Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a youtube review of the 17 Feb w/ the 1.5 turbo and the reviewer was critical of the sluggish acceleration from zero. The reviewer said it took one car length before the engine woke up. Amy owners notice this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes, there is a little lag from a standing start, but once moving the flat torque curve from the turbo makes up for it.... Not bad considering CVT and turbo. I wasn't looking for a drag racer anyways.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Yes, you won't get a surge of acceleration until you hit 2k or so. All turbocharged cars will behave like this. But since it's a family car, not a sports car, this really isn't much of an issue. Don't bury the gas pedal off every light and you won't even notice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
In my younger days I may have tried torque braking on my launch to get into boost earlier, but now I am in a different stage in life.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I'm not typically a lead foot but do a lot of rush hour driving and need to punch it at times to negotiate traffic (i.e. On left or right hand turns). Will definitely test this out during my test drive. Glad to hear it's more of a common issue than a CRV one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I remember reading the turbo in the '17 stays in max range from 2k through 5k which is earlier than most and a wider rpm range also.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
In my younger days I may have tried torque braking on my launch to get into boost earlier, but now I am in a different stage in life.

LOL ^^^

Yes turbocharged engines can be slow off the line (even in the SECOND it takes for the turbine wheel to spool up, your life could flash before your eyes on a crowded freeway). But once they get 'on boost', the acceleration is quicker than in a non-turbocharged car.

Manufacturers on more expensive makes sometimes use sequential turbo (one for low speeds, one for high speeds), or both a supercharger AND a turbocharger!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It's important to note that while it takes a little bit to get decent torque out of a turbocharged engine caught flat-footed, once that torque is there, it's THERE. With an NA engine, you'll get a hair more power off the line, but to get peak torque out of it, you'll need to have it spool to near-redline.

Most people prefer the low-down torque of a turbo to having to have the engine roaring to get torque out of it. It's quieter, for starters.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It is why I like the 2017 CRV, it's peppy enough I can keep up with traffic. then the surprise is the mpg while doing so. It is much nicer then 2011 EX. The leather seat is a treat, so far, looking into summer to see how hot they get. I really enjoy the seat moving to my perfect position without me doing any micro-adjustment. of course driving with hands at 10 & 2 are my old school way of vehicle control. hahaha, it still works plus if I get lax the dash lights up a message about holding steering wheel. gives me a chuckle.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes, you won't get a surge of acceleration until you hit 2k or so. All turbocharged cars will behave like this. But since it's a family car, not a sports car, this really isn't much of an issue. Don't bury the gas pedal off every light and you won't even notice.
Well, I drove my parents' CR-V L-EX for the first time today and certainly noticed it. It wasn't accelerating from a full stop that was so much the issue as accelerating to sufficient speed on on-ramps. It managed but a little more up-front surge would have been appreciated. I'm not sure how confident I would be with short on-ramps. Admittedly this is an extreme example but the 110 freeway in LA have on-ramps that require you to go from a full stop to freeway speeds in 10-20 yards. I don't think the CR-V could accelerate on its own to match the traffic - you will have to rely on oncoming drivers to make room for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I drove my parents' CR-V L-EX for the first time today and certainly noticed it. It wasn't accelerating from a full stop that was so much the issue as accelerating to sufficient speed on on-ramps. It managed but a little more up-front surge would have been appreciated. I'm not sure how confident I would be with short on-ramps. Admittedly this is an extreme example but the 110 freeway in LA have on-ramps that require you to go from a full stop to freeway speeds in 10-20 yards. I don't think the CR-V could accelerate on its own to match the traffic - you will have to rely on oncoming drivers to make room for you.
The CR-V will; do 0-60 in about 7.6 seconds, quicker than the average compact SUV. Why would this be a problem on entrance ramps?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can anyone compare it to a RAV4 Hybrid? I rented one this week, and its acceleration was abysmal. My '07 CR-V is much better. Also wondering how the 1.5T compares to the 2.4NA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
I loved my last hybrid so I eagerly test drove a RAV4 hybrid. I too found the acceleration unacceptable. I then read about the CR-V and test drove and found it much better and bought it the same day.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have no trouble getting my CR-V off the line. The mindset and approach is different than with a regular auto or an MT obviously. At the end of the day, it is not the car, it is the driver.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Always shift our CRV into "S" mode for engine braking into a stop AND also launching from a standing stop and also merging onto highways... in my view, big difference

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
If you truly must attain freeway speeds in 3-5 car lengths, not even a Ferrari can pull that off. As tcad mentioned, it'll reach speed in 7.6, which would have been considered muscle-car acceleration not terribly long ago. If you think that is marginally hazardous, how are the driver of even slower cars (like say the hundreds of thousands of owners of the naturally aspirated Gen4) even alive?

When merging on a highway from a stop, a broad torque band (which a small turbo supplies) is way more useful than whatever it's doing for the first second or so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts