Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, after refuelling at one of my local gas stations, I was leaving the station and I was eager to make a difficult left turn as I could tell I had clearance so I went for it not realizing my course went straight over the curb (it was dark, the station was poorly lit and the curb cutout was virtually impossible to discern, at least to my eyes). Now this wasn't a gigantic curb, but it wasn't a little curb where you would barely notice driving over it. The car went plop as each set of wheels went over the curb, but thankfully I didn't feel any scraping. When I take my car in for service in a couple weeks for an unrelated issue, should I ask that they inspect everything that could have been affected, if for nothing else then just for my piece of mind? It is a new car after all, and as such, barring some unforeseen incident the wheels, tires, and suspension, etc. won't be seeing any maintenance for quite a long while and I wouldn't want to be driving around on misaligned wheels or worse all that time.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Since you didn't hit the curb at speed I wouldn't expect any serious damage was done, such as wheel rims or under carrage. But having the wheel alignment checked wouldn't be unwise. The suspension on the CRV is not "trail duty" like a jeep so yes it may have knock the aligment a little. You could also slide under the CRV with a flash light and look for any scrap marks or damage to the sound deadening panels on the bottom.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd think that a CRV is able to navigate over a curb, right? It's not like it's a sedan... it's designed for off road and rough roads, isn't it?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,920 Posts
You could also slide under the CRV with a flash light and look for any scrape marks or damage to the sound deadening panels on the bottom.
That's all you need to do. Drive on, BE HAPPY.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yesterday, after refuelling at one of my local gas stations, I was leaving the station and I was eager to make a difficult left turn as I could tell I had clearance so I went for it not realizing my course went straight over the curb (it was dark, the station was poorly lit and the curb cutout was virtually impossible to discern, at least to my eyes). Now this wasn't a gigantic curb, but it wasn't a little curb where you would barely notice driving over it. The car went plop as each set of wheels went over the curb, but thankfully I didn't feel any scraping. When I take my car in for service in a couple weeks for an unrelated issue, should I ask that they inspect everything that could have been affected, if for nothing else then just for my piece of mind? It is a new car after all, and as such, barring some unforeseen incident the wheels, tires, and suspension, etc. won't be seeing any maintenance for quite a long while and I wouldn't want to be driving around on misaligned wheels or worse all that time.
It sounds like this is bothering you, so why not let a mechanic look things over for "piece of mind?" It wouldn't hurt and it will allow you to sleep better at night! I say Go For It!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'd think that a CRV is able to navigate over a curb, right? It's not like it's a sedan... it's designed for off road and rough roads, isn't it?
Nope, the CRV is built on a Civic platform. It just has a few more inches of ground clearance. It is not an off road vehicle. If you drive it on undeveloped roads make sure it doesn't have deep washouts and ruts. Interesting to note that the ground clearance of the CRV is the same as sedans built in the 50s and earlier.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nope, the CRV is built on a Civic platform. It just has a few more inches of ground clearance. It is not an off road vehicle. If you drive it on undeveloped roads make sure it doesn't have deep washouts and ruts. Interesting to note that the ground clearance of the CRV is the same as sedans built in the 50s and earlier.
That is interesting, and you are right. Now the big and important question is back in the 50's I was able to easily slide under the sedans to change oil and whatnot. In fact I have a picture of my brothers and I all under a Oldsmobile working on an exhaust system or maybe it was shock absorbers (there was always something to fix on a car back in those days!). So why can't I slide under today's CR_V?:confused::confused:

BTW, we took our 09 CR-V offroading out near the Badlands National Park. She did well on the dirt trail. But then it was pretty tame, just a lot of steep up and downs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The CR-V is Not built for off road.
uni-body construction not a Steel Frame.
I'm surprised how many people don't know.
Try not to twist your car up beyond repair.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
That is interesting, and you are right. Now the big and important question is back in the 50's I was able to easily slide under the sedans to change oil and whatnot. In fact I have a picture of my brothers and I all under a Oldsmobile working on an exhaust system or maybe it was shock absorbers (there was always something to fix on a car back in those days!). So why can't I slide under today's CR_V?:confused::confused:

BTW, we took our 09 CR-V offroading out near the Badlands National Park. She did well on the dirt trail. But then it was pretty tame, just a lot of steep up and downs.
I would like to say it's because of the under body panels getting in the way but in my case I'm just not as skinny as I was back in the olden days.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would like to say it's because of the under body panels getting in the way but in my case I'm just not as skinny as I was back in the olden days.
:rolleyes: :D I know what you mean. I look at pictures of me back then and I wonder who that skinny guy is!

The CR-V is not built for off roads? I've been on interstates that would make many dirt roads look like superhighways. You hit some of those holes and you wonder if the tires are still on the car. When we go hiking, we take the CR-V to the trail head. Some of those roads are challenging. Many many roads in this country are still gravel and some of those are full of holes big enough to swallow a cow! On our way to Nova Scotia from Maine we drove over what seemed to be 100 miles on a .... let's say less than smooth road. Colorado, well let's just say some of those "off-roads" were rough, but yielded the best views! Just how many "racked unibody suvs has there been? I've never saw one. Not one racked unibody.

·
Super Moderator
3,278 Posts
I drive dirt roads daily. My street is a dirt road. Heck I have a Client in the middle of the woods on a dirt road.
If I wasn't used to it, The first time I went there, I would have thought my GPS was faulty.
On normal roads, potholes and depressed manhole covers are common and normal. We hit those at far higher speeds than a curb hop.
My point, a curb is not something to worry about.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I don't know anyone who considers a "gravel or dirt road" off road.
That's just kind of silly.
I drive mine through a field to get to my back door.
We have bad roads and car swallowing holes in WV
even though we pay one of the highest Gas Taxes.

But you ain't running the Baja in a CR-V.
When you do--We'd all like to see it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have had the very same experience but I clearly went over a high curb at night. Didn't have any idea it was there. My CRV was checked out at the company that put on the tires and my CRV was fine. You most likely could have a local mechanic check out your CRV. Not sure I would trust what a dealership might tell you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts