Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 2017 Touring's heat isn't as robust as previous cars were, but it's certainly adequate, even under the worst Minnesota conditions.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The "new normal" - car heaters are not a design priority anymore with global warming. Some regions of the world don't actually need them anymore. But it does raise a new problem, car designers are trying to balance the need for ever increasing dash screens with much bigger AC vents. I think the AC "A' team won at the expense of the heater "B" team. LOL

But seriously, my 17 CRV with the lower grill masked-off during winter and not using the auto function (helps keep the grill closed) is acceptable- not great- acceptable.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Can you share with us how you “masked-off” the lower grill? I’ve done basically the opposite......I pulled fuse #22 to disable the lower crazy shutters. The lower crazy shutter never closes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Our car (2020 model) sat outside overnight a few nights back in Northern Ontario in -30 C windchill on a little road trip. Started and let it warm up for 2 or 3 minutes while I wiped off the snow then drove off. After mostly Highway driving as we were staying at the end of town, it was up to temperature and giving good cabin heat in 5 more minutes and the cabin was quite warm within 10 minutes. The car was just as comfortable as any other car I have had. The other days we had -20 windchills overnight and again reasonable warm up and good interior heat. I would like to think they have solved the heat problem esp on the newer models. I did note that the 2020 models have lower fuel economy even with start/stop so maybe the rpms are kept higher while the engine heats up ? I do leave A/C turned off mostly in the winter as with my other cars but doubt this makes much of a difference even if lower louvers close on startup.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I’m thinking the biggest difference is NOT having the radiator efans running. About the only way to stop the efans is to manually turn off a/c using the touch screen. In “auto” mode, the a/c compressor is most likely running and if the compressor is running, the efans are also running.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Agreed, that's what I do. But keep in mind that pressing the windshield defrost button overrides the A/C Man. Off setting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our car (2020 model) sat outside overnight a few nights back in Northern Ontario in -30 C windchill on a little road trip. Started and let it warm up for 2 or 3 minutes while I wiped off the snow then drove off. After mostly Highway driving as we were staying at the end of town, it was up to temperature and giving good cabin heat in 5 more minutes and the cabin was quite warm within 10 minutes. The car was just as comfortable as any other car I have had. The other days we had -20 windchills overnight and again reasonable warm up and good interior heat. I would like to think they have solved the heat problem esp on the newer models. I did note that the 2020 models have lower fuel economy even with start/stop so maybe the rpms are kept higher while the engine heats up ? I do leave A/C turned off mostly in the winter as with my other cars but doubt this makes much of a difference even if lower louvers close on startup.
thats good to hear ; but did you have block heater plugged in all night ?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Agreed, that's what I do. But keep in mind that pressing the windshield defrost button overrides the A/C Man. Off setting.
Correct........compressor on, efans on.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I appreciate this fresh data point. :)

It is entirely possible Honda has further adjusted the engine and transmission tune settings in the midlife refresh.. where they would also perform a refreshed EPA fuel economy validation as well...to improve warming up from cold conditions. It certainly would effect fuel economy a bit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I appreciate this fresh data point. :)

It is entirely possible Honda has further adjusted the engine and transmission tune settings in the midlife refresh.. where they would also perform a refreshed EPA fuel economy validation as well...to improve warming up from cold conditions. It certainly would effect fuel economy a bit.
Yes I have been mulling over why the slight fuel economy drop for 2020. You can see below that the combined for Canada is also a bit lower for 2020 probably due to number rounding.
Honda US and Honda Canada advertised fuel economy:
US 2020 model awd. 27/32/29 mpg (city/hwy/combined)
US 2019 model awd. 27/33/29 mpg with start/stop

Canada 2020 awd. 8.7/7.2/8.0 L/100km
Canada 2019 awd. 8.7/7.4/8.1 L/100km with start/stop

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can you share with us how you “masked-off” the lower grill? I’ve done basically the opposite......I pulled fuse #22 to disable the lower crazy shutters. The lower crazy shutter never closes.
That was why I masked the lower vent area, the intercooler has no shutters to close,so will always allow some venting regarless of the upper shutters. At best, unless you mask the all vents, you will get some airflow. I only do the lower. It seems to help. With more agressive masking, I did notice hotter rad temps (even fans running in traffic in cold temps), but still within normal summer temps. So to be safe, I backed off to only lower intercooler area as a sweet spot for our typical 15-20F nights, 40F ish days. When it start getting 50-55F+ in the days, I just discard the tape. This is my second winter of doing this.

I use Gorilla brand black duck tape ( I think 1 1/2, it takes two strips to cover lower vent). It is super sticky and much better then the "Duck" brand in my experinece. Just takes seconds to apply, and being black, is almost not noticeable.

I was initially concerend about the optimal function of the intercooler, but I have a light foot using the turbo. And I monitor with the SC II guage for total rad temps Ct1/Ct2, And turbo boast during normal operation. When it gets warmer, I just remove the masking tape,as noted.

I am sure a purist would object to the intercooler not "cooling" the air, but at 10-40F ambient temps and my light use of the the turbo, the thermal mass lag of even its AL cold body, would be more then adequate vs its trying to cool the hot air 90F in summer traffic. If it was that critical,they would make it out of copper no Al. And add fans, not just not having no shutters. LOL Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Our car (2020 model) sat outside overnight a few nights back in Northern Ontario in -30 C windchill
Still air temperature is what we should focus on for this discussion. The car won't cool down to anything below that no matter what the wind.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes I have been mulling over why the slight fuel economy drop for 2020. You can see below that the combined for Canada is also a bit lower for 2020 probably due to number rounding.
Honda US and Honda Canada advertised fuel economy:
US 2020 model awd. 27/32/29 mpg (city/hwy/combined)
US 2019 model awd. 27/33/29 mpg with start/stop

Canada 2020 awd. 8.7/7.2/8.0 L/100km
Canada 2019 awd. 8.7/7.4/8.1 L/100km with start/stop
Wouldn't the start/stop feature be more advantageous for city driving? It just seems strange to me the numbers posted above show an improved gas mileage for highway driving.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Wouldn't the start/stop feature be more advantageous for city driving? It just seems strange to me the numbers posted above show an improved gas mileage for highway driving.
The EPA numbers reflect controlled test results from the baseline vehicles tested for EPA certification. IF, as is suspected, Honda has changed powertrain tuning a bit for the 2020 to improve cabin heating and engine temperature in cold conditions ... this could very well be reflected in both city and highway numbers. So I personally do not see a mystery here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW worth and another anecdotal experience, I also found the heat on my 2017 EX-L to perform poorly, but, the A/C or heating system recall/service replacement did dramatically and noticeably improve performance. Have found that in 20-40F weather, it takes about 5-10 minutes for the heat to warm the cabin (car is garaged overnight, northern New Jersey).

Having previously read about doing so for both oil dilution and heat reasons, I always drive the car in Sport / "S" when looking to warm the cabin quickly. I generally use the "Auto" climate setting and dial back the fan speed until I feel warm air. I used to always manually engage the AC "On" within the touchscreen, but based on some reading, understood that was actually not the best way to quickly warm the cabin. Seeing better results with just Auto (usually start with airflow on feet only mode, and 1 or 2 fan speed, until I notice it warms up).

I basically never remote start the car (obviously, garage), but when I have parked it outside and remote start, find that only driving (in Sport) suffices to warm the car quickly.

Again, from anecdotal experience, the heat on the CRV is several minutes slower to generate warm air than a 2014 Lexus RX 350 and 2020 Honda Odyssey Touring.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Still air temperature is what we should focus on for this discussion. The car won't cool down to anything below that no matter what the wind.
you’re a mind reader. I was going to post almost the same thing this morning at almost the same time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The EPA numbers reflect controlled test results from the baseline vehicles tested for EPA certification. IF, as is suspected, Honda has changed powertrain tuning a bit for the 2020 to improve cabin heating and engine temperature in cold conditions ... this could very well be reflected in both city and highway numbers. So I personally do not see a mystery here.
I'm not following the logic. Can you please provide a bit more detail? From reading the various posts from people with a cabin heating problem, it seemed like the heat wasn't an issue if the person was exercising the car on the highway, but local city driving caused the car to take much longer to heat up. Based upon that, wouldn't the tuning effect city driving more than highway driving? I would think the mileage for city driving would go down based on a tuning change.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Your question can't really be answered except by someone at that does the programming, but....

One issue is that the engine runs rich when cold, and at low rpms under higher boost pressures. there is a reason for this.

Having it run slightly leaner can reduce OD and allow it to warm up quicker. Which in turn could increase city mileage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
thats good to hear ; but did you have block heater plugged in all night ?
I don’t use a block heater, I live in southern Ontario and most nights my vehicles are garaged. For the occasional trip up north I don’t have the need....now if I lived up north this would be a definite need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Air temp was -23C. I do however feel that low windchill values do delay a vehicles interior warmup time, hence the reporting -30C windchill value.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts