Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to buy an EX and one of the features from the higher trim levels I would like to have is the power lift gate. Is this something the dealer could install?

·
Registered
140 Posts
No. it's not a simple add on and would take some serious modification. Our previous generation had it and at first I thought it was a dumb idea. Once I got used to it it's actually a very useful feature. Our current CR-V has the kick to open and that has been very handy when bringing packages/supplies to the vehicle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bringing this back to life.
I'll attempt to do this sometime soon. Will need to purchase all parts.
I'm seeing a few kits on ebay for $550+ and installation seems straight forward.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It's available when you talk with your Finance/ last person located in a accessory book. so I suggest walking in to his office and looking b4 you start dealing.....

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Good luck... it does look a little more involved than "Plug and Play", and the user manual is made for a consumer and doesn't contain install instructions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I finished my installation on my LX... But haven't finished cleaning up all the wires yet. I also have yet to install the kick to open sensor.

It's doable to install yourself but man is it a bitch. The wiring is extremely hard to access since I needed to splice a 12v cable. The rest is plug and play. You just replace the plugs with the one from the kit. The headunit is a nightmare to disconnect unless u have small hands.

It opens fairly fast (there are 2 speed settings). There is a beep beep beep when the door opens and closes but it was annoying so I disconnected the buzzer. U pretty much have to take off all the panels in the trunk and the taillights off to run the wires.

I will try to take a video of the kick to open later. I posted pics of the manual if anyone wants... They do not have a pdf version yet

https://youtu.be/Km8m30R2o7A

http://imgur.com/sBeoC7V

http://imgur.com/x4D9GBE

http://imgur.com/qWLLg0d

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I luv my power list gate... was a requirement for purchase of CRV.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I luv my power list gate... was a requirement for purchase of CRV.
Same here! IMO, if you know that's a feature you want, then buy the trim that includes it. For me, it's too much of a hassle to source parts and do the installation (especially for something like the power lift gate). Plus, it's covered under warranty if something goes awry. But hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Same here! IMO, if you know that's a feature you want, then buy the trim that includes it. For me, it's too much of a hassle to source parts and do the installation (especially for something like the power lift gate). Plus, it's covered under warranty if something goes awry. But hey, that's just me.
People should think hard before taking on this job at home. If you are an experienced car technician with lots of time working on interiors then you can do it. For Joe Average....LOL! Get ready to curse a lot and break a lot of interior parts in your new car. This is NOT a simple job. But, its your car and you can hack it up if you like.

I just got the Touring model and got it all. I love the lift gate, the LED headlights, etc. and love that I didn't have to do any of the work to put it in and its covered by Honda should anything go amiss.

·
Registered
146 Posts
People should think hard before taking on this job at home. If you are an experienced car technician with lots of time working on interiors then you can do it. For Joe Average....LOL! Get ready to curse a lot and break a lot of interior parts in your new car. This is NOT a simple job. But, its your car and you can hack it up if you like.

I just got the Touring model and got it all. I love the lift gate, the LED headlights, etc. and love that I didn't have to do any of the work to put it in and its covered by Honda should anything go amiss.
Well said! I also decided to get the Touring model. Has it all (and then some!). IMG_0196.jpg

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well said! I also decided to get the Touring model. Has it all (and then some!).
I agree with the Touring trim.

The Wife and I had decided on an EX-L.

The only CR-V with the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ is the Touring trim due to the headlights.

I thought about it for a few days and knew I would be disappointed with any trim level other than the Touring...

My Wife was not 100% sure but after having lunch with her good friend, who has a new Civic Touring and loves it, she came on board.

I have used the 'kick open' tailgate several times already and know that we made the correct decision.

Have not driven in the dark to use the headlights yet. The last time I was driving at night another driver and I played ping-pong with a deer -- another reason I wanted the better headlights...

Best of luck to the OP with his/her tailgate.

·
Registered
199 Posts

If you're an idiot, you'll hack anything you touch. If you take your time and follow directions, it's not that bad.
People like you are the reason why dealerships and car shops charge $500 for installation.
Some people even pay to change the bulbs. Dealers and shops love to charge $50 to change low beam bulbs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, i found one that works just like the factory one. I installed it on mine. I got it from TruckEnhance .com . The best part it comes with a foot sensor to allow you to open the tail gate with you feet! So actually better than the dealer one!...lol. The wife loves it! Works great for those of you that wants one. It took me about 3 hours to do the installation, it's pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you install this?
Hey, i found one that works just like the factory one. I installed it on mine. I got it from TruckEnhance .com . The best part it comes with a foot sensor to allow you to open the tail gate with you feet! So actually better than the dealer one!...lol. The wife loves it! Works great for those of you that wants one. It took me about 3 hours to do the installation, it's pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Good work, thanks for sharing. Looks like it has good OEM fit.

Fwiw, the OEM gate does have a foot sensor, I think on all trims with it pre installed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts