Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I have '08 CRV EX-L and all the 3 ABS, VSA and VSA Activation Indicator lights come on and stay on. I am not sure if this is a coincidence but this happens after I brought my vehicle in for B1 service. I called back the Honda service and they told me that it is the issue with one of of the ABS sensors. I have a few questions below and I am hoping if someone can shed some lights on this
1) Could this happen as as direct result from B1 service? In other words, mechanic's screw-up during B1 service causes this.
2) Is it necessary and critical to have all 4 sensors replaced since the car is still under warranty ( 55k on odometer) since the Honda service advisor told me that they can only replace the one that fails.

Thank so much

·
Administrator
289 Posts
B1 service is something that your dealer came up with for a name, it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than your dealer.

What exactly was performed?

No reason to replace any sensor other than the broken one. If still under warranty then let them fix whatever it is, even if they broke it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
B1 service is something that your dealer came up with for a name, it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than your dealer.

What exactly was performed?

No reason to replace any sensor other than the broken one. If still under warranty then let them fix whatever it is, even if they broke it.
Actually it is explained on page 347 of the 2010 Owners Manual.

The Maintenance Minder Code B is:
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Inspect front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Inspect these items:
Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Suspension components
Driveshaft boots
Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA)
All fluid levels and condition of fluids
Exhaust system
Fuel lines and connections

And the sub-code 1 is:
Rotate tires

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually it is explained on page 347 of the 2010 Owners Manual.

The Maintenance Minder Code B is:
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Inspect front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Inspect these items:
Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Suspension components
Driveshaft boots
Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA)
All fluid levels and condition of fluids
Exhaust system
Fuel lines and connections

And the sub-code 1 is:
Rotate tires
Could it be reasonable to assume that this is caused as a result of B1 service because from what i gathered this issue very rarely occurs for the car that new?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Could it be reasonable to assume that this is caused as a result of B1 service because from what i gathered this issue very rarely occurs for the car that new?
It is possible the sensors were damaged during the brake inspection.
It also could be coincidental. Why worry about why it occured. Just bring it back it should be covered under warranty.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,526 Posts
It is possible the sensors were damaged during the brake inspection.
It also could be coincidental. Why worry about why it occured. Just bring it back it should be covered under warranty.
Also, the dealer's scan tool should pinpoint which sensor is setting the lights/code.

No need to replace all four as a set...

·
Registered
14 Posts
VSA, ABS, BRAKE and /!\ lights came on

The wife was driving our 2008 CR-V with 40k+ miles and all these lights came on and haven't gone off in 2 days. I dont notice any difference in the vehicles performance.
Any idea of what it could be or where to start checking?

Figures it would happen right before I need to go out of town.

:confused::mad:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any idea of ....... where to start checking?
Best place to start would be to find out what Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) are stored.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it showed 54-01
Failsafe relay Failure

and

32-01
Right front outlet solenoid valve failure

My Honda tech is gone to training this week and wont be back until Monday.
I just want to know if it is safe to drive in the meantime.

I need to go out of town about 4hrs each way. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just come across the same problem I have a 2009 LX. I just got it certified preowned last March so I've had it for just over 1 year.
Those lights and the flashing D light came on last July. I took it into my dealership here and they said it was a ground issue. They fixed the ground and probably reset it and everything was peachy.

Now here I am 8 months later and bingo christmas tree time on my dashboard. I took it in again thinking wtf is going on. The ground was fine but they called tech support to see what else could be the problem. Sure enough I was just informed the VSA/ABS Modulator needs replacing.

They could just reset it again and I could be fine for a few months but the ABS/VSA could just end up not working if the Modulator fails. Unfortunately the 3 year warrenty ended less than 1 month after I acquired the vehicle so this part is not covered.

My dealership asked me to contact Honda Customer Relations to see if they will assist with the part. Finger's crossed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with a 2008 LX. All (or almost all) the warning lights: flashing "D", VSA, ABS. Local shop diagnosed a faulty VSA module. $1600 for the part alone. The car had only about 45,000 kms when the problem occurred. Has anyone taken this up with Honda customer relations?

·
Registered
486 Posts
the dash will light up like a christmas tree if your battery is on its last leg I would start there before spending $1600 on something that a "local" shop says is damaged

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
the dash will light up like a christmas tree if your battery is on its last leg I would start there before spending $1600 on something that a "local" shop says is damaged
I 2nd that. If it's not that, I'm at a loss for words.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have '06 CRV SE with 360,000Km and all the 3 ABS, VSA and VSA Activation Indicator lights come on since I had the rear wheel bearings changed with Timkens....the tech said you can watch the left rear signal drop out around 40km an hour....changed the sensor cable....no change...now looking at replacing the bearings AGAIN with OEM NSK 44300 SAA 003...

Anybody had any problems with Timkens ordered from RockAuto????

Brian

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,526 Posts
Anybody had any problems with Timkens ordered from RockAuto????

Brian
The Honda ABS system "reads" the bearings directly, there is no serrated Tone Wheel as on some other cars. So proper orientation and installation is important.

Others have had techs damage the ABS sensors on removal (common in salty regions), plus inexperienced techs have installed the bearings backwards, or at an improper depth in the hub, resulting in intermittent readings as you are seeing.

The factory service manual is very explicit in the directions for wheel bearing installation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok...well it is going back in on Tuesday...guess I will mgive the mechanic a copy of my factory service manual...although he said befor he didn't need it as the info was available in their service packages...

Thanks...

·
Registered
644 Posts
guess I will give the mechanic a copy of my factory service manual...
Shape of things to come? Visualize this -- DIY enthusiasts armed with knowledge and "real time" peer support repair their own cars at the dealership, while the "Techs" play online video games on iPads supplied by the DIYer. We pay the "Tech" for the use of their facilities and equipment. I call it Tele-DIY. Can't wait.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Firstly if the ABS light comes on it only disables the ABS on the car, the brakes work as normal without the ABS
If the light is on it is a MOT failure - usually ABS light will be on as well as VGA
an OBD 2 scanner will detect the fault - usually a sensor on one of the wheels (not all scanners will turn ABS OR AIRBAG lights off)
If OBD scanner will not communicate with ABS Module the the chances are there is a fault in the module (normally the pressure switch)
Honda will want approx £1100 to repair - this is a basic plumbing job
Disconnect Battery
Unplug module electrics
remove brake pipes from pump / module body
cover brake pipe ends to stop any dirt getting in
Fit recon module (e bay from £35 up to about £250) Honda £850 - I do know of a repairer who guarentees work for 12 months cost £250
keep it clean before fitting
reconnect pipes, and electics and blled brakes (bleeding ABS module can be a bit of a nightmare)
reconnect battery and abs light will still be on
Drive car and light will go off if not clear with scanner
THIS IS A COMMON FAULT ALTHOUGH HONDA WILL NOT TELL YOU THIS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts