Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
the snow that accumulates on it and winter freezing rain.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
It sure will as it is deep into the Engine a neat lil feature i was already aware of.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nice video. Looks like Honda was smart enough to leave them open after a shutdown so they would be open if iced over. Then they exercise them at start up.

From Honda's Release Notes:

Active Shutter Grille System

"Making its Honda debut on the 2017 CR-V, the new Active Shutter Grille system reduces aerodynamic drag at cruising speeds, directly helping to improve fuel efficiency on the highway. The system uses an electric step motor controlled by a processor that tracks major temperature parameters including engine coolant temperature, transmission oil temperature and air-conditioning requirements. The system either opens or closes the upper and lower shutters simultaneously to control the amount of air flowing through the engine’s radiator and the air conditioner’s condenser (plus the intercooler, for trims powered by the 1.5L turbo engine). The lower shutters leave a small area always open for optimum airflow even when the shutters are closed. The system is designed to keep the shutters closed as much as possible-even in city driving-for improved aerodynamic performance and fuel efficiency."

By the way, Honda indicates they use a "electric step" motor. I am familiar with a "stepping motor," which is a unique motor / controller combination that can incrementally "step" to a particular rotational angle and then stop accurately. It can do 6 degrees or 360 degress, one step at a time. It also provides "torque hold" in the end position, acting as an electric brake. Honda may have another method to hold the shutters in position as torque hold requires continuous power to achieve.

It is a very interesting specialized motor that we used in industrial machines to locate x, y axis positions precisely without having to worry about feedback sensors. 30 years ago the control for something this powerful (eg able to move large shutters under wind load) was a board the size of a laptop and the system cost thousands of dollars. The stepping motors themselves were very reliable as they were a multi-pole brushless DC design.

Diagram Line art Drawing Technical drawing Sketch

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Stepper motors have been used for many years on the IAC motors, now the electronic throttle plates. When you read the data stream on the IAC you would see "counts". Of course the counts were how many steps the motor had moved as it screwed in an out to set the bypass air to help set the idle speed. If you have a good ear and the hood up on some vehicles you can hear the IAC "home" the motor and then "count" out to the per-programed step count for where the computer wants it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice video. Looks like Honda was smart enough to leave them open after a shutdown so they would be open if iced over. Then they exercise them at start up.

From Honda's Release Notes:

Active Shutter Grille System

"Making its Honda debut on the 2017 CR-V, the new Active Shutter Grille system reduces aerodynamic drag at cruising speeds, directly helping to improve fuel efficiency on the highway. The system uses an electric step motor controlled by a processor that tracks major temperature parameters including engine coolant temperature, transmission oil temperature and air-conditioning requirements. The system either opens or closes the upper and lower shutters simultaneously to control the amount of air flowing through the engine’s radiator and the air conditioner’s condenser (plus the intercooler, for trims powered by the 1.5L turbo engine). The lower shutters leave a small area always open for optimum airflow even when the shutters are closed. The system is designed to keep the shutters closed as much as possible-even in city driving-for improved aerodynamic performance and fuel efficiency."

By the way, Honda indicates they use a "electric step" motor. I am familiar with a "stepping motor," which is a unique motor / controller combination that can incrementally "step" to a particular rotational angle and then stop accurately. It can do 6 degrees or 360 degress, one step at a time. It also provides "torque hold" in the end position, acting as an electric brake. Honda may have another method to hold the shutters in position as torque hold requires continuous power to achieve.

It is a very interesting specialized motor that we used in industrial machines to locate x, y axis positions precisely without having to worry about feedback sensors. 30 years ago the control for something this powerful (eg able to move large shutters under wind load) was a board the size of a laptop and the system cost thousands of dollars. The stepping motors themselves were very reliable as they were a multi-pole brushless DC design.

View attachment 95553
It seems the lower shutter has only 3 grills and has no grill on the first slot. Anyone could confirm if theirs is the same?
When does it close/open?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
If it can detect a flying object fast enough it will protect your radiators . unless its caught shut even better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is probably a useful feature on big diesels as it allows the engine to heat up faster on a cold day. The C(d) on a CR-V isn't going to magically become fantastic by blocking off half the grill.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is probably a useful feature on big diesels as it allows the engine to heat up faster on a cold day. The C(d) on a CR-V isn't going to magically become fantastic by blocking off half the grill.
Not fantastic, but better then without the active shutter grills blocking the majority of the radiator when in closed mode. The prior and current gen Ford Fusion also has active shutter grills to help improve coefficient drag. Neither company would waste the time and money to install them if they didn't work :).

This makes me wonder... Other threads have commented that this ac auto setting favors recirc. Mine hasn't but I wonder if it's connected to the active grill?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
They are unrelated. Air for the A/C comes into the car via the large vent next to the driver side windshield wiper arm.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It seems the lower shutter has only 3 grills and has no grill on the first slot. Anyone could confirm if theirs is the same?
When does it close/open?

Thanks
From the factory service manual:

"The shutter grille system controls the heat dissipation by controlling the air flow to the engine room during engine warm-up.
While vehicle running, improving the aerodynamic performance by controlling the opening and closing the shutter grille.
Improving the fuel efficiency by the improvement of the engine warm-up and the aerodynamic performances."

Here's a graphic, also from the service manual, showing the operation modes:

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2018 CRV 10 days ago and with less than 600 miles on it, we've already had a problem with the shutter grille freezing. Warning message said "Shutter grille problem. Power reduced." We'd been driving 1.5 hrs when it happened. 28 degrees, no active precipitation, and the vehicle did lose significant power. Brought it to dealer who told us we have to make sure snow and ice is cleared from grill before driving. I don't think there was any snow or ice on the grill - I think this is going to be a problem. Dealer says we were the only ones to ever report this problem...Time will tell. In the meantime, we are extremely disappointed and would not recommend buying this car unless you live somewhere warm and snow-free. Missing my Audi already...

·
Registered
844 Posts
We just bought a 2018 CRV 10 days ago and with less than 600 miles on it, we've already had a problem with the shutter grille freezing. Warning message said "Shutter grille problem. Power reduced." We'd been driving 1.5 hrs when it happened. 28 degrees, no active precipitation, and the vehicle did lose significant power. Brought it to dealer who told us we have to make sure snow and ice is cleared from grill before driving. I don't think there was any snow or ice on the grill - I think this is going to be a problem. Dealer says we were the only ones to ever report this problem...Time will tell. In the meantime, we are extremely disappointed and would not recommend buying this car unless you live somewhere warm and snow-free. Missing my Audi already...
I had a feeling the shutters would be a problem but not so fast.I'm worried about dirt build up causing a problem too.

" dealer who told us we have to make sure snow and ice is cleared from grill before driving."
Now we have to clean out the shutter area before driving?
That's BS!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was driving a few days ago and got this "Shutter grille problem. Power reduced" error message. I was driving in freezing rain for several hours, and by the time I got this error there was >.25" of ice all over the front of the CR-V up to and including the entire hood. I knocked the ice off the grill area -- took a while -- and also the radar area for the third time that trip. The error message went away after I stopped and started the car.

While the power was definitely reduced when this error was displayed, I was able to accelerate up to at least 55 mph. Pretty sure I could have gone faster in theory, but not in practice given traffic and the icy conditions.

Other than this understandable problem, the CR-V did great on this trip through ice, slush, and snow. I have Bridgestone Blizzak tires installed for the winter.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was driving a few days ago and got this "Shutter grille problem. Power reduced" error message. I was driving in freezing rain for several hours, and by the time I got this error there was >.25" of ice all over the front of the CR-V up to and including the entire hood. I knocked the ice off the grill area -- took a while -- and also the radar area for the third time that trip. The error message went away after I stopped and started the car.

While the power was definitely reduced when this error was displayed, I was able to accelerate up to at least 55 mph. Pretty sure I could have gone faster in theory, but not in practice given traffic and the icy conditions.

Other than this understandable problem, the CR-V did great on this trip through ice, slush, and snow. I have Bridgestone Blizzak tires installed for the winter.
I can understand the radar issue which is acceptable to me.
However, the shutter design sucks.The Honda engineers didn't see this issue coming?WTF?
No excuse.Very bad design that won't be on the '19+ if owners are having this issue.I can see a design change.
There may be a lot of unhappy CR-V owners in the snow belt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.