Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an ABS issue. I will be so grateful if somebody could shed some new light on this. Let me explain.

2 weeks ago I replaced the passenger rear wheel bearing because I thought it was the culprit of a howl. I had an automotive machine shop press in the bearing. The ABS light came on after reinstalling the hub, so I looked into the hub again and noticed the shop pressed the bearing in backwards. I bought a new bearing (yes, the ABS one) and they pressed that one in correctly - ABS light still on. I tok it to Honda so they could scan it and it flagged a passenger rear ABS sensor. I figured I just damaged the sensor when messing with it.

Anyway, I replaced the sensor from RockAutoParts.com and the ABS light is still on.

Interesting note: When the car has been parked, the ABS light only sometimes stays on until I get past ~18mph. If I stay under ~18mph the light stays off indefinitely, but I hit that magic speed and POW: ABS light. While braking (before the ABS light comes on) I get a clunk/chatter from the right rear (slow speeds).

HELP! I am going crazy with this car. I just replaced two wheel bearings, brakes, the differential, and the belt. I am moving into an apartment next week! I need to be done before I don't have a garage!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The only thing I can find is reference to not using OEM Honda part/bearing that has the sensor transmitter in the one side of the bearing seal. Perhaps the bearing you purchased fits, but does not have a transmitter built in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am thinking of just replacing the hub from Orielly's for $132.99 (Part # 930-462) on the passenger rear. I have a feeling that the bearing was screwed up when put in and I don't feel like having it occur again or going to a shop to have it pressed. The hub assemblie should have a bearing already in it correct? The coincidence of the bearing being put in and the ABS light on, even after a new sensor is just to coincidential. Also, since I "hear" ABS issues from the passenger rear as described in my previous post.

Somebody please let me know any thoughts/experience you may have on this.

(I have so many issues all at once it's crazy!)

EDIT: Just saw your post. I agree that it may be boiled down to the bearing. However, I did get the one that claimed to be ABS for the vehicle and it looked exactly the same as the one that came out. True about the OEM thing..I got it from Advance Auto. Part # 511029

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I called the technician that toubleshooted the ABS (they told me passenger rear sensor was bad) and he said to bring it back in and he would re run the diagnostic for free since I replaced what they recommended. I'll let you know....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well I called the technician that toubleshooted the ABS (they told me passenger rear sensor was bad) and he said to bring it back in and he would re run the diagnostic for free since I replaced what they recommended. I'll let you know....
Dang Dude, if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck!;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the tech said he checked over everything and all looked OK. The code is still saying passenger rear is not sending a signal though (new sensor). He suggested that maybe the bearing is either faulty or was messed up when being pressed in. I am going to put yet another bearing in that side, and let my new found "good shop" press it in. They know about encoder rings on bearings.

I just pulled the hub again tonight and noticed quite a bit of grease build up on the magnetic ring...like the guy that put it in may have put excess on it. That may have been the issue right there, but I am not putting it back on again..I'm just gonna put the other bearing (already bought) on. Orielly's said I could return the one I take out.

I will post results. Hopefully someone in the future learns from this thread when they search with a similar issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why can't this car leave me alone....

I bought a new bearing and had it pressed in. I brint the hub home, spin it in my hand, and it is noisy. Geesh. AGAIN!?

Went to Honda last night with the hub. They are putting a bearing in it. I'm sick of dealing with shops that either screw it up or bad parts from Orielly's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the Honda tech pressed in my bearing for $20. I installed it on the CR-V. ABS light is now off and CR-V is quiet!

Either I had a few bad bearings in a row or the independent shops kept screwing them up. Either way...this was WAY too much hassle for a wheel bearing job. At least I found a Honda tech who is really chill and will do stuff for me on the side like that if I ever need it again. I hope someone learns from this thread!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
So there was no problem with the ABS sensor from Rockauto? I need to replace a sensor & the thing is pricey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope. RockAuto sensor is fine. Exactly like the stock one. I paid 109 after shipping for the passenger rear.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
So the Honda tech pressed in my bearing for $20. I installed it on the CR-V. ABS light is now off and CR-V is quiet!

Either I had a few bad bearings in a row or the independent shops kept screwing them up. Either way...this was WAY too much hassle for a wheel bearing job. At least I found a Honda tech who is really chill and will do stuff for me on the side like that if I ever need it again. I hope someone learns from this thread!!!
It does appear that the bearing installation on the shaft was not performed properly by the independent shops, after all.
Happy to hear you finally got it solved.
Buffalo4
PS: I have seen some mechanics seat the bearing with a hammer. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts