Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a stupid and cheap way to change transmission oil atf. Especially for hard shifting and gunky/dirty trannys. I own a 2000 crv that shifted very hard and late. Having nothing to lose, I drained the atf with dexron 3. I changed the atf three times with a short driving trip in between the changes to mix it well. It started to shift better. Then I drained it with Honda atf three times with driving in between. Now it shifts like new. Because there is no filter, the gunk blocks the inside of the tranny. But if you change the atf, it cleans it each time. So basically I used the cheap dexron 3 to really flush the gunk out before I really put the Honda atf in. But the correct way is to use Honda atf.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
See the first 'sticky' under the Maintenance and Service forum for the how to. I think it'll tell you how much fluid you'll need also.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now the car is changing gear in-between 2000 to 2500 rpm. Before it was shifting at 3500 rpm with a thud. Now it is smooth as butter. I used the dex3 for three changes, and then put genuine Honda atf.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
People have had success by draining it, refilling it, pulling the return line off the radiator and then starting it and running it while pouring more fluid in. When the fluid looks clean turn it off. That will exchange most of the fluid without quite so much waste.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts