Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the recent Arctic blast (Midwest US) I had an unusual failure in my ACC system. I have the 2018 CRV-EX with 15K, While driving in blowing sleet/snow/ice the dash warning lit saying the collision mitgation and other systems were inactivated due to blocked radar. I knew that was caused by build up on front grill with snow/ice, so when I stopped I cleaned the radar flat under the H, the H, grill, lights, bumper and full windshield. However the "radar blocked" warning would not clear. Next night when roads were clear and dry but temperatures were 18 F (CRV clear of snow and ice) I set the LK and ACC which verified on the dash. However as I approached a slower moving truck the ACC would not slow the CRV and I needed to hard brake before hitting the back of the truck. Should I be concerned about the sensors/radar and nanny systems? Has anyone experienced cold weather malfunction in the systems not associated with physically blocked sensors? (The road surface and edge lines/lanes were clearly visible even with fog lights on.)

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
You want honda sensing to NOT WORK in bad conditions. Its when you are supposed to be more attent not less.
Some will disagree but it also states this in the manual

also make sure you have acc cruise on and no just basic conventional cruise. You toggle them by holding down the button.

when the radar is obsteucted by snow it will reset when clear or restart.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
It says right in the owners manual that some HondaSensing systems will error out and disable during very wet or snowy weather. And of course you the driver need to know when this happens, so you are given warning alerts.

Reason: ice and snow can build up on the front of the vehicle which will impair the radar sensor, and snow, rain, ice can impair the camera located in your windshield next to your mirror.

Trust me, you do not want systems with impaired sensors due to weather making any driving decisions on your behalf. I personally would not trust any sensing and action safety systems in bad weather... regardless of the vehicle make and model. This is one of the things that will really hold back the proliferation of true autonomous driving systems, because the technology simply is not there yet.... not even on Teslas (no matter what Musk claims).

As long as the system works properly once the weather induced obstructions to camera and radar clear and there is no lingering ice, dirt, etc .... you should be fine. If you find the system has not returned to working condition in clear weather and no remaining obstructions.. then you need to consult with your dealer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would agree with you that ACC and cruise control should NOT be used during rain,, snow, ice, high wind or obstructed traffic. Although, we in the North do not consider cold temperatures to be "bad weather" rather normal here. Also you can switch from ACC to cruise by holding the cruise button to toggle and it will verify on the dash that ACC is not active. I was using ACC, traffic was light, no wet or icy pavement, no wind. Both LK and ACC indicate when they switch off due to road sensor issues. I had no indication other than the vehicle failed to slow to match the truck speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts