Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 and 2015 CRV and replaced new battery 4 and 3 respectively years ago. Each time when oil change, Honda tech inspected and said battery still good. But I know the battery will quit at some point without warning. So my question, should we need to replace new battery after 4 or 5 years? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
2,756 Posts
no one will have the right answer. if you feel the battery is aging, then, by all means, do what is best.

Reactions: lenbata

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,281 Posts
In this age of sophisticated (?) electronics, it is common for SOME people to replace their batteries every 4 years when they feel as you do. It is all about peace of mind.

There are a lot of things going on after you shut down. For example, On Gen5, there is a purge pump that comes on several hours after shutdown, there are posts in that section about the 'unexplained' noise.

Not just Honda. A friend complained because their Kia needed a new battery after 1.5 years!

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,549 Posts
If you find or hear it taking its time to start up, perhaps its time. Especially if you've just driven a bunch of miles and it should be fully charged. If you really want to wait and see when it fails, at least carry a charged jump start pack with you.

I typically change the battery when the warranty expires. Its the most preventable type of breakdown.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
97 Posts
Depends a lot on where you live. Living in the northeast, my experience is that batteries usually lasted 4 years, maybe 5.
Moved to Florida and you're lucky to get 3 years out of battery. The hot weather is a death knell for car batteries.

·
Registered
851 Posts
In addition to parasitic drain, a major factory in battery life is heat. If you live in a hot climate, park in the hot sun, have a lot of trips where the battery is soaking in underhood heat, I’d replace at the 4 year mark. Otherwise, 5 years should be safe. As mentioned, it’s the easiest breakdown to prevent.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In this age of sophisticated (?) electronics, it is common for SOME people to replace their batteries every 4 years when they feel as you do. It is all about peace of mind.

There are a lot of things going on after you shut down. For example, On Gen5, there is a purge pump that comes on several hours after shutdown, there are posts in that section about the 'unexplained' noise.

Not just Honda. A friend complained because their Kia needed a new battery after 1.5 years!
+1 on "not just Honda":)
BMWs are notorious for the same issue. Its very common to have to replace battery every 3-4 years.
Many use battery tenders to maintain their batteries. Especially when car is not used or used in a way that contineously leaves the battery in more and more depleted state, deteriorating it in the process.
Mileage, weather, level of electronics and custom coding could alter that timeline.
There are some cars that still have their original batteries at 7-8 years of age but with low mileage.
Another variable is having your intelligent key in range of the car. It seems that they "ping" each other continuously, discharging both their batteries in the process. Many resort to a Faraday cage for the key, if stored too close to the garage/car.
Added benefit is that the Faraday cage also helps prevent thefts through signal amplifier use
In any case, preventative replacement = piece of mind...priceless:)
Our 2016 SE with 45000 on it is still with original battery. I check and top up with distilled water every 3-4 months. So far so good. Also carry a lithium ion jump pack just in case. Expecting the oem battery to last another 2-3 years. When the time comes will switch to the bigger size/capacity...

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
327 Posts
My 2016 oem battery was still working after 4 years but I got sick of it dying on me after sitting every 4 days even after fully recharge each time with my noco smart charger. So I replaced it with a bigger 24F AGM battery and now I can leave it in the garage for 2-3 weeks and still starts up fine. I would change it every 5 years at my own time in the summer in my own garage instead of middle of a winter storm outside on the side of the road.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,342 Posts
In the last couple of years the entire automotive battery industry has been taken over by just a couple of makers, and they have intentionally lowered battery quality (planned obsolescence) to sell more batteries. So you will no longer be able to purchase batteries of the same quality as in the past. My solution is to buy my batteries with a 3-year free replacement warranty. I also upgraded to a Group 24F (larger) AGM battery, and I use a NOCO Genius 5 smart battery tender. But I no longer drive every day since retirement. My last two 51R batteries lasted 18 and 15 months respectively. The Group 24F upgrade is easily done in the Gen 4. Here's a thread on it:

Larger Group 24 Battery Install

Reactions: Kurbel and Carbuff2

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just replaced the original battery on my 2016 (~3.5 years old) because I was tired of it not having enough power remaining to startup after running accessory mode for 20-25 mins with the engine off. I did the 24F upgrade with the Odyssey tray and cover and have no issues now.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi FWD
75 Posts
I just replaced the original battery on my 2016 (~3.5 years old) because I was tired of it not having enough power remaining to startup after running accessory mode for 20-25 mins with the engine off. I did the 24F upgrade with the Odyssey tray and cover and have no issues now.
What year of Odyssey? Do you have part numbers for the tray and cover?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used these parts below and an EverStart Platinum AGM 24F battery from Walmart. I used 2013 Odyssey when searching for parts, but I know other years may have the same part #.

31531-TK8-A00 COVER, BATTERY
31521-TK8-A00 BOX, BATTERY

On my 2016 CR-V, the negative battery terminal was a very tight fit and required removing the wire push pin holding it in a spot and some tugging. The positive terminal required unclipping the wire and undoing some wire wrapping in my wire sets before connecting everything together, but the positive wires were pretty easy to work with.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi FWD
75 Posts
I used these parts below and an EverStart Platinum AGM 24F battery from Walmart. I used 2013 Odyssey when searching for parts, but I know other years may have the same part #.

31531-TK8-A00 COVER, BATTERY
31521-TK8-A00 BOX, BATTERY

On my 2016 CR-V, the negative battery terminal was a very tight fit and required removing the wire push pin holding it in a spot and some tugging. The positive terminal required unclipping the wire and undoing some wire wrapping in my wire sets before connecting everything together, but the positive wires were pretty easy to work with.
Oh nice Thank you. This is something I am looking forward of upgrading. One more thing tho, did the battery tie down sits perfectly on the new 24F battery? If it's not too much trouble can you post some pictures? Thanks..

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
327 Posts
Oh nice Thank you. This is something I am looking forward of upgrading. One more thing tho, did the battery tie down sits perfectly on the new 24F battery? If it's now too much trouble can you post some pictures? Thanks.
I posted a few pics with my upgrade here. See below link.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2012 and 2015 CRV and replaced new battery 4 and 3 respectively years ago. Each time when oil change, Honda tech inspected and said battery still good. But I know the battery will quit at some point without warning. So my question, should we need to replace new battery after 4 or 5 years? Thank you.
I have a 2017 that just passed 36000 miles, dealership didn’t say anything, then no need to warranty, the tow truck service tech that replaced my battery says Honda batteries are crap, slight paraphrase. He said never trust them past the warranty and likely not even to it. He replaced his the day he got his CR-V a bit extreme but a dead battery any morning before work sucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since I replaced my battery (it failed just before the 3yr warranty expired) in August 2019, I keep a trickle smart charger connected to the battery when the car is not being used. The charger has a pulse feature that dissolves accumulated sulfates on the lead plates thus extending electrical service life. And periodically I check the battery with a multimeter to note the daytime voltage and after driving at night, the higher voltage generated after headlight use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh nice Thank you. This is something I am looking forward of upgrading. One more thing tho, did the battery tie down sits perfectly on the new 24F battery? If it's not too much trouble can you post some pictures? Thanks..
Yes, the battery tie downs do work fine. The tie down shifted a bit diagonal in the picture but feels sturdy. I did not know which direction to install the battery cover, so I just picked one direction (chose arrow pointing towards driver side) and hoped for the best.

This clip has to be removed to allow the negative terminal to stretch a bit. It's easier to do with the battery removed.

Small correction, I unplugged the negative terminal line and unwound some loops it had, not on positive terminal line I mentioned earlier. The loops reduced the amount of length I had to pull it farther.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CRV EX
31 Posts
Depends a lot on where you live. Living in the northeast, my experience is that batteries usually lasted 4 years, maybe 5.
Moved to Florida and you're lucky to get 3 years out of battery. The hot weather is a death knell for car batteries.
The hot weather is a death knell for car batteries. Yup, especially in the desert SW!!

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,342 Posts
Actually, the arrow is intended to point away from the driver's side, as it is the indicator for battery terminal orientation. The battery terminals go in the box on the engine side, not the fender side. That's the arrow's purpose. All this is explained in my Gen 3 battery thread here: Gen 3 Group 24F Battery Upgrade + NOCO Genius 5. But, as long as it works, it doesn't really matter, especially considering that this is a "custom adaptation." Also, I hope everyone understands that after untangling the kinks in the negative battery cable, that "clip" must be bolted back down, as it is the negative battery ground to the frame.

I find it interesting that Honda makes such weird changes in these minute details between generations. Their decision-making process on things like this are perplexing, and their logic eludes me on much of it. But then, to me, the Honda Odyssey is not a van, it's a journey, in an unmapped ocean, with monsters and stuff. :oops: They are obviously in their own Element.

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the OEM battery die on my 2017 CRV at about 2-1/2 yrs which was fortunately still in warranty. The put in Honda's 100 (month guarantee) battery as the replacement. I would think this would give you and idea when to start looking for time to replace according to Honda.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts