Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an ad that attempts to load in the right hand column, in two spots, on every single page on this forum, in any browser, that is freezing every single page due to a long running script, multiple times in each instance, on each page. Began a week or so ago. It's a block of black background completely filled with white text, which begins with an MSRP price - it's a car sale ad. It is making the entire site literally unusable. EITHER FIX IT OR REMOVE IT, immediately, please. Thanks. Also, this is a website-side platform issue, not a browser issue, so no excuses. It's a toxic ad, improperly constructed and consistently malfunctioning.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't get that. Not just Today. I normally use Chrome. Closed the session and tried Internet Explorer. With IE I don't get the 3 Dots to the Right of Login up top. Nor the 2 "blue" links for Popular and Start Discussion to the Left of Login. If I put my Cursor up there they open though. I'm using an old fashioned PC. 4 year old Dell tower w/wireless keyboard and mouse. Funny thing, when using IE, I didn't see this Thread listed on the first page of "Popular" Threads. Had to come back to Chrome to get that. At the moment I see plain white borders on both Left and Right. Pretty wide too. No ads on the Left. Right is top to bottom; info about this Thread, Honda Genuine Accessories, info about Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums, a tiny picture ad for CAR ID, then Popular Communities - Mountain Bike Reviews & Home Improvement hyper-links, then lastly an ad for "TOTO Washlet. It's time to upgrade your bathroom operating systems". Yikes.
Clear your cookies and Temp Internet files. You want IE 11, too. Check your Pop Up Blocker. If it's set to Off, change to On, etc. It's on the Command Bar up top, under the Tools drop-down menu. Right-Click up top to see what "Bars" you have enabled. Although Chrome works much better. The equipment needs to be able to handle all the graphic junk that's embedded in the vast majority of Web sites today. This site is pretty good, actually.
Okay, came back 20 minutes later. Same, except the "TOTO Washlet" ad has been replaced by an ad for a 2019 RAV4. $229/Mo 36 Months lease...It's Local Auto Group, Larson Toyota of Tacoma. The ad is from Ad Choices, which I have found way too invasive. But, that's another story and it's not intruding or slowing my browser down.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
I'm not seeing that (I run AdBlockPlus) but I have forwarded your observations to the Admins...

Feel free to update with results, or to bring issues like this up to us. :)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not seeing that (I run AdBlockPlus) but I have forwarded your observations to the Admins...

Feel free to update with results, or to bring issues like this up to us. :)

Thanks, Atwell, I appreciate that. I prefer not to have to rely on too many utility apps. I prefer that the site admins do their jobs instead.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't get that. Not just Today. I normally use Chrome. Closed the session and tried Internet Explorer. With IE I don't get the 3 Dots to the Right of Login up top. Nor the 2 "blue" links for Popular and Start Discussion to the Left of Login. If I put my Cursor up there they open though. I'm using an old fashioned PC. 4 year old Dell tower w/wireless keyboard and mouse. Funny thing, when using IE, I didn't see this Thread listed on the first page of "Popular" Threads. Had to come back to Chrome to get that. At the moment I see plain white borders on both Left and Right. Pretty wide too. No ads on the Left. Right is top to bottom; info about this Thread, Honda Genuine Accessories, info about Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums, a tiny picture ad for CAR ID, then Popular Communities - Mountain Bike Reviews & Home Improvement hyper-links, then lastly an ad for "TOTO Washlet. It's time to upgrade your bathroom operating systems". Yikes.
Clear your cookies and Temp Internet files. You want IE 11, too. Check your Pop Up Blocker. If it's set to Off, change to On, etc. It's on the Command Bar up top, under the Tools drop-down menu. Right-Click up top to see what "Bars" you have enabled. Although Chrome works much better. The equipment needs to be able to handle all the graphic junk that's embedded in the vast majority of Web sites today. This site is pretty good, actually.
Okay, came back 20 minutes later. Same, except the "TOTO Washlet" ad has been replaced by an ad for a 2019 RAV4. $229/Mo 36 Months lease...It's Local Auto Group, Larson Toyota of Tacoma. The ad is from Ad Choices, which I have found way too invasive. But, that's another story and it's not intruding or slowing my browser down.
I normally use Edge, and hold IE in reserve. I don't use Chrome or any of the other minimal or open-source browsers. Chrome is going away anyway, as it is currently being merged with Edge to form a new browser that will come out this year. I also use a PC, and mine is a state-of-the-art gaming machine, fully loaded with $4k of the fastest and best everything available, and W10. The cell phone is not capable of replacing the PC anyway, and new legislation is coming which will force limits on cell phone capabilities and end that dangerous trend.

I, too, notice various limits on this platform with different browsers, though, and these are even more pronounced given that this platform leans heavily (and mistakenly) towards cell phone browsers, which makes life more difficult for everyone unnecessarily, as the developers have lazily failed to provide more than barely adequate cross-browser functionality. This is why so many of this app's functions are riddled with malfunctions on all of them. I've seen most of the same things you list happening in all of them. Edge remains the #1 most used, and best browser, far superior to all others, until the new version comes out. IE is almost unusable anymore, and the other browsers simply don't have full function capability.

So far, I don't see that troublesome ad anymore, and the site seems to be running smoothly once again, so someone must have dome something. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke too soon. It's still happening on some pages.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My main system is a Macintosh. I don't run any ad blockers, although I do use Avast Security. I use Chrome as my main browser.

The right 1/3 or so of the browser window are ads, although a couple towards the top of the page are status messages about the site (About this Discussion and Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums).

While writing this message I wondered what happens if I narrow the browser window. At first, just the message thread narrows, but at a certain point the ads disappear and I only see the messages like this one. That happens when the browser is it about 1/2 the width of my monitor. And there's no scroll bar at the bottom of the window to scroll side-to-side, but there is a scroll bar on the right side to scroll up and down.

Edit: My display size is 1920 x 1080.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
I normally use Edge, and hold IE in reserve. I don't use Chrome or any of the other minimal or open-source browsers. Chrome is going away anyway, as it is currently being merged with Edge to form a new browser that will come out this year.
Facts are important. Chrome is not going anywhere, nor is Edge. Microsoft is however using the public sourced Chromium engine (which is the core Chrome is built on) to replace it's existing rendering engine in Edge. Microsoft is doing this because Edge has fallen far behind it's competition and must either adapt or it will continue to lose market share with users. Basically... Microsoft is giving up and going with open source components for it's Edge browser rather then trying to stay proprietary. Par for the course with Microsoft in my opinion. Microsoft also wants to penetrate the MAC user community with Edge (for better developer support as most web developers work on MAC platforms). https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/6/18128648/microsoft-edge-chrome-chromium-browser-changes

As for the issue you are experiencing.... I use Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) for PC, and have had no issues with the site at all.... and certainly not with the various ads.

If you want to help the admins localize the issue... give them your platform (ie: PC, iOS, Android), OS version (for Windows 10, tell them the build level number) and the browser you are using and it's version level. Hardware information does not matter. I would also provide them with some specific information on the Ad in question if you can.

Keep in mind it could be the actual Ad itself.. and not the site per se, hence the admins may not be able to do anything about it. Some Ads do contain bugs, glitches, and malware in them, and some simply do not render well on some browsers/versions ... and it could be Edge is reacting badly to this in some way. Also.. the adds appear to be targeted, based on tracking data about you.. which is common these days. So the Ad giving you fits.. others of us may not be seeing at all. And Edge does some funny things in my experience, depending on how you have settings set and what plug-ins are installed (whether you actually use said plug-ins or not).

Note: I am not surprised if you are seeing issues with Edge... as in my experience it is the least stable of all the available browsers for PCs, which is why Microsoft is resorting to a complete rewrite using open source components... before users abandon it completely. Still.. the more info you give the admins, the better they are able to locate and correct an issue.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Chrome updates itself unless you manually set it not to. Just opening and closing takes care of it. Microsoft sends updates middle of the Month, but will send (push) when needed. Because of this Thread I tried Edge and IE Yesterday and last night. Edge is quicker than IE (for me) but still doesn't work as well as Chrome. With Edge and IE some of the functions-hyper links of the site are not fully visible, although they do launch if you hover over their location and give a click. IE seems to "fight" with anti-virus, at least the main players, McAfee and Norton. Just becomes a bother over time. Chrome works better, and plays better with anti-virus. At least on my "home" PC's over the years. Clear your cookies & temp files in IE. In Chrome do a clean up. settings - advanced - reset and clean up - clean up computer. Edge, settings - history - clear. RAM used to be a culprit, but today's machines have an unbelievable amount of temp and permanent storage. Just need a right processor. Horse for the course.

·
Administrator
513 Posts
Hey there,

for those of you using IE/Edge as your primary browser, can you send us a screen shot of what it looks like on your end. We do understand that some icons don't look the way it should like on Chrome/Firefox/Safari so that has been reported but this is the first time I've heard of the ads causing issues on this new platform.
Can you take a screenshot of the offending ad?

Lee

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Facts are important. Chrome is not going anywhere, nor is Edge. Microsoft is however using the public sourced Chromium engine (which is the core Chrome is built on) to replace it's existing rendering engine in Edge. Microsoft is doing this because Edge has fallen far behind it's competition and must either adapt or it will continue to lose market share with users. Basically... Microsoft is giving up and going with open source components for it's Edge browser rather then trying to stay proprietary. Par for the course with Microsoft in my opinion. Microsoft also wants to penetrate the MAC user community with Edge (for better developer support as most web developers work on MAC platforms). https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/6/18128648/microsoft-edge-chrome-chromium-browser-changes

As for the issue you are experiencing.... I use Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) for PC, and have had no issues with the site at all.... and certainly not with the various ads.

If you want to help the admins localize the issue... give them your platform (ie: PC, iOS, Android), OS version (for Windows 10, tell them the build level number) and the browser you are using and it's version level. Hardware information does not matter. I would also provide them with some specific information on the Ad in question if you can.

Keep in mind it could be the actual Ad itself.. and not the site per se, hence the admins may not be able to do anything about it. Some Ads do contain bugs, glitches, and malware in them, and some simply do not render well on some browsers/versions ... and it could be Edge is reacting badly to this in some way. Also.. the adds appear to be targeted, based on tracking data about you.. which is common these days. So the Ad giving you fits.. others of us may not be seeing at all. And Edge does some funny things in my experience, depending on how you have settings set and what plug-ins are installed (whether you actually use said plug-ins or not).

Note: I am not surprised if you are seeing issues with Edge... as in my experience it is the least stable of all the available browsers for PCs, which is why Microsoft is resorting to a complete rewrite using open source components... before users abandon it completely. Still.. the more info you give the admins, the better they are able to locate and correct an issue.
This ad is the only one I've had any issue with. As I stated earlier (you must have missed it) I'm running the latest, most current build of W10 and Edge. Also, last time I looked, while Edge is slightly buggy, it is still by far the most used browser, way more so than any of the mini-browsers, because it has the closest thing to a full set of functions. The reason they are revamping it is to capture that audience you mentioned, not because anything about it is less capable. The only advantage the other browsers have over it is that they are smaller, but in my experience they all have reduced functionality and are not faster or better in any way. Also, it is most certainly not true that most developers work on the Mac platform. In fact that is not even true for graphics any more.

On the ad - yes, I already stated that the bug was in the ad. Can't capture it. When it loads, the page freezes. When it fails to load, there is blank space. I did describe it, and stated that when it runs, it does so in two places in the right hand column.

The reason this application does not load correctly in any browser has nothing to do with the browsers. It's because the developers have simply failed to meet the standard of cross compatibility that used to be important. They just haven't bothered to go to the trouble to write the code, because they've chosen to focus on the cell phone platforms. That won't serve them well long term, for obvious reasons. That leaves PC users with an app that is visually unappealing, limited in function, and just lightweight/weak in every respect.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It's a beautiful site, very well structured and runs fast and flawlessly with an adblocker, regardless the platform. Why bother fighting windmills unless you think they are some hostile giants?

Reactions: AdminSupport

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a beautiful site, very well structured and runs fast and flawlessly with an adblocker, regardless the platform. Why bother fighting windmills unless you think they are some hostile giants?
The new app is faster and I'm sure more efficient, but it is horrifically ugly, graphically weak, and while it may display fine on a cell phone, which is what it appears to have been designed exclusively for, it is bleak looking on a 2560x1600 monitor, oversimplified, lacking much in the way of functionality, and just as buggy as the old application. Nonetheless, I'm sure it will be livable if the deployment team will return/activate the built-in functions they have not so far. I will continue to advocate for that. Meanwhile, I have no idea what your last sentence even means, as it makes no sense. But hey, it's your world, I'm just trying to live in it, however annoying that may be. And my ad blocker works just fine. The ad in question is seriously flawed and problematic.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The new app is faster and I'm sure more efficient, but it is horrifically ugly, graphically weak, and while it may display fine on a cell phone, which is what it appears to have been designed exclusively for, it is bleak looking on a 2560x1600 monitor, oversimplified, lacking much in the way of functionality, and just as buggy as the old application.
Come on, seriously, what's wrong with it?

Reactions: AdminSupport

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
The reason this application does not load correctly in any browser has nothing to do with the browsers. It's because the developers have simply failed to meet the standard of cross compatibility that used to be important. They just haven't bothered to go to the trouble to write the code, because they've chosen to focus on the cell phone platforms. That won't serve them well long term, for obvious reasons. That leaves PC users with an app that is visually unappealing, limited in function, and just lightweight/weak in every respect.
This is clearly incorrect, is pejorative toward the admins and developers who support them, and is a disservice to fellow forum members.

If what I quoted above was actually correct.. many members would be experiencing the issue as well. But the feedback has been counter to this proposed narrative of yours, and frankly I feel you owe an apology to the admin team of this site.

Just because you wish to prosecute your own version of facts, does not make them actually factual, nor does your approach endear other readers to trust things you write in the forum here. Some of your alleged "facts" have already been disproven.. and it brings into question everything you state here and in your other posts in this thread, encouraging other members to be skeptical of what you write... and that does not help anyone, including yourself.

The site is not perfect.. BUT as any of us who actually reads can see.. the admin staff are being responsive to feedback that is actionable and can make the site better. Your accusations and judgmental approach here is not helpful in my view.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
... Edge is slightly buggy, it is still by far the most used browser...
This says all people need to know right here.^^

The only place it is the most used browser, is in your house. I won't bother linking the easily found browser usage info, since you will just claim it's "fake news". But, here's a hint. (it's less than 5%).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello all,

We are working to release updates for IE and Edge, I believe some of the updates will be released this week.

Standby for updates.

Jeff M
Kloker,
Thanks for getting the above going. The worse you have done, and it's not that bad, is proven the old adage true; Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Peace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts