Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is a true CRV believer and because I also like them she/we have had four of them. On three of them I have had problems with the AC compressor and on two different CRV II, I simply changed the compressor and problem solved. However on the 07 III generation 2,0 petrol I have had serious problems with my air conditioning for a long time and after I gave up and drove the car to a honda garage it is still not fixed. After several hours and $ and what they refer to as "diagnosis and searching" we are still at square one and the problem is still that the clutch will not impact and Honda suspects that there is a break somewhere on the wire between the rele (fuse in the fusebox under the hood) and the compressor. I dont believe in this because the fans wont start when you turn on AC either.

What is done:

I first changed the whole compressor with a new (used) compressor. This was a gamble because the mileage on the "new" was 140k km and mine was only 110k km. Maybe because of this the "new" would not work so I ran off to Honda to by the clutch and the magnet (together nearly $1100 - ...sigh) and mounted these on my original compressor. At this point I could see both the fans turn on when I turned on AC. I chimsed the clutch with the correct space to the magnet (should be from 0,35-0,65 mm) and before I mounted the compressor on its right position I tried to see if the clutch impacted by using the electrical contact and adding grounding with a start cable (meaning the compressor was not in place, but on top of the motor in a place where the cable was long enough). Then it worked and I could see that the clutch impacted when my kid sat in the car and pressed the AC button.

So far so good and I mounted the compressor back into position. Now it wont work and the fans dont start either. Why?

What have I done:

Checked the distance from the clutch to the magnet (again) - should be okay with around 0,5 mm.
Checked the fuses 6, 7, 9, 15 and 20 under the hood and 36 inside - everything is fine.
Checked the power into the rele and the fuse box under the hood -OK
Checked power on the compressor - not OK, but since the fans wont start anymore I feel that the problem not is a break in the cable from the rele to the compressor and furthermore - this is not likely to happen either (at least it is very rare that I have experienced a break in a cable)

Is it something that could have went wrong when I tested the compressor outside its original position?
Why wont the fans start when I start AC?
According to Honda the fans should start even though I had a broken cable between the fuse box and the compressor and on behalf of that they did admit that it most likely was something else wrong than a broken cable...
Is it more reles/fuses that should be checked?
Is it a problem that I have no gas in the system? (I have removed both the radiators to do the repair but I have of course put them back on and both the fans work when the motor is heated up)

I will be deeply thankful for every answer or input!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I doubt it is a wire broken too, but it could be a connector. (very hard to diagnose) Make sure that you have all of the air out of the cooling system. Otherwise I don't know what to say but will search around. Checking for gas is simple, just depress one of the schrader valves.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you have a electric meter just check for voltage at each connection and also check continuity. You will pinpoint the problem quickly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Was the AC coolant replaced? If not, when you instal the compressor and try to start it (using the vehicles wiring) the coolant sensor(s) will not complete the circuit to the clutch coil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for your interest Fixer!

No the entire AC system has been empty since I first took off the original compressor, and I guess it is filled with air.

I know that some garages take off the compressor with the radiators in place but I prefer to take off both the radiators (both the AC radiator and the engine radiator) because of the narrow space down there.

Does it mean that the problem may dissappear if I refill the system with gas or do you think something inside the compressor may be broken?

Thanks again for your answers!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Should work just fine once the system is charged. Be careful not to overcharge if you only have a low side gauge hooked up. Could be one of those things for an ac shop if you are not familiar with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really look forward to try. I am unable to get to DIY R134 so I will drive it to an AC shop.

I didnt think of an empty system as an option because I am pretty sure the fans were still working last time I emptied the system for gas - but I may be wrong. Is it really a sensor inside the compressor that also have impact on the fans?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There are 2-3 sensors built right on most compressors, sometimes on the back opposite the clutch end. A sensor can interrupt power to the compressor, and when the compressor shuts down the fans shut down (as normal).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts