Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2018 CR-V EXL wouldn't crank after sitting for 10 min with the switch on accessory mode. She was listening to the radio, but there were probably other things on also. I called the dealer and was told that the batteries in these cars would drain after 5 to 10 min on accessory mode.
The car is 2 years old and has 21000 miles. I just wondered if this is considered normal.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,273 Posts
Battery, swap it out and you be good, My phone can last about 4 hours listening to music.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,303 Posts
The speakers in your phone don't require as much power as a modern auto sound system! :sneaky:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The speakers in your phone don't require as much power as a modern auto sound system! :sneaky:
My question is;
Is it normal for the battery to discharge enough that the car won't crank after 10 minutes with the ignition in the accessory mode and radio turned on? The air/blower was turned off. The dealer service person says that the battery will be dead after 5 to 10 minutes in the accessory mode. Is comparing a lithium-ion battery to a car battery(lead-acid?) actually a legitimate comparison since they're so different?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,232 Posts
Normal? depends ...

There are a WHOLE LOT of discussions here about CR-V batteries, especially the GEN 5 CR-Vs.

It seems that the consensus is that the current original batteries will last about 3 years...IF they have been used normally. During COVID many folks are not driving enough to fully charge the batteries, which in turn is bad for the battery life. Have you checked that water levels in the cells?

Do a search here and read some of the battery threads.

I would guess that your battery is about to fail

Reactions: Retired Boomer

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,111 Posts
My question is;
Is it normal for the battery to discharge enough that the car won't crank after 10 minutes with the ignition in the accessory mode and radio turned on? The air/blower was turned off. The dealer service person says that the battery will be dead after 5 to 10 minutes in the accessory mode. Is comparing a lithium-ion battery to a car battery(lead-acid?) actually a legitimate comparison since they're so different?
No, lithium batteries and lead acid are apples and oranges. You didn't mention how old your battery was. You can reduce the battery load when parked by first shutting off the car...set the parking brake and then turning on accessory mode. This prevents the exterior parking lights and daytime running lights from coming on and adding to the drain on the battery. Also the blower should be shut off. You wouldn't think it drains the battery much but depending on the setting it will draw 15 or more amps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That may be the case. I know that there are more systems pulling from the battery on cars now, but I can remember when a battery had a pro-rated guarantee up to 84 months.3 years is about that max life on one now.

·
The Enforcer
3,620 Posts
My wife's 2018 CR-V EXL wouldn't crank after sitting for 10 min with the switch on accessory mode. She was listening to the radio, but there were probably other things on also. I called the dealer and was told that the batteries in these cars would drain after 5 to 10 min on accessory mode.
The car is 2 years old and has 21000 miles. I just wondered if this is considered normal.
Even if this was a 2020, if a person sat there long enough with electrical power being used without the engine running, you could end up with a dead battery.

Lesson - dont use the radio etc when the engine is off.

Reactions: HondaVet7

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
Battery if you chose to sit, runoff full accessory, or just acc, then it's best to have some type of Backup today.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,614 Posts
My question is;
IF... IF your battery is in new condition, and fully charged... accessory mode will take more like 45-60 minutes to deplete the battery to where you cannot start the vehicle.

Thing is.... your battery is not new, probably had a low charge on the battery, might even have low levels of electrolyte due to slow evaporation of water, and hence is prone to quick depletion from accessory mode (which does draw amps of power as it powers up almost everything in the vehicle.. a highly electronic vehicle).

I would bet money that if you had performed a battery load test on your battery BEFORE putting the vehicle in accessory mode... it would have read about 12.1vdc... in other words.. about 10-20% state of charge. By the way.. at low charge states like this.. the plates in the battery degrade at a much faster rate, through chemical sulfation.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,232 Posts
IF... IF your battery is in new condition, and fully charged... accessory mode will take more like 45-60 minutes to deplete the battery to where you cannot start the vehicle.

Thing is.... your battery is not new, probably had a low charge on the battery, might even have low levels of electrolyte due to slow evaporation of water, and hence is prone to quick depletion from accessory mode (which does draw amps of power as it powers up almost everything in the vehicle.. a highly electronic vehicle).

I would bet money that if you had performed a battery load test on your battery BEFORE putting the vehicle in accessory mode... it would have read about 21.1vdc... in other words.. about 10-20% state of charge. By the way.. at low charge states like this.. the plates in the battery degrade at a much faster rate, through chemical sulfation.
And what should a good, fully charged battery read? vdc Some may not be familiar with the terminology.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,614 Posts
And what should a good, fully charged battery read? vdc Some may not be familiar with the terminology.
There is not an absolute standard in the industry (because voltage vs charge state is a bit fluid in starter batteries due the way they age out) ... but the generally accepted measure for 100% charge is 12.7 vdc

My battery tester actually will not show 100% measured charge until 12.75 vdc.

There are many charts on the internet. This is the one I personally use:

Please note that at any charge state below 95% some sulfation begins on the plates of the battery, which over time will kill the battery prematurely. But the actual amount of sulfation is very small at that charge state. I generally do not worry about it until charge state is below 80% as that is when battery degradation sets in. And sulfation accelerates rapidly on a battery with a charge level below 50%. Then again, I do monthly maintenance checks on my battery, keep it well charged via a smart charger, and insure that the electrolyte levels are properly maintained.

·
Registered
17 Cr-V LX
191 Posts

I would bet money that if you had performed a battery load test on your battery BEFORE putting the vehicle in accessory mode... it would have read about 21.1vdc... in other words.. about 10-20% state of charge. By the way.. at low charge states like this.. the plates in the battery degrade at a much faster rate, through chemical sulfation.
Needs a slight edit on the VDC part! (y)

·
The Enforcer
3,620 Posts
I wish that there's an indicator of how much voltage the battery has on the dashboard :-(
Cheap volt-meter device would do the trick.

And/or only use the radio when the engine is operating so as not to deplete the battery.

Reactions: fishycomics

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
thanks for reminding me my solar panel bat sucks it depletes in a foul day like that 4AH X the hours used 4 of a 210AH bat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2014 with same problem since new, I fixed with adding a 24F high end batt and using a odessy van v6 batt tray, fixed it. The oem batt is way too small, for all the electronics on a CRV now. 24F batt barely fits, but does. The first 24F I installed lasted 5 yrs, replaced last yr again with another gold series 24F.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check the battery to see if the cold cranking amps are 410 amps. If it is and if you replace it get one that has 500 CCA. I heard that solves many of Honda's battery problems. OE batteries don't usually have a long life going for them and you could of just gotten a defective one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts