Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You’re good. Occam’s razor and all. Needless to say, I know with certainty that’s not the issue.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I did a check on eBay, and there are several Electrical Troubleshooting manuals for 2010 CR-Vs listed.

Cheapest price is US $35 with free shipping. Item: 153615305956

Description from helminc.com:

2010-2011 CR-V Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (KA)
Written by Honda, this book has the most in-depth wiring diagrams available. Information on how to troubleshoot electrical problems, this manual includes circuit schematics, power distribution schematics, ground distribution schematics and component locations to accurately repair electrical problems. ETMS are model and model year specific, and their schematics are far more detailed than the wiring diagrams in the Service Manual. For best repair results, use this manual in conjunction with the Service Manual.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,127 Posts
Yup, but he can get the whole manual for a similar price, and not all that troubleshooting is in that section anyway. HVAC has it's own section.

Yes, Gremlins on the Wing is not the same thing as Pigs on the Wing. At all. :giggle: "Ah, charade you are"

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,127 Posts
Gotcha! Didn't see that before. Never mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If anyone was sitting around with baited breath waiting on how the saga of the never ending ac turned out, I think I’m nearing the end. After a ridiculous amount of home-brewed trouble shooting, I took it to the dealer so they could put it on their machines and run a diagnosis. Here’s what they said:
-Definitely the control module
-Blower motor & transistor should be replaced
-Might be the ECM
Of course, if they had listened to me they would have nixed the control unit suggestion since all the symptoms happen without a control unit even installed. Bought one w/ a 30 day return just to verify and lo and behold, it didn’t fix the prob. Also got me one of them fancy E-lec-tronical shop manuals you guys have been suggesting and the more I look at it the more I’m convinced it’s the ECM. Got one headed my way from the eBay, and will take it to the dealer to reflash it to the VIN so I can drive it. Half way suspicious this might resolve the wonky blower issue too, but not gonna place any bets just yet.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,127 Posts
Bizarre! Well, keep us posted on how this goes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Solved: Apparently, there is a ground distribution module, or some kind of setup that’s more elaborate than just a wire, on the AC clutch that went bad. Had it replaced and all problems are now gone.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Solved: Apparently, there is a ground distribution module, or some kind of setup that’s more elaborate than just a wire, on the AC clutch that went bad. Had it replaced and all problems are now gone.
Where is that 'ground distribution module' located? Did you buy one and install it or was it diagnosed and installed by a shop? Was it an AC shop or?

Thanks, for replying with the fix, but I have no idea what it actually was.
Did you ever get that ECM and have it programmed and installed and then return it or?

Thanks,
Bufaflo4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had the local dealer perform the diagnosis and repair. By this point I was so tired of futzing with it I didn’t really care too much about gathering data for archival purposes. I just wanted the dang thing fixed.
The part number for what was replaced is here if that helps:
1 38908-RWC-A02 91720 PROTR SET, THERMAL
And it’s malfunction seems to have blown “Fuse A” (80A/50A).
The ECM was a stupid story: bought a used one off eBay and found a video for a DIY identity chip swap so you don’t have to have it reprogrammed. Despite my extensive experience with soldering from a place I worked at years ago on PCB and surface mount, it didn’t work out as planned. Needless to say I bought a second ecm off eBay slapped it in and had it towed to the dealer to be reprogrammed etc. They say the ECM swap fixed the blower, but that problem was intermittent and very well could have been related to the faulty ground as well.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Wow, thanks a lot. It appears to be a high temp limit switch on the compressor.
Didn't know they had such an animal.
Thanks again and I'm sure you now enjoy the cool air again. :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, actually I’m enjoying the ability to turn the AC off instead of having the compressor run 100% of the time regardless of the HVAC setting. But yes, happy all is in working order now.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts