Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I’m new here and in a desperate spot. I have an issue(s) where the climate control motor is not blowing at full strength anymore (it will intermittently give the hurricane force circulation we all know and love) and the a/c system will not shut off no matter what the setting o the dash. Don’t know if these are related or not. Does anyone know if this is a firmware problem vs a component problem? If so where to begin? I have the abilities to fix anything mechanical, including soldering of electrical components, but before I go tearing my wife’s car up I’d like to confirm that if is not a software issue.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The two issues might be connected but first I would look at the compressor relay. They have been known for the contacts sticking closed keeping clutch energized. As for the blower, If the blower speeds are changing but the air flow is weak, it could be as simple as a very dirty filter. If the speeds are not changing than it could be the power module that controls the motor speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I’ll check that relay out. The cabin air filter was the first thing I checked. Unfortunately replacing it didn’t seem to help. I am embarrassingly not up to speed on terminology, so to eliminate any semantic error, could you specify what and where said power module is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2010. Can’t remember the trim level. It’s the middle one. Wheels, sunroof, 6-disc changer. No fog lights, nav, or any of the fancy stuff. 2wd.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
First, if you step thru the different fan speeds do you hear the fan change speeds. Next if the fan changes speeds, pull the filter out completely to see if you get a large increase in air flow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the fan still does vary in speed and flow rate with the control knob. What I found interesting is that with, or without the filter in the cradle, there is a significantly higher air flow when the air filter cradle is removed. When I first tried this, I removed the filter and cradle and noticed the increase in airflow and thought that I had just bought a replacement air filter that was too restrictive. For the sake of process of elimination I removed the filter and replaced the cradle to seal off the gap and the air flow was again reduced. I have also already checked the airways leading up to the filter for blockages but there are none to be found.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Does the airflow change when on Inside Air vs Outside Air?
Something is restricting the incoming air to the filter, as you cleverly found out. Good job troubleshooting, so far.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strangely no. I had expected that it would, but no dice. Thanks for the props too (seriously). I’m an engineering student and it’s good to know that it might be starting to pay off.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
It may help being an engineering student because you may have access to a DVM and clamp on DC digital ammeter. These will be very useful to check the fan motor and power transistor module. Typical problems with the fan motor are bearings and brushes. Bearings are easy, the fan cage should turn freely and noise free. Brush problems show up due to poor electrical contact with the commutator and symptoms might be the motor just doesn't turn or low speed under load. If you can check the voltage across the motor leads at full speed you should see 12+ volts and the motor current should be approximately 15 amps.
Here's a youtube vid for troublshooting the power transistor and fan motor. It for an Accord but the CRV is the same.

While getting to the power transistor module is easy in the Accord, the CRV is harder.
Here's a vid for removing the power transistor module. Note they call it a resistor but it's a transistor. It was a resistor network in olden days.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I highly recommend you get yourself a factory service manual. I got mine off eBay on a CD in pdf form for about $45. Your HVAC control panel has a built-in diagnostic function, which may lend clues to what is going on there, but you'll need that manual to run it. The manual has extensive troubleshooting for all systems on the car. Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-Honda-CR-V-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-CD/141644642117?hash=item20faadb745:g:7~gAAOSwDuJWwdJZ

The manual is over 3,200 pages. Mine has easily paid for itself and then some. The HVAC system is covered in Section 21 and is 145 pages long. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that link too. I had one of those manuals for a Prelude I owned and it was amazing. Had I realized I could come by them so inexpensively I’d have bought one already. I was anticipating the 2nd mortgage they have historically been.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I can relate! The paper set I got for my F250 was over $160 plus shipping. Used. Very used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts