Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the ride on the Acura SUV any better than the 2014 CRV? I have tried different tires and tire pressures with virtually no improvement. San Diego streets are worse than 3rd world at best.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
282 Posts
I can't answer your question but I will say my 19 Passport is significantly better riding/ more comfy - than my prior 16 CRV (and my new 14 CRV). For what it's worth, so is my brides 20 Odyssey.

But being equally honest - my Vs were (are) more fun to drive with their go-cart like attributes - something I think would be better in quickly dodging potholes and maneuvering narrow streets/ tight parking lots.

Nothing that an unbiased test drive wouldn't reveal. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
846 Posts
The 4th Gen CR-V does not ride great on any kind of pavement really (apart from smooth asphalt in a straight line, of course). It uses cheap technological solutions in every part of the suspension and the steering geometry is a bit weird compared to anything I have driven.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Which model CR-V? I ask because the my kid's LX has higher profile wheels/tires (215/70-16). They don't handle as well as the low profile 17" tires of the EX / EXL, but the ride over choppy pavement is much better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an EXL and I have tried the original Continental tires, a Chinese Black Lion brand and Michelins. None really solve the ride problem. Softer springs just aren’t available. Maybe I need a Buick to deal with our San Diego streets.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Let's try this again, because you didn't get it....

Tire brands can make a difference. Tire SIZE can make a HUGE difference in ride.

The LX rides softer than a near equivalent EX or EX-L because the tire sidewall is taller and provides more 'give' on poor roads. It also doesn't handle as well because of the narrower footprint and more flexible sidewall. But it's a trade-off that might be the answer to your issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts