Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether there is a way to still have power to the power windows and accessories after turning off the ignition in a 2018 with Smart Entry? My previous 2014 CR-V and my current 2016 Ram both have power for about 30 seconds after turning the ignition off unless you open a door. This gives you time to crack the windows for ventilation, close the windows or sunroof if you forgot it and so on.

I know these things can be done before turning the engine off or pressing the button again to turn on accessory mode, but it was really handy.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Does anyone know whether there is a way to still have power to the power windows and accessories after turning off the ignition in a 2018 with Smart Entry? My previous 2014 CR-V and my current 2016 Ram both have power for about 30 seconds after turning the ignition off unless you open a door. This gives you time to crack the windows for ventilation, close the windows or sunroof if you forgot it and so on.

I know these things can be done before turning the engine off or pressing the button again to turn on accessory mode, but it was really handy.
From pages 134 and 167 of Owner's Manual, the power windows and moonroof can be operated for up to 10 minutes after you turn the ignition off. Opening either front door cancels this function.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For me, it's usually wanting to keep the radio on when I turn off the engine. With this car, you have to turn everything off, then turn the accessory power back on. First world problem, to be sure, but still a frequent annoyance. If I switch the engine off when not in park, the engine shuts off but then everything goes dead when I shift into park afterwards. Some had written in other threads that they got the power to stay on this way, but it doesn't work on my 2018 EX-L.

·
Registered
491 Posts
For me, it's usually wanting to keep the radio on when I turn off the engine. With this car, you have to turn everything off, then turn the accessory power back on. First world problem, to be sure, but still a frequent annoyance. If I switch the engine off when not in park, the engine shuts off but then everything goes dead when I shift into park afterwards. Some had written in other threads that they got the power to stay on this way, but it doesn't work on my 2018 EX-L.
That's because you have a US model. Cdn models have different logic and the Acc. power stays on after shifting to Park.

On US models you can stop the engine and end up in Park with no interruption of Acc. power but it's a little more complicated and you end up in Ignition mode. Here's the procedure:

1) After vehicle comes to a stop, shift to Park and continue to hold in the shift lever button.
2) Remove foot from brake pedal.
3) With your left hand, press the Stop/Start button twice. Engine will stop and accessories will remain powered in Ignition mode.
4) Release the shift lever button.

If interested, here's the nitty-gritty:
- Start/Stop button first press: The engine stops but because shift button is held in the logic thinks it's not in Park so power switches to Acc. mode.
- Start/Stop second press: Power switches to Ign. mode but because brake pedal isn't pressed, engine doesn't start.
- Release shift button: Logic now sees vehicle in Park but because power is in Ign. mode it stays on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I posted my original question, I found out that the windows would still work after cutting the ignition off as long as the door was not opened, like marty1 said. That has been a big help, but like SgtMarty said, it sure would be nice if the radio kept going for a while.

·
Registered
491 Posts
After I posted my original question, I found out that the windows would still work after cutting the ignition off as long as the door was not opened, like marty1 said. That has been a big help, but like SgtMarty said, it sure would be nice if the radio kept going for a while.
If you don't like the awkward procedure I listed below for keeping the radio going on US models, there is an easier method.

- After coming to a stop, press the Stop/Start button once. Engine stops and power switches to Acc. mode, keeping the radio on.
- Do not shift to Park, as that kills the Acc. power. Apply the parking brake if you don't want to keep your foot on the brake pedal.
- Shift to Park before leaving. There will be audio and visual alarms to remind you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The problem I have with my Canadian 2018 EX is I am often in the middle of a phone call, park my car and forget and the mic/speaker are suddenly off (as Apple CarPlay off too) The call continues on the phone but switches to the phones mic and speaker so I have to quickly grab the phone by hand or turn accessory mode back on by pushing start twice without pressing the brakes.

Basically either way, there is a few seconds delay in the call and unless I tell the other person to wait, it results in a few seconds of lost conversation.

I never had this problem with other cars. I guess the above tricks would work to leave the head unit on without a pause?

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I got it to work in the end. While in a phone call, I put the car in park and just keep holding the silver gear shift button down while also pushing the engine stop button. Car goes directly to accessory mode and the phone call continues seamlessly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.