Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread I read last week where folks were talking about the RAV4 and how the AWD was faster 0-60 then the FWD. Was about 1 sec difference. Mind you not exactly a scientific approach just regular owners testing.

Never saw this mentioned/tested on the usual online publications/review sites.

Anyone tested 2017 CRV FWD vs AWD in terms of acceleration?

Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The FWD may actually be a little quicker because it weighs less, but if traction is a factor the AWD might be faster due to less wheel spin.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Honda does not have real-time all wheel drive, 99.9% of time it uses FWD.
Actually, the 1st and 2nd gen Vs had a sticker on the rear glass that said Real Time AWD. I don't know if this gen is different but, regardless, I think the CR-V and Rav 4 have the same setup for switching to AWD. However, you are correct in that majority of time it is in FWD. I wish it had a light that let you know when it switches.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Actually, the 1st and 2nd gen Vs had a sticker on the rear glass that said Real Time AWD. I don't know if this gen is different but, regardless, I think the CR-V and Rav 4 have the same setup for switching to AWD. However, you are correct in that majority of time it is in FWD. I wish it had a light that let you know when it switches.
You sort of have that, there is a pictographs of the AWD running on the the driver info if you scroll through the menu.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes, the instrument panel can show when the rear wheels are being powered and it's much more than 0.1% of the time for the average driver.

I would guess tire wear should be slightly more even on the AWD too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes I'm with az_crv... If the CRV is FWD 99% of the time why does the dash torque distribution indicator almost ALWAYS show equallysplit between the 4 wheels. I think 99% FWD is INCORRECT. I'm guessing the torque distribution monitor isn't there showing this incorrectly just to amuse us.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes I'm with az_crv... If the CRV is FWD 99% of the time why does the dash torque distribution indicator almost ALWAYS show equallysplit between the 4 wheels. I think 99% FWD is INCORRECT. I'm guessing the torque distribution monitor isn't there showing this incorrectly just to amuse us.....
because the ones that think its 99% FWD, dont have AWD on their vehicles. just a guesstimate. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
The FWD may actually be a little quicker because it weighs less, but if traction is a factor the AWD might be faster due to less wheel spin.
Based on the Canadian website, the AWD adds 55kg and it is more parts that the engine has to spin. With ~190hp, and unless you're in snow, I'm not sure wheel spin is a huge issue. 2WD is gonna be faster.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
The newer 'pro-active' Vs (I think 2016+) always engage the rear wheels momentarily to assist off-the-line traction. Older RT4WD models (totally passive) didn't offer that benefit. (Our '06 spins it's front tires for a second before the AWD cuts in)

So, it comes down to weight of the AWD system and traction, doesn't it? I don't know how you could get a meaningful comparison unless you could test an AWD CR-V with and without the center driveshaft!

Any volunteers? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
You sort of have that, there is a pictographs of the AWD running on the the driver info if you scroll through the menu.
I also noticed that the driver info always shows all four wheels getting torque any time I am applying the accelerator. I was under the impression that once at "cruising" speed, it would switch over to FWD only but if I believe that icon, it never does.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There was a thread I read last week where folks were talking about the RAV4 and how the AWD was faster 0-60 then the FWD. Was about 1 sec difference. Mind you not exactly a scientific approach just regular owners testing.

Never saw this mentioned/tested on the usual online publications/review sites.

Anyone tested 2017 CRV FWD vs AWD in terms of acceleration?

Thanks.
bs.. a 1 second diff to 60 is HUGE. Id say the awd and fwd CRV would be very close. There is not a traction issues on a launch needing awd to stop wheelspin

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
All I have to say is that wheel-spin control during a full-throttle launch from a stop on dry pavement isn't exactly a major problem for how most CR-V's are usually driven.

I always find it hilarious how much space car magazines dedicate to rating ordinary family cars like they are a Porsche on a track. Besides 0-60 times, we get complaints that when you drive it like a maniac, the traction control kicks in, sage comments about exactly how it reacts when corners are taken entirely too quickly, letting readers know that when you stomp on the brakes over and over, sometimes they get too hot, etc.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,598 Posts
All I have to say is that wheel-spin control during a full-throttle launch from a stop on dry pavement isn't exactly a major problem for how most CR-V's are usually driven.
Well, I frequent one intersection where a traffic light requires the car to stop on a hill. In order to turn left you need to beat the oncoming traffic if you are first in line. :p OR, wait until DOOMSDAY to get across...:eek:

That's where the newer electronic engagement would come in handy on the '06, especially in the rain.:eek:

If it's raining, you close your eyes...(This is during rush hour of course!!!)

Point is, "YMMV". It depends on your circumstances.

I find it interesting that the activity of the 4WD system can be viewed from the info screen. :cool:<THUMBS UP>

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
668 Posts
AWD should be faster than FWD on initial acceleration if the car is engaged on AWD when your first push the throttle at 0. This is the case with the RAV4.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts