Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, yesterday I picked up my vehicle. Nice.

I turned on Adaptive Cruise and the car followed the car in front of me and slowed to a stop at the intersection. Nice. The brakes were applied at a nice rate. Then, with my foot off the brake and gas the light turned green and the car in front of me took off. My car, with my foot on the ground, took off after it. Nice! I was thrilled--didn't know it could do that. It followed in adaptive cruise mode and did it again at the next traffic light.

Today I pick up friends in the CRV and tell them my foot is off the brake as we approach an intersection. The car comes to a nice stop behind the vehicle in front of us. Then the light turns green and that car takes off. My CRV stays put. WTF??? My friends laughed. :(

I just read the owner's manual and it says that to go again after a stop you have to press "resume." Why did my CRV take off after another car when the light turned green yesterday but not today?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The system has about a two-second delay when you come to a stop before it 'disables' itself. This allows the vehicle to generally keep going without driver intervention in stop-and-go traffic. Also, when I say 'disables' itself, it is still set up and operating, but you must either tap the gas pedal or hit the resume button to fully re-eanble the system and start moving again. You should see a message, the word "Stopped", underneath the ACC icon in the display. That indicates that you'll have to take action before moving again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it is likely that my stops at the lights were brief enough that the CRV started going on its own again? I like that.

I feel this low speed follow with adaptive cruise control is an amazing feature. I have neuropathy in my right leg/foot and this promises to make driving fun again (my apologies to Mr. Trump). This will aide thousands of drivers who have foot drop or other health issues (like planter fasciitis). I am also finding use for the electric hand brake, which also frees up that right foot if I arrive first at an intersection.

·
Super Moderator
3,196 Posts
From experience, take your time to use all the features and learn how the system reacts to different road and weather conditions and scenarios.
My first experience with these systems was three years ago overseas in a Volvo. Once understood they are fantastic driver assist/support systems.
Don't get distracted.
Just in case!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I am also finding use for the electric hand brake, which also frees up that right foot if I arrive first at an intersection.
My question on the brake hold system, do the brake lights stay on when you are stopped at the intersection and remove your foot from the brake pedal? Just concerned about someone rear-ending me at a stop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes--I tried this and my wife went to look at the brake lights. They were on.

My question on the brake hold system, do the brake lights stay on when you are stopped at the intersection and remove your foot from the brake pedal? Just concerned about someone rear-ending me at a stop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After reading this thread I decided to try the cruise on a road with multiple stop lights and speed limit of 55. I was amazed! Brought me to a complete stop at stop lights and just a press of RESUME to start back up once stopped. Amazing - we are really getting closer to self driving cars!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's remarkable how well this system follows the car in front of you, how it slows down and stops at a smooth and reasonable rate, and, how nicely is starts up again after you press resume. I could not do it better "manually."

The exception is if you switch lanes. You are better off pressing cancel until you are fully in that lane and then press resume. Especially if you switch lanes when coming up to an intersection with the adaptive cruise engaged. Not good!!!

After reading this thread I decided to try the cruise on a road with multiple stop lights and speed limit of 55. I was amazed! Brought me to a complete stop at stop lights and just a press of RESUME to start back up once stopped. Amazing - we are really getting closer to self driving cars!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, it's an amazing system and quite fun to use. I utilize it as much as possible and always when on the freeway with heavy traffic. It makes going into downtown Chicago much more bearable. One other thing that it helps me with is the frustration I feel when following a slow driver. The ACC maintains the proper distance and just slows the vehicle to match the slow driver's speed and I'm not constantly grumbling and wanting to hurry them up so much.

There are a couple of situations that I've found it to not be reliable in. On curvy, very twisty roads, it will lose track of the vehicle in front, so you have to keep an eye on it. I usually just disable it on these types of twisty roads and re-enable it when back to the straightaways. Also, if you're cruising along with no one in front of you, but you come up on a car stopped for a light, it doesn't seem to start braking soon enough for me and I get nervous and start braking myself. This is one area where I think that it could be improved significantly.

The other area where it is a little dicey is when someone in your lane decides to turn left or right. They must be well clear of the lane before the ACC stops braking the car. As drivers, we normally account for the turning vehicle's speed and calculate that it will be out of the way by the time we reach that position. I would assume that the ACC being primarily a forward-looking system, is only working to ensure that it has a completely clear lane ahead of it to travel in, so it continues braking until the turning car is out of its 'view'.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, it's an amazing system and quite fun to use. I utilize it as much as possible and always when on the freeway with heavy traffic. It makes going into downtown Chicago much more bearable. One other thing that it helps me with is the frustration I feel when following a slow driver. The ACC maintains the proper distance and just slows the vehicle to match the slow driver's speed and I'm not constantly grumbling and wanting to hurry them up so much.

There are a couple of situations that I've found it to not be reliable in. On curvy, very twisty roads, it will lose track of the vehicle in front, so you have to keep an eye on it. I usually just disable it on these types of twisty roads and re-enable it when back to the straightaways. Also, if you're cruising along with no one in front of you, but you come up on a car stopped for a light, it doesn't seem to start braking soon enough for me and I get nervous and start braking myself. This is one area where I think that it could be improved significantly.

The other area where it is a little dicey is when someone in your lane decides to turn left or right. They must be well clear of the lane before the ACC stops braking the car. As drivers, we normally account for the turning vehicle's speed and calculate that it will be out of the way by the time we reach that position. I would assume that the ACC being primarily a forward-looking system, is only working to ensure that it has a completely clear lane ahead of it to travel in, so it continues braking until the turning car is out of its 'view'.
I agree on all these points. The system works fairly well but not nearly enough to fully trust. It takes too long to detect the car in front of you if that car is out of its range and stopped. After considering a Tesla and doing an overnight test drive of it, that is a system you can trust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can someone define the "Low-speed" in Low-Speed Follow?
Low-Speed is <25mph. In previous versions of the Adaptive Cruise Control system, I believe it would only work at speeds above 25mph. ACC with Low Speed Follow, means it can handle stop and go traffic as well as standard highway ACC, but it's kind of a separate mode.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree on all these points. The system works fairly well but not nearly enough to fully trust. It takes too long to detect the car in front of you if that car is out of its range and stopped. After considering a Tesla and doing an overnight test drive of it, that is a system you can trust.
Whoa! I have to agree that the Tesla system is far more capable, but let's face it. You can buy multiple CR-V Tourings for the price of one Tesla! The technology in the Tesla is beyond anything else currently on the road. I'm very impressed with it - though I still wouldn't own one unless I had so much discretionary spend that I could just drop that kind of dough as an "extra" car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Whoa! I have to agree that the Tesla system is far more capable, but let's face it. You can buy multiple CR-V Tourings for the price of one Tesla! The technology in the Tesla is beyond anything else currently on the road. I'm very impressed with it - though I still wouldn't own one unless I had so much discretionary spend that I could just drop that kind of dough as an "extra" car.
Currently too expensive, yes. But for roughly the same price I just paid for my CR-V, my wife will be getting the Model 3. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts