Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased my 2018 CRV at end of November (dilution fix supposedly already in place) and have since put about 3,500 miles on it. I LOVE the low speed Adaptive Cruise Control - especially in stop/go traffic and am getting used to the ACC quirks at highway speeds. This past weekend we drove 600 miles RT to Ohio and I noted the following:

1) Even at the closest following setting the ACC leaves a pretty large gap between the car in front. I realize this is likely necessary to give the system enough safety margin to apply brakes if needed. However, it can become annoying when you are in the passing lane trying to get around slower traffic and other cars start passing on the right and sliding in front of you. However, I soon realized that I can close that gap a bit when desired by simply using the accelerator to edge closer to the car in front. As soon as you touch the accelerator the cruise control set speed disappears from the display but reappears and cruise control reengages as soon as you let up the accelerator. Thankfully, the ACC does NOT immediately hit the brakes to increase the following distance after you stop accelerating - so it is a smooth process to close the gap and then return to full ACC.

2) Honda (and likely all car makers) have to come up with a way to keep the sensors clear of snow. It started snowing during the ride and before long the dashboard warnings came on telling me that the sensors were blocked and that pretty much all the modern features (ACC, LKAS, lane departure, emergency braking) were inoperable. This is a minor inconvenience for us, but the issue of blocked sensors will have to be completely addressed for driverless cars and (God forbid) pilotless air taxis to ever become a reality. Can you imagine your driverless car or air taxi losing its situational awareness at 60 MPH?!

3) With the sensors blocked by snow - even after we traveled past the snowy area and were back in clear air and dry pavement - I could NOT use cruise control. Yes, I know I could have exited the highway and cleared them all off - but who wants to add a premature roadstop and deal with frigid temps just to use cruise control? So, I really wish Honda allowed standard cruise control to be used without the ACC following radar. Of course they probably decided allowing that option would result in accidents for those who became used to ACC and didn't realize their car was in standard cruise control until it rear-ended the car in front. I guess we all suffer from systems being dumbed-down to protect the less aware drivers. :(

4) The rumors about the new CRVs having fragile windshields seem true. On this trip our windshield was chipped by what we believe was probably a piece of road salt. I've owned many cars and driven many miles and only had one cracked windshield and one chipped windshield. For this to happen so soon in the life of our CRV - with normal driving (this was not during the snowfall portion of the trip) - could just be bad luck but it could also reinforce the rumors that these windshields are a bit fragile. Fortunately, the chip was repairable (no cost via insurance) but is still visible.

5) SOME SIDE NOTES: Our CRV does warm up decently but I help it on really cold days by running it in "S" for a few miles to kick-up the revs. Oil level has risen just above the orange plastic dipstick piece - so oil dilution may be present but apparently not as bad (yet at least) as others have experienced. I bought the longest HondaCare warranty after hearing of the issue (after purchase) and am assuming the car may be shot prematurely from internal engine wear after the warranty expires. If so I'll sell it and buy a different brand (this is my 3rd Honda). But until then I'll likely change oil at 4k intervals and keep my fingers crossed.

Hope this info was useful and appreciate any insights others can provide!

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
3) With the sensors blocked by snow - even after we traveled past the snowy area and were back in clear air and dry pavement - I could NOT use cruise control. Yes, I know I could have exited the highway and cleared them all off - but who wants to add a premature roadstop and deal with frigid temps just to use cruise control? So, I really wish Honda allowed standard cruise control to be used without the ACC following radar.
According to the owners manual for my 2017 EX-L, you can turn on cruise without ACC by holding the "interval" button (~time to impact) for a second. The same can be used to turn on ACC again.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes! On thin glass!! Our local dealer is putting on a free protective film on the windshield. I think the dealer called it Clearplex but not sure..

·
Registered
962 Posts
4) The rumors about the new CRVs having fragile windshields seem true. On this trip our windshield was chipped by what we believe was probably a piece of road salt. I've owned many cars and driven many miles and only had one cracked windshield and one chipped windshield. For this to happen so soon in the life of our CRV - with normal driving (this was not during the snowfall portion of the trip) - could just be bad luck but it could also reinforce the rumors that these windshields are a bit fragile. Fortunately, the chip was repairable (no cost via insurance) but is still visible.
Only one cracked and one chipped windshield ever?

Consider yourself lucky!

Went through six in 54 K in my Element, on number seven in my '07 Ridgeline, replaced one in our '16 Pilot prior to (smacking a deer and) trading it on the '18 CR-V.

The CR-V took a good sized rock from a water truck on the highway in ND last summer, the new windshield is working well - fingers crossed.

That's 15 windshields in 15 years...plus lots of small 'chips' filled by the NOVUS system.

I do not believe the 'thickness' of the windshield in the CR-V is an issue

·
Registered
545 Posts
Only one cracked and one chipped windshield ever?

Consider yourself lucky!

Went through six in 54 K in my Element, on number seven in my '07 Ridgeline, replaced one in our '16 Pilot prior to (smacking a deer and) trading it on the '18 CR-V.

The CR-V took a good sized rock from a water truck on the highway in ND last summer, the new windshield is working well - fingers crossed.

That's 15 windshields in 15 years...plus lots of small 'chips' filled by the NOVUS system.

I do not believe the 'thickness' of the windshield in the CR-V is an issue
I'd say darned lucky..
God I don't recall how many rock chips and cracks I fixed on my Ford, VW, Mazda and Nissan vehicles when I lived in Houston..

At least three per vehicle... Some of them looked really bad before I used those $10 chip repair kits you can get at any auto parts store.

Rocks and debris happen..

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the owners manual for my 2017 EX-L, you can turn on cruise without ACC by holding the "interval" button (~time to impact) for a second. The same can be used to turn on ACC again.
Well I tried it on the drive home tonight and unfortunately it didn't work. Just to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong, I stopped, pulled out the thick manual (that is provided to new owners only if requested), found and followed the instructions you described - but still no luck. Perhaps the ability has been disabled with a later software release?

I'll ask the dealer but it's been my experience that they don't know the intricate details of newer systems like ACC.

Has anyone else been able to switch from ACC to standard cruise control?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well I tried it on the drive home tonight and unfortunately it didn't work. Just to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong, I stopped, pulled out the thick manual (that is provided to new owners only if requested), found and followed the instructions you described - but still no luck. Perhaps the ability has been disabled with a later software release?

I'll ask the dealer but it's been my experience that they don't know the intricate details of newer systems like ACC.

Has anyone else been able to switch from ACC to standard cruise control?
I have a 2018 Touring and can switch to standard cruise control no problem.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2018 Touring and can switch to standard cruise control no problem.
Hmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong. To switch from ACC to standard cruise control do you:

1) Have regular ACC on/engaged with a speed set and then you press/hold the following distance button?
OR
2) Turn on the ACC system by pressing the MAIN button (but don't set a speed) and then press and hold the following distance button (i.e. before you set a speed)?

I was trying method #1 but didn't think about method #2 until just now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong. To switch from ACC to standard cruise control do you:

1) Have regular ACC on/engaged with a speed set and then you press/hold the following distance button?
OR
2) Turn on the ACC system by pressing the MAIN button (but don't set a speed) and then press and hold the following distance button (i.e. before you set a speed)?

I was trying method #1 but didn't think about method #2 until just now.
You cannot switch while a speed has been set per 1) above. Only method 2) works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts