Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wouldn't the start/stop feature be more advantageous for city driving? It just seems strange to me the numbers posted above show an improved gas mileage for highway driving.
The 2020 models get slightly “less” fuel economy on the hwy than previous years per Honda. Start stop won’t influence this. Even with start stop, 2020 models also get same fuel economy as previous years in the city; I think they may have tweaked things a bit for 2020 for both hwy and city driving.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
That was why I masked the lower vent area, the intercooler has no shutters to close,so will always allow some venting regarless of the upper shutters. At best, unless you mask the all vents, you will get some airflow. I only do the lower. It seems to help. With more agressive masking, I did notice hotter rad temps (even fans running in traffic in cold temps), but still within normal summer temps. So to be safe, I backed off to only lower intercooler area as a sweet spot for our typical 15-20F nights, 40F ish days. When it start getting 50-55F+ in the days, I just discard the tape. This is my second winter of doing this.

I use Gorilla brand black duck tape ( I think 1 1/2, it takes two strips to cover lower vent). It is super sticky and much better then the "Duck" brand in my experinece. Just takes seconds to apply, and being black, is almost not noticeable.

I was initially concerend about the optimal function of the intercooler, but I have a light foot using the turbo. And I monitor with the SC II guage for total rad temps Ct1/Ct2, And turbo boast during normal operation. When it gets warmer, I just remove the masking tape,as noted.

I am sure a purist would object to the intercooler not "cooling" the air, but at 10-40F ambient temps and my light use of the the turbo, the thermal mass lag of even its AL cold body, would be more then adequate vs its trying to cool the hot air 90F in summer traffic. If it was that critical,they would make it out of copper no Al. And add fans, not just not having no shutters. LOL Just my thoughts.
I’m pretty sure the lower grill in front of the intercooler has 3 shutter blades/slats that open/close while the upper grill has 4 shutter blades/slats. Sounds like your a/c compressor is engaged, since the efans are running in cold temps. I’m thinking running efans/open crazy shutters are fighting against heater performance.

Gorilla tape....👍👍.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The 2020 models get slightly “less” fuel economy on the hwy than previous years per Honda. Start stop won’t influence this. Even with start stop, 2020 models also get same fuel economy as previous years in the city; I think they may have tweaked things a bit for 2020 for both hwy and city driving.
Exactly. If they indeed made some behind the scenes changes to engine and CVT tuning... I would fully expect that to carry over at all vehicle speeds.. not just low speed. I simply to not believe the current tuning controls accounts for that. Hence.. their changes would effect both city and highway fuel economy to some degree.

In reality, the difference in mpg is in the noise compared to actual fuel economy. My guess is the reason we see 1mpg off the highway, and yet city and avg are the same year over year.. it's probably just a rounding error in the final numbers... since they do not show fractions of a mile in EPA mpg.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Air temp was -23C. I do however feel that low windchill values do delay a vehicles interior warmup time, hence the reporting -30C windchill value.
[/QUOTE
your car obviously heats faster driving on the highway than either parked, or driving slow. Yet your CRV at -23C real temperature doing 100 km/h speed on the highway is experiencing a calculated windchill value of -44C.
This oversimplified example is to show why stating windchill numbers is misleading when used with machines like automobiles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Hudson Valley NY and winter temperatures are usually in the low twenties in the morning. My car is not garaged. Someone posted a few months ago regarding the time it takes the engine to warm up. He said drive the car in sport mode for a little while. I started doing this and my car now warms up in the 7 minute drive to the gym in the morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anybody had any satisfaction in remediating the cabin heat problem? The heat has never been strong, but it's worse than ever now. It takes forever for the temperature gauge to reach operating temperature, and as soon as you turn the heat on, the coolant temperature gauge plummets, and there is little to no cabin heat. The gauge only rises again under acceleration, and as soon as you stop at a light or coast, it plummets again and there is no heat. In case you're wondering, this isn't only occurring in extreme cold, this happens in 40+ degree weather. The only time the heater actually works and the engine maintains operating temperature is when it's so warm you don't need heat! According to Honda, everything is operating normally. Has anybody had any success in getting Honda to fix this problem? Is it too late for a lemon law buyback on a 2017?
Does seem that the newer vehicles with aluminum core radiators do take a bit long
to heat up, but they are designed to cool the engine and they do really well at that,
but the engine coolant temp is controlled by the cooling system thermostat
I think Honda runs a 195 degree thermostat so no mater what the engine
coolant should reach 195 degrees, which should be plenty hot enough to
provide cabin heat. If the thermostat doesn’t fully close when cold it
will never reach proper temp. Honda should be able to read water temp. with
their diagnostics equipment when warmed up. Could possibly be a bad
thermostat. We live in the Blue Ridge Mountains and have owned 3 CRV ‘s and
have not found the cabin heat to be a problem other than taken a little long to
warm up. Might try a new thermosta.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anybody had any satisfaction in remediating the cabin heat problem? The heat has never been strong, but it's worse than ever now. It takes forever for the temperature gauge to reach operating temperature, and as soon as you turn the heat on, the coolant temperature gauge plummets, and there is little to no cabin heat. The gauge only rises again under acceleration, and as soon as you stop at a light or coast, it plummets again and there is no heat. In case you're wondering, this isn't only occurring in extreme cold, this happens in 40+ degree weather. The only time the heater actually works and the engine maintains operating temperature is when it's so warm you don't need heat! According to Honda, everything is operating normally. Has anybody had any success in getting Honda to fix this problem? Is it too late for a lemon law buyback on a 2017?
I am going to my dealership tomorrow morning to have them give me an actual engine temp reading out of the ODB port of my 18 CR-V. It is predicted to be -11 f in the morning. A few weeks ago, at +10 outside, after a 50 mile freeway drive, actual engine temp was 160 f. They took the CR-V into a heated service bay and it went up to 180. Honda customer service rep. in response to my CS complaint told me on the phone yesterday that this was proof everything was working as designed. I asked for their response in writing. She said the only response I would receive was verbal and that my complaint had been closed.

The service manager says he has dozens of customers complaining. He said his Accord has the same engine and the vents blow cold as soon as he leaves the freeway. Honda official response to him was, it is operating as designed, nothing to fix. A cold cab is one thing, when your windshield frosts over and your wipers freeze, it becomes a safety issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nope.
One of several reasons the 2018 CR-V I traded in was my 12th and last Honda product.
Did they also suggest that you change the oil every 2500 miles?
And that fuel diluting the oil was normal, too?

·
Registered
115 Posts
My last dealer gave me a 15 minute course on how to properly manipulate the cabin heat controls; apparently I got it all wrong. I have to keep the fan on either the first or second speed setting when starting the engine. I am to never use any fan setting higher than 3 or 4. When the car is cold, I am to keep the cabin vents on feet only. Once heat comes out (finally), then I can increase the fan speed one notch, but not too fast, and I can eventually change the cabin air to send heat through the upper and lower / feet vents... Yep, this was apparently recommended by the Honda engineers when they had my car in to inspect the low heat issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is an interesting post..I have not had any issue getting heat from my 2014 CRV and I love the heated seats..will never have a car without them..my truck has them too..anyway I have noticed lately that when driving in cold weather and I have the mode switch set at both feet and dash vents I get cool air...not cold, but cool..I have to crank the temp up to 74 or so..if I put the mode back to just feet or just upper vents, the heat comes on strong and soon I am turning the temp back down to 67-68..I never use the auto function. I have checked my coolant level and it is there. I also had my coolant system recently flushed and replaced.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Nope.
One of several reasons the 2018 CR-V I traded in was my 12th and last Honda product.
Did they also suggest that you change the oil every 2500 miles?
And that fuel diluting the oil was normal, too?
Why hang around in a Honda vehicle forum if that is the case??

About all I see from you since you joined is a lot drive-by snark and tears.

Sincere question: Is it that you need everyone else to hate their gen5 CRV and the Honda brand as you do???? If so.. you are wasting your time and the time of everyone else as well.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V LX
1 Posts
We just bought a 2018 CR-V LX, and it doesn't seem to heat up as fast as the 2011 it replaced. If you don't have an OBD2 scanner, you could go to O'Reilly's or Autozone & ask them if their scanners can read your coolant temp. See what they get. They'll do it for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
consider replacing the thermostat and flushing the entire cooling system. Finally, refill with 50/50 coolant/distilled water.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In my case, CT2 never increases above ambient temp, indicating that the thermostat never opens. Even with no radiator cooling, it is a struggle to keep my engine temp close to the 80C setpoint. It will only reach that setpoint after the cabin temp reaches the 20C or so that I set as the wanted cabin temp. Only then is coolant flow reduced through the heater core, giving the engine a real chance to reach normal operating temps. I have to sometimes put the car in sport mode or take a detour and take the highway, which wastes more gas for me, and is not really a smart thing to do, as the reason I bought the car in the first place was for its fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why hang around in a Honda vehicle forum if that is the case??

About all I see from you since you joined is a lot drive-by snark and tears.

Sincere question: Is it that you need everyone else to hate their gen5 CRV and the Honda brand as you do???? If so.. you are wasting your time and the time of everyone else as well.
Agree.
Move on dude and take your biatching somewhere else!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am more intrigued on how many people are so concerned on what the temp gauge is showing during cold weather. I would be more concerned about it showing a high temp during extreme hot weather. I get in my 2018 V Touring on a 40 degree morning. I start up the car and start driving. Before I reach mile one, the heater is already blowing warm air......a/c turned off. By mile two it’s getting too warm in the car at the setting of 74 degrees. I never wear a sweater or jacket in the car...... too confining. At mile 3 I have to turn it down to 69 degrees. I could care less what the temp gauge is showing. The car is running fine not stalling. It eventually reaches it normal temp range. I love the car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Our Heat Checks
We have not complained about cabin heat issues, no matter the weather but we wanted a record before having the “fix”. Using an excellent digital cooking thermometer placed in the passengers dash heat vent. In general the minimum a warmed up car should be is at least 125°F from the duct; every car is different and CR-V scale is unknown. All temperatures are in F and all with no warm up.

Engine heat before the fix hit the red mark between 49-60°F. Now it hits red at 76-79°F. Cabin heat was 100-110*F before after 4 miles; now it is 113-118°F in the same distance with colder outside temps (today was 17°). Seems it heats up sooner but doesn't reach the high cabin heat as quickly. Before the highest was 123°F (warmed up and 3 miles of expressway); now it tops out at 114-118°F. All the tests were done below 32° but it has been colder since the fix.

A dealership suggestion to help heat cabin in winter
Don't use ECO mode.
DO use S mode (sport).
Keep heater off until the engine warms up.

Cabin heat issue
Lack of sufficient cabin heat is a serious issue for many in the north, especially in Canada where extreme lows like -20° can be a winter norm. Many owners report an unusually long time to heat up. Owners in very cold climates find remote starts useless; it actually makes things worse by blowing ice-cold air on the windshield for the full ten minutes. Other noticeable areas of cabin heat loss are when the car is at idle or when it is going down a long extended hill. As a example of the idle issue, after a 20 minute drive one owner’s measurements showed a 30° drop at the heat vent in just two minutes! In frigid Canadian temperatures with -35°F there are reports of ice buildup on the inside the windows.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You will find that most Canadians parking outside in the north will use a block heater with any vehicle. I would hope that remote start generates some cabin heat quickly at -35 degrees with a block heater?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts