Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an 02 Crv and the compressor has begun making a clunking sound when the ac is on. I want to replace it myself before it gernades the entire system. I’ve seen videos of guys taking the whole front of the car off to gain access. And others drop the subframe to get at it from below. Just wondering if another DIYer had done this and know the best way to tackle it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
im in the process of replacing the ac compressor in my 2nd gen crv. im not too sure about dropping the sub frame but pulling the radiator seems reasonable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jj808 thanks for those links, it's an interesting read. Looks like he pulled the entire front of the car off including the front bumper! He posts part of the Honda Service manual procedure, but it doesn't look like the entire procedure. Wow what a PIA! I'm really hoping for a short cut approach coming up from the bottom. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
jj808 thanks for those links, it's an interesting read. Looks like he pulled the entire front of the car off including the front bumper! He posts part of the Honda Service manual procedure, but it doesn't look like the entire procedure. Wow what a PIA! I'm really hoping for a short cut approach coming up from the bottom. Thanks
yeah it really does look like a pain. at least it's mostly plastic clips. im probably changing the condenser too so im gonna have to take off some of the front. I think removing the radiator is a bit over kill for me. overall beats paying $500 in labor. Ive seen videos about dropping the subframe and removing the engine mount bolt. if u are savvy im sure its worth a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve got an 02 Crv and the compressor has begun making a clunking sound when the ac is on. I want to replace it myself before it gernades the entire system. I’ve seen videos of guys taking the whole front of the car off to gain access. And others drop the subframe to get at it from below. Just wondering if another DIYer had done this and know the best way to tackle it?
No need to take off everything on the front, just take off AC condensor, radiator with fans. Then take off engine cover under the car. If you take off those its more than enough to take the compressor out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't do it again have somebody replace the whole thing most shops will recommend just having the lines cleaned and replacing the compressor orifice tube in dryer I got a quote for around $600 and 4 hours of labor seems like a good deal seeing as the car could go over 400,000 miles or more depending on where you live I guess I'm close to Chicago most of these die out or need major repair around 300,000 but arsene putting around most people don't want to put money into it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts