Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,977 Posts
What do you mean by REAL? What are the specs of your camper (total loaded weight and tongue weight)?

Don't forget, the V is a unibody vehicle. Honda determined that spec by considering effects on vehicle systems (like transmission cooling).

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
And, it's more complicated then just the 1,500 lbs for the trailer weight.

From Page 231 of the 2014 CR-V Owners Manual:

"Maximum allowable weight of the trailer,
cargo, and everything in or on it must not
exceed 1,500 lbs (680 kg). Towing loads in
excess of this can seriously affect vehicle
handling and performance and can damage
the engine and drivetrain."

You also have to be concerned about tongue weight, also on Page 231:

"The weight of the tongue with a fully loaded
trailer on the hitch should be approximately
10% of the total trailer weight."

On Pages 229 and 230 of the same manual it talks about the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), which is 850 lbs.
The weight of all passengers, all cargo inside the vehicle, and the tongue weight can not safely exceed 850 lbs.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I would also recommend you take your fully loaded trailer to a public scale to have it accurately weighed.....don’t guess trailer weight is about XXXX lbs.

FWIW......we have an ‘09 RAV4 with the factory tow prep pkg giving it a 3500 lb tow rating. You can definitely tell when a mere 1500 lbs is being pulled behind it.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
147 Posts
Have a 2012 CRV AWD..towed a U-Haul 5x8 cargo trailer fully loaded from Pennsylvania to Florida via mountains in West Virginia. I was at max towing (1500#) and had no trouble pulling the West Virginia hills.
Do be careful on braking...anticipate a lengthier stop distance and drive accordingly.
My gas mileage was about 12-14 mpg on the whole trip of 1100 miles.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
416 Posts
Proud owners of CRVs generally get mighty defensive when it's suggested if they need to tow then they often need another vehicle.

Towing Specs: 1500# max loaded trailer weight AND no more than 850 pounds of cargo on the V; with the recommended 10% (minimum) - 15% (ideal) bumper hitch weight added the cargo capacity is quickly consumed/ exhausted.

Even simply adding a hitch will detract from the available cargo capacity. Driver, wife and mother-in law, ka-ching. Kids and pets, ka-ching. Ice chest, ka-ching. Luggage and toys, ka-ching.

Can it be forced to pull more?
Yes, and it often has been, but that doesn't make it prudent.

The V is an incredible buggy - when used within what it was designed for. Stay safe.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It's not just V owners. Just too many people give dumb responses as arm chair experts. Running around saying you need some massive 1 ton pickup practically to tow kayak. Just like they go on about needing a class 3+ trailer hitch receiver to handle a 2 bicycle rack ...

I tow with my 2003 all the time. Best way to do it is to figure 1500lb trailer with nothing more than 1 passenger (plus driver). Any gear and such added beyond that is deducted from towing capacity. The "cargo limit" for inside vehicle is not looked at as "in addition to" towing capacity.

Also would be wise to have an additional transmission cooler installed. I did on mine though except only one short run by mistake (went way over towing capacity but was just a few minutes of in town driving to scrap yard) I am always at or below capacity.

Obviously Honda looks at it differently but keeping weight down and such is best unless you want to replace your transmission way sooner than you should. Those that "have done it without problems" have no idea the damage done to their transmissions till it needs replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Moderate
2,519 Posts
I've towed a lot with my previous Gen3 (the Gen4 has no towbar). It's fine but the fuel economy is terrible.

Here's an example of me hauling three and a half metric tons of old tires out of nature:

Reactions: Tigris99

·
Registered
23 Posts
JShee...what kind of towing are you planning to do, how often and how far? I routinely tow more than 1500 pounds with my 2014 crv. I bought a small tractor (1500#) and towed it on my 750 pound utility trailer 80 miles back to my place in the mountains of northern PA..it towed like a champ...I did not drive like a nut..62-63 on the highway with the overdrive turned off. I have hauled a loaded trailer 325 miles to the house with no issues..I launched my neighbors 21' boat at the ramp 4 miles away..probably 3500 pounds..towed it the same as my 17' boat

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
416 Posts
It is not about how much trailer weight your CR-V can move, but is all about how much trailer weight you safely stop

OR STEER, UNDER EMERGENCY CONDITIONS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is not about how much trailer weight your CR-V can move, but is all about how much trailer weight you safely stop.
I wouldn't say that it's all about how much the vehicle can safely stop. It's about stopping, steering, weight distribution, vehicle capabilities, etc.

Obviously, you have to be able to stop safely. No argument there. You also have to be able to control the vehicle under varying and emergency conditions.

Also important is not being stranded on the side of the highway with your family in the vehicle waiting for the tow truck to take the vehicle (but not the trailer) to the tranny shop. Then you have to go back with a different vehicle and pick up the trailer, meaning more unsafe time on the side of the highway.

So it's all about how much weight is being moved (trailer and vehicle combined), how the weight is distributed, the condition of the trailer, the condition of the vehicle and a bunch of other things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.