Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing a rear tire on my 2013 CRV - the steel wheel was stuck to the rotor, had to kick the tire to release. There was a lot of rust on the rotor body area near the wheel studs, so I sprayed the rotor centre area. Over-spray covered the remaining brake parts - calipers, etc.

The Honda dealer did not think this rust proofing effort was a good idea, indicating I may encounter future problems

Has anybody experienced the effects of rustproofing on brake parts?

I don't think there is much I can do, i.e. removing the rustproofing from the brake parts, etc

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input,

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I was changing a rear tire on my 2013 CRV - the steel wheel was stuck to the rotor, had to kick the tire to release. There was a lot of rust on the rotor body area near the wheel studs, so I sprayed the rotor centre area. Over-spray covered the remaining brake parts - calipers, etc.

The Honda dealer did not think this rust proofing effort was a good idea, indicating I may encounter future problems

Has anybody experienced the effects of rustproofing on brake parts?

I don't think there is much I can do, i.e. removing the rustproofing from the brake parts, etc

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input,
If the rust proofing was the tar/rubber type, I wouldn't have done it or recommend doing it. It will be some work to remove it (I would). If you have a NAPA near by, they sell KBS Coating Products that work great.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

·
Registered
560 Posts
the hub should be free of rust, the best thing to do is brush on some water proof grease. Rust proofing will melt and it will be flung all over. You can also grease the inside part of the wheels

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some brakekleen would be on my list, as the last thing you want is grease contaminating your pads and rotors. Worse comes to worse, install a new set of rear pads. Rotors are wear items and thus it is irrelevant if the hat portion rusts, so long as the friction ring remains clean.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The surface where the steel hub and the alloy wheel rests is partially a reaction caused by a mating of the 2 different metals (at least that's what a smart guy told me long ago) so every time you remove a wheel, the first thing I always do is wire brush both surfaces and apply some sort of anti-seize to slow down the corrosion. There were times when I needed a sledge hammer pounding on the tire to remove a wheel. Granted , this is a problem mostly for us in the Northern climates. Not sure what type material you applied, but I'd be inclined to wire brush it off, use a solvent, whatever it takes. Not a big problem IMO, just do it yourself and keep the dealer at bay ! Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts