Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the constant nagging items for me since getting the CRV (apart from not being able to set the number of blinks when you flick the blinker) has been beeps you get when using the cruise control as the car locks in and out of another vehicle ahead. I'm still conditioned to panic and look for a problem on the dash when I hear a beep so to me the noise was either distracting or irritating enough to force me to try to ignore it.

Anyways, if anyone else is in the same boat - you can disable the beep by going to the home screen on the head unit, choose settings then vehicle. Under the ACC section you will see the option to turn off the beep. You will still get visual confirmation of a vehicle lock/unlock status on the dash but the car will not inundate you with beeps as you make your way through the highway.

Disclaimer - Obviously honda decided to enable this by default as a warning indicator so you'll need to decide for yourself if you'd prefer to have the audio warnings or not.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Interesting.
That beep was not enabled on my 2018 Touring.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
It was enabled when I received my 2017 Touring.

Personally, I leave it on.. as the beeps are designed to alert you that something around you has changed (usually a driver entering a lane next to you, but behind in your normal blind spot).

·
Registered
10 Posts
To take this a step further, can you disable the adaptive part of the cruise control in favor of the "old style" type of cruise control? I find that when I'm behind someone, the adaptive feature will keep me at a predetermined distance, but that in turn will slow you down and lull you into a slower speed than you intended. I find that I am constantly changing lanes when someone pulls in front of me so I don't have to fiddle with the cruise and keep a constant speed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To take this a step further, can you disable the adaptive part of the cruise control in favor of the "old style" type of cruise control? I find that when I'm behind someone, the adaptive feature will keep me at a predetermined distance, but that in turn will slow you down and lull you into a slower speed than you intended. I find that I am constantly changing lanes when someone pulls in front of me so I don't have to fiddle with the cruise and keep a constant speed.
Pushing and holding the distance button will switch between ACC and old fashion "Cruise Mode"

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Personally, I disabled the "ACC can't see a car" beep, while leaving on the LKAS beep. I did this because I generally know (by looking out the windshield) if there's something for ACC to lock on to, while I don't necessarily pay super-close attention to the quality of the stripes on the road.

If the car really wants you to know something due to a problem, it's a much angrier beep.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally, I disabled the "ACC can't see a car" beep, while leaving on the LKAS beep. I did this because I generally know (by looking out the windshield) if there's something for ACC to lock on to, while I don't necessarily pay super-close attention to the quality of the stripes on the road.

If the car really wants you to know something due to a problem, it's a much angrier beep.
I don't think I noticed a LKAS beep. When does it beep? I do wish it turned on automatically instead of having to press the button every time I get on the highway.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
Mine was off at the factory and some dolt at the dealer reset it....Way overdue to shut the thing off. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine was off at the factory and some dolt at the dealer reset it....Way overdue to shut the thing off. Thanks for the reminder!
I've found different years to have different defaults set in the vehicle settings - might be that dealers are setting the defaults differently but I can't imagine they'd want to take on the responsibility on changing safety options.

I do know that on a couple of test drives we went through and changed/played with lots of settings in the vehicle section and I doubt the dealer would go back and reset everything to factory defaults afterwards. Whoever bought that car is probably trying to figure out why honda took away the tachometer on Gen V.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
That's weird. I have a 2018 EX and get no beeps from the LKAS when it goes below 45 or stops detecting the lane. I wonder if it's different on other years or trims.
I don't recall beeps from LKAS either, unless the car is actually drifting out of the lane in spite of trying to keep in the lane, in which case the CRV is alerting the driver with warning flashes on the instrument panel, wobbling the steering wheel, and beeping if it feels ignored. Admittedly, I don't like LKAS as it tends to wander around in the lane some so maybe it does beep more then I remember. Maybe it beeps when it detects the driver is too passive on the steering wheel.

ACC on the other hand.. loves to beep for all manner of traffic changes around you. Again... I'd rather have it beep to keep me mindful something changed (leading me to check mirrors and in front of me on both sides), rather then surprising me with an active intervention if I stray into something I did not know was there. But owners can turn the beep off if they don't like it.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ACC on the other hand.. loves to beep for all manner of traffic changes around you. Again... I'd rather have it beep to keep me mindful something changed (leading me to check mirrors and in front of me on both sides), rather then surprising me with an active intervention if I stray into something I did not know was there. But owners can turn the beep off if they don't like it.
I agree that it's very much a personal preference and I appreciate the balancing act Honda and others have to go through when trying to implement safety features that may not work all the time. I supposed the way I personally would have preferred is if the beeps were consistent with the rest of the system and indicated when honda sensing was no longer in control. i.e. I would consider getting a lock on a vehicle up ahead as a normal and expected feature of ACC where as losing a lock would require a driver to be mindful and not expect the vehicle to slow down. To me a reminder that the system is working as expected diminishes the impact of the notification when it is no longer in control.

It is unfortunate that Honda decided not to put a HUD (a real one not the cheap plastic varieties) in gen V as I think the status of the various honda sensing components would be far more effective if available in your sight vs. the need to constantly remind the driver to look down at the dash and try to interpret the beep to the current status while not watching the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts