Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 CRV - AC compressor will not engage once car is hot... I have checked the thermal circuit and it is closed, all relays have been replaced, high press sensor has been replaced??? Once car cools down AC will work for about 30 minutes.. All cooling fans are working as well..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch will not engage once it has run for 30 minutes. Only on a cold start will clutch engage. Pressures are perfect. I hate to say this because I can’t fix it, but the Refrigeration side I know been in HVAC for 30 years. Cars have always been a pain in the rear for me though. Lol

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The clutch will not engage once it has run for 30 minutes. Only on a cold start will clutch engage. Pressures are perfect. I hate to say this because I can’t fix it, but the Refrigeration side I know been in HVAC for 30 years. Cars have always been a pain in the rear for me though. Lol
Same principle. Is the clutch no longer being energized after 30 min? You loose power to the clutch?
Compressor on a car same thing as HVAC only mechanically turned via an electro magnetic clutch instead of electric motor. Safety mechanisms can drop power to the magnetic clutch just like dropping power to the HVAC compressor.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Change the run cap! Sorry, just kidding. Well, we know the system is fully charged and not leaking, the clutch works, the system cools. So something must be tripping it. Is the condenser clean and free of any blocking debris? Are both radiator fans operational at both low and high speeds? The engine does not overheat, right? It could be the clutch coil is shot and drawing excess power, so test that. While you're at it, check the harness connector to make sure it is good. If the clutch coil is losing power intermittently and no fuses are blowing, there could be a loose pin or connection in that harness wiring somewhere. Then, if the pressure relief valve is not tripping and releasing gas (which can be caused by a malfunctioning clutch), check the main pressure sensor.

I highly recommend you get yourself a Honda Factory Service Manual. I have it, and it has easily paid for itself and then some. It's over 3,200 pages and has extensive troubleshooting and test procedures for all systems, including this one. I got mine off eBay, on disc, here:

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Honda CR-V Shop Service Repair Manual CD | eBay

This one, from this same guy. Excellent deal, worth every penny! It even went down by three bucks!

Be sure and keep us up to speed on how this is going.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV 2.2 I-ctdi EX AWD
40 Posts
I had the same problem on a Volvo XC90, I don't know if it will work for the CR-V but Google Volvo AC clutch shim, took about 10 mins and worked perfectly ever since

1 - 8 of 8 Posts