Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2015 CRV and I'm trying to figure out the cost and effort needed to upgrade the head unit. Fair warning, I know literally nothing about cars. I just figured that because I'll be using the CRV for the next 3 years that I'd make it a better experience.

I stumbled across a Kenwood DMX905S and got curious. I started Googling and one thing led to another, and here I am! I read through the user prysma13's experience in this thread (I tried linking it but the spam filter will not let me submit the edit), and there are a lot of things I don't understand. I looked up all of the parts that he purchased, but can't figure out if I need them or not:

Antenna retention: Metra 40-HD11
What is this for?

Dash Kit: Scosche HA1714B Dash kit is fine.
I think I know what this is for.

I used an iDatalink Maestro RR and HO2 harness for the integration with the OEM system. It works great for all of the integrated stuff, keeps the clock and date updated in the i-Mid and allows for retention of both cameras (rear-view and lanewatch) with Kenwood/JVC receivers (Only rear-view camera and manually triggered Lane Watch with the Pioneer).
I don't completely understand the purpose of these things. Is it just for ease of wiring? I Googled the iDatalink Maestro RR and HO2 harness. Will I have any problems with the rear-view camera or automatic lane watch with a Kenwood unit?

USB retention cables were PAC Audio USB-TY1 (Thanks Phanoko)
This cable works great on the gray cable, but you need to trim a small piece off the green cable to make it work. As far as I can tell, the green cable is the one that will support Apple Car Play/Android Auto on both the Pioneer and Kenwood head units.
Is this cable used to retain the USB function inside the center console? I don't have any other USB ports.

HDMI retention - I used the Axxess AX-HON-HD1 (Again thanks to Phanoko)
Retention worked perfectly on the Pioneer, but no HDMI on the Kenwood, so I sent it back.
Does this mean I won't be able to retain HDMI function with a Kenwood receiver? Is there a known alternative/workaround?

Lastly the OEM GPS plug is a direct fit for the Kenwood receiver which allowed me to keep the OEM antenna. With the Pioneer, you can use an adapter and keep the OEM antenna but the adapter is a bit pricey. I hear you can get it from this website (discountcarstereo.com/gt5-avic.f.html), but I have no experience with this.
Would my car have an OEM GPS plug if it doesn't have a built-in GPS? My car has a touch screen but only has the most basic functions.

I appreciate all of the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
/threads/2015-crv-head-unit-replacement-experience.195955/

Here's the link to prymas13's experience and where I found all of the part information!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
You can learn a lot and get assistance from Crutchfield, including answers to your questions. You don't have to buy from them, but they do offer a pretty comprehensive service. Give their website a look.

Reactions: phoe
1 - 3 of 3 Posts