Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the adaptive cruise control on the Long Island Expressway (aka LIE) yesterday back and forth about 60 miles. I have to say I was pretty impressed. The driving conditions ranged from congested to open highway, and this worked pretty flawlessly. There were a couple of occasions where it took me down to 0 - dead stop - and resumed, when it had to.

I was actively monitoring everything, of course, but the car essentially drove itself home for an hour with me just steering, as the system was making changes to speed and braking as necessary to keep distance.

It was finding the sweet spot on what speed to set it for to keep up with traffic flow and yet not being a speed leader that mattered most, but it was very simple to add/subtract one mph from the thumb wheel on the steering wheel. I just turned it off when I got off the highway and into my neighborhood. Good times.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yes, for a first effort, it works pretty well. Kudos to Honda for being a leader in rolling out reasonably priced advanced tech safety devices in mainstream vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 LX-AWD
72 Posts
That's good to know.
I've always wondered about this:
Since ACC has the ability to brake the car, I guess (I hope!) it will also turn on the brake lights when it brakes, will it?
Can someone confirm this?

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's good to know.
I've always wondered about this:
Since ACC has the ability to brake the car, I guess (I hope!) it will also turn on the brake lights when it brakes, will it?
Can someone confirm this?
Confirmed. Like you're saying it would be incredibly dangerous if it didn't.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can confirm I lowered my blood pressure after arriving home from daily "gridlock" traffic using AAC and lanekeeping. The CRV is AMAZING on the soul.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
Confirmed. Like you're saying it would be incredibly dangerous if it didn't.
I wish there was an indication of when the brakes are applied vs when engine braking or just backing off the throttle is sufficient for moderate speed changes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wish there was an indication of when the brakes are applied vs when engine braking or just backing off the throttle is sufficient for moderate speed changes.
Why?

Engine braking will never really happen in the CR-V unless you tell it to, via shifting to S or L. And if you really want to know, you can feel the brake pedal move when it applies the brakes (if you lightly touch your foot against it without putting any pressure).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Why?

Engine braking will never really happen in the CR-V unless you tell it to, via shifting to S or L. And if you really want to know, you can feel the brake pedal move when it applies the brakes (if you lightly touch your foot against it without putting any pressure).
Engine braking happens all the time in either ACC or regular cruise control modes. And in those cases touching the brake disables them.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You could try keeping an eye on your brake lights during night time drives.

The dashboard info will tell you when it's coasting (max instantaneous MPG with a slowing MPH), or engine braking (RPMs increase 50 to 100RPM and shortly thereafter you feel deceleration with quicker falling MPH). It all happens around your set speed so you can anticipate when each is about to happen.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
I'm more interested when in the low-speed-follow regime. I like the assurance that the car is always paying attention to spacing/timing to the vehicle ahead. However, if it's cycling between applying the brakes followed by acceleration as traffic ebbs and flows, I'd flick it off and smooth out the ride. A friend refers to his wife as a "pedal pusher" as her foot is either on the brake or throttle. I'd rather not do that, nor have the car do it either.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, for a first effort, it works pretty well. Kudos to Honda for being a leader in rolling out reasonably priced advanced tech safety devices in mainstream vehicles.
Honda's a little late to the game. Mazda has been providing it on their vehicles since 2014. My 16 CX-5 (purchased Apr 2015) has it as well as blind spot and cross traffic monitoring.

Oh, I chose Mazda over Honda in 2015 because of the vibration issues.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Honda's a little late to the game. Mazda has been providing it on their vehicles since 2014. My 16 CX-5 (purchased Apr 2015) has it as well as blind spot and cross traffic monitoring.
They should be commended for offering it. On the other hand, the last time I checked, I thought Mazda only offered it on the most expensive trim.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Not to be a smart @ss but its pretty easy to tell when it applies the brakes! Just do this, drive down the read at say 45 or so and take your foot off the gas. Note the deceleration rate. Now, do the same speed and this time apply the brakes, remember how the car felt. (of course I am kidding....I think everyone knows this stuff).

Anyway, I have zero trouble knowing when its applying the brakes! And yes, the brake lights come on any time the vehicle applies the brakes. Can you spell L-A-W-Y-E-R-S.
;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
They should be commended for offering it. On the other hand, the last time I checked, I thought Mazda only offered it on the most expensive trim.
Don't think it's offered on the base model but all the safety tech minus adaptive cruise is available on the mid level (you can add the tech package) which includes the LED headlights, adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights, wipers, etc. Think HUD is now standard on all except base model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts