Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can NOT believe that, along with NO garage door opener transmitter built in (our older Hondas, all had it)...but we have the "clicker" that came with the auto garage door opener/closer system.

I found out a few MONTHS after buying it, when I tried to get HD radio stations set up, that it was NOT there and is only on the higher level CR-Vs of this year. I have Pandora (whatEVER!) and other stuff that I don't use and NO HD radio? It's NOT new technology.

Is it true that I can buy part 39800-TLA-A11 (a tuner device) and replace the one in the car, and it will make the whole display system STILL have EACH and EVERY feature for the Audio and the HVAC, too?

I have NO problem working on such things, but I do NOT want to spend $200 for HD radio, then find out that the above part made changes to existing functionality of the "head" that has the touch-screen, et al on it.

So, someone help me out, here!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I've owned three CR-Vs, a 1999 EX, a 2006 EX, and now a 2014 EX.
None of them had built in garage door openers (aka Homelink).

Checking some information online, Homelink came in the 2018 EX-L and Touring models.
And HD radio also came in the 2018 EX-L and Touring models.

So Honda did offer the options you wanted in the CR-V, but in higher trim levels than your EX.

I have no answer for the plug-and-play capability of an EX-L or Touring system in your EX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've owned three CR-Vs, a 1999 EX, a 2006 EX, and now a 2014 EX.
None of them had built in garage door openers (aka Homelink).

Checking some information online, Homelink came in the 2018 EX-L and Touring models.
And HD radio also came in the 2018 EX-L and Touring models.

So Honda did offer the options you wanted in the CR-V, but in higher trim levels than your EX.

I have no answer for the plug-and-play capability of an EX-L or Touring system in your EX.
Thanks ... just LIKE the lack of a built-in garage door control (which we discovered AFTER alllll the papers were signed and the salesman was showing us how to set the many warning lights and sounds) was, well, the same thing to me as finding out that the car didn't come with AntiLock brakes. It's NOT new technology. I'm a smarter consumer now, I guess.

Once again, thanks for replying!

Tom

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,703 Posts
Thanks ... just LIKE the lack of a built-in garage door control (which we discovered AFTER alllll the papers were signed and the salesman was showing us how to set the many warning lights and sounds) was, well, the same thing to me as finding out that the car didn't come with AntiLock brakes. It's NOT new technology. I'm a smarter consumer now, I guess.

Once again, thanks for replying!

Tom
How is items not included anyone elses fault but yours for not checking it?
You're supposed to research BEFORE you buy not after it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know about the HD tuner (I listen to XM) but the Homelink system (no matter what brand it's in) is pretty much the same. The controls are self contained and just need power and ground. I theory, you could take a Homelink control out of an early 2000s Cadillac and put it in your CR-V. To make it look factory, you'd need the Honda control unit and the overhead console cover.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
165 Posts
While absolutely correct, HD Radio is Not new technology, it being included or not seems to be more to do with demand. HD-R hasn't really caught on, some claim it's dead, others not so much.

It seems more popular now, many on this forum want it. I wanted it also. And added an after market module for it to my 2014 crv. But it doesn't 'interface' with my oem nav / radio, it has a separate little lcd display to adjust channels etc.

This is a link to my install write up: https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/2014-w-nav-ex-l-add-hd-radio.199572/

I'd suggest be sure you have a good idea of what HD-R will do for you, of course, before the expense / trouble. It does sound better, but the HD-R stations available in areas will vary. For me, it was a big plus. I get much better reception of NPR (which is about all I listen to). NPR also broadcasts on the HD-2 channel (and 3 for world news) which is 'smooth jazz' no commercials. I wouldn't be without it now, even if just for the better reception.

The link above also cites a link to determine hd-r broadcasts in your area.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,567 Posts
I can NOT believe that, along with NO garage door opener transmitter built in (our older Hondas, all had it)...but we have the "clicker" that came with the auto garage door opener/closer system.

I found out a few MONTHS after buying it, when I tried to get HD radio stations set up, that it was NOT there and is only on the higher level CR-Vs of this year. I have Pandora (whatEVER!) and other stuff that I don't use and NO HD radio? It's NOT new technology.

Is it true that I can buy part 39800-TLA-A11 (a tuner device) and replace the one in the car, and it will make the whole display system STILL have EACH and EVERY feature for the Audio and the HVAC, too?

I have NO problem working on such things, but I do NOT want to spend $200 for HD radio, then find out that the above part made changes to existing functionality of the "head" that has the touch-screen, et al on it.

So, someone help me out, here!
Yes, the EX and EXL that don't have HD radio can be upgraded to HD by replacing the 39800-TLA-A01 tuner with the 39800-TLA-A11 tuner. LX models can't be upgraded. EXLs with navagation and Tourings already come with the HD radio tuners.

All new US vehicles since Sept. 2013 have ABS, it's the law.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.