the service offering for other owners who do value the service and are willing to pay for the offered service.

I certainly don't see a need to ridicule a dealership for what they offer, as long as they are not misrepresenting what they are doing.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
630 Posts
I'm sure someone will pay for it.

I got quoted $68+ tax for a Y8 head gasket at a local Honda dealer.
I got it shipped 800+ miles away by another Honda dealer for $36.

Some Dealers have no customers, They have victims.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reminds me of the "oil change & lube special". What do they "lube"? There are no grease fitting to "lube" , @ least that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,077 Posts
Reminds me of the "oil change & lube special". What do they "lube"? There are no grease fitting to "lube" , @ least that I know of.
Heh.. on a B service, my dealer checks and lubes all the door locks, and other mechanical connecting points and mechanisms in the vehicle. Yeah.. nothing to lube regularly in the suspension.. but plenty of things to get a dab with Shinetsu Silicone Grease.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts