Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 CRV and will be doing a lot of highway driving this summer. I normally use regular but should I use premium gas now and then?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,729 Posts
I have a 2005 CRV and will be doing a lot of highway driving this summer. I normally use regular but should I use premium gas now and then?
I'd just use what the manufacturer suggests.
Premium won't hurt, but it's unlikely to help anything.
If you DO notice a performance increase with premium fuel it might indicate carbon buildup leading to higher compression than normal.
But that would be unusual. Modern engines can adapt to most fuels without knocking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd just use what the manufacturer suggests.
Premium won't hurt, but it's unlikely to help anything.
If you DO notice a performance increase with premium fuel it might indicate carbon buildup leading to higher compression than normal.
But that would be unusual. Modern engines can adapt to most fuels without knocking.
Thank you very much for your expert response. Everything is running well so I'll just keep using regular. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
What we used to do is on a Long trip throw one tank in, what we used to do is Mix it as well. Will not harm the car, may improve the ride. the times I used to do it was when they offered Super for the same as regular.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No. Stick with with what the manufacturer suggests. The engine CPU will compensate the difference in compression and adjust if using premium fuel. But don't use regularly.
Changing the oil regularly or more frequently would be more beneficial than premium gas in my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. Stick with with what the manufacturer suggests. The engine CPU will compensate the difference in compression and adjust if using premium fuel. But don't use regularly.
Changing the oil regularly or more frequently would be more beneficial than premium gas in my opinion.
Thank you for responding. I'm always a hair early on oil changes and as you and others suggest will stick with regular gas.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If the price isn't to great I go with once in long while Premium but the most part is to take on highway do some high speed passing to blow out the carbon build up. But if your constant highway driving then carbon shouldn't be built up if your only doing stop/go city driving. That is where the worst case carbon needs Premium gas to blow it out. This isn't to advise to High Speed driving that is not advised and Dangerous to you and everyone around you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the price isn't to great I go with once in long while Premium but the most part is to take on highway do some high speed passing to blow out the carbon build up. But if your constant highway driving then carbon shouldn't be built up if your only doing stop/go city driving. That is where the worst case carbon needs Premium gas to blow it out. This isn't to advise to High Speed driving that is not advised and Dangerous to you and everyone around you.
Good tip thanks. I live in in the country so outside of the 1.5 mile drive to the blacktop it's all highway driving.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
276 Posts
With your port-injected engine, you would still benefit from the consistent use of Toptier fuel. If you really feel pro-active, a bottle of Tecron before each oil change. With Toptier, paying extra for 93 is a waste as all grades of Toptier brands have the upgraded additive/detergent package.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With your port-injected engine, you would still benefit from the consistent use of Toptier fuel. If you really feel pro-active, a bottle of Tecron before each oil change. With Toptier, paying extra for 93 is a waste as all grades of Toptier brands have the upgraded additive/detergent package.
Thanks for responding. That's interesting and I'll check it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Switching to premium for an engine designed for regular offers no benefit. If you want to see if their is a any difference in fuel, try a tank of ethanol-free. May be a performance gain almost certainly a mileage gain. I am getting ready for a long trip and plan on using a tank or two to see if there is any appreciable difference. Too expensive to burn all the time.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Is your car old?
Is it knocking?
As one says high Octain: Engines with high compression ratios or turbochargers often require high octane fuel found in premium gas for optimal performance and fuel efficiency. However, the majority of cars on the road today are optimized to run on regular gas.

in hi and reg octain: The detergent additives in your gasoline are far more important than the octane level, as they help clean your engine and optimize performance. Each retailer offers a different blend of additives, used across all grades. For example, you can find Chevron’s Techron in both their regular and premium gas. When it comes to additives, some hold themselves to a higher standard. BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Audi helped create the Top Tier Gasoline standard, which mandates a higher-percentage of detergent additive than EPA minimum requirements. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive can leave more deposits on engine components, including fuel injectors and intake valves. This, in turn, can lower engine performance and increase emissions.

All this info is at your fingertips, if you feel you want to go with a spacific brand, octain etc, its all up to you

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Switching to premium for an engine designed for regular offers no benefit. If you want to see if their is a any difference in fuel, try a tank of ethanol-free. May be a performance gain almost certainly a mileage gain. I am getting ready for a long trip and plan on using a tank or two to see if there is any appreciable difference. Too expensive to burn all the time.
Thanks for your insight. Safe travels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is your car old?
Is it knocking?
As one says high Octain: Engines with high compression ratios or turbochargers often require high octane fuel found in premium gas for optimal performance and fuel efficiency. However, the majority of cars on the road today are optimized to run on regular gas.

in hi and reg octain: The detergent additives in your gasoline are far more important than the octane level, as they help clean your engine and optimize performance. Each retailer offers a different blend of additives, used across all grades. For example, you can find Chevron’s Techron in both their regular and premium gas. When it comes to additives, some hold themselves to a higher standard. BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Audi helped create the Top Tier Gasoline standard, which mandates a higher-percentage of detergent additive than EPA minimum requirements. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive can leave more deposits on engine components, including fuel injectors and intake valves. This, in turn, can lower engine performance and increase emissions.

All this info is at your fingertips, if you feel you want to go with a spacific brand, octain etc, its all up to you
Thanks. Good food for thought. I have an 05 CRV and no engine knock and all well serviced so I think I'll stick with the regular and keep on CRVin.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Is your car old?
Is it knocking?

Did someone hijack your account? This is totally legible. ;)

OP, I think you got the point. Using anything higher than what's recommended is just throwing money out the window in a CR-V.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Reactions: Captain Pete
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.