Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Honda VTEC engines (especially the new Earth Dreams) operate on 87 or higher, so no... premium fuel will not harm it all all. In fact, if you use it consistently, the PCM will adapt and 'self tune'. Fuels like Shell V-Power also offer friction protection and anti-wear protection for the cylinder walls and pistons. While this may not increase power that much, it won't hurt anything... except for maybe your wallet... but your mileage could also improve. You could also use the mid-grade -- which is just a mixture of regular and premium (mixed at the pump). My wife and I use Shell Plus for the 2012 and V-Power for the 2016 (Earth Dreams).

Reactions: Captain Pete

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Honda VTEC engines (especially the new Earth Dreams) operate on 87 or higher, so no... premium fuel will not harm it all all. In fact, if you use it consistently, the PCM will adapt and 'self tune'. Fuels like Shell V-Power also offer friction protection and anti-wear protection for the cylinder walls and pistons. While this may not increase power that much, it won't hurt anything... except for maybe your wallet... but your mileage could also improve. You could also use the mid-grade -- which is just a mixture of regular and premium (mixed at the pump). My wife and I use Shell Plus for the 2012 and V-Power for the 2016 (Earth Dreams).
Thanks. I've also been told to look at a Chevron detergent fuel. All runs good but you can never get enough good advice from fellow CRV owners.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
276 Posts
When I had my 2019 Civic Touring Coupe, As I typically use Shell, I was intrigued by the claims made for the 93. Being a CivicX forum member and being somewhat encouraged by some of the rabid 93 users there (some Civics , like the Si & CTR do specify premium) I ran 93 exclusively instead of the 87 for 2500 miles and kept pretty close check on actual, computed mpg (the dash display is somewhat optimistic IMHO). End results: somewhat, almost imperceptible improvement in smoothness, no difference in power, and an overall decrease in mpg of about 1.5. The only increase was in my Shell bill. Sixty + cents a gallon adds up fast. Since I learned about Toptier fuels, I have a printed list in my glovebox when I travel. Prefer Shell (I have card that gives me anywhere from .05-.25 cents/gal off) have also used 87 from ExxonMobil, Sunoco, Marathon and others, all Toptier with no issues. If Chevron was here in Pennsylvania, I'd use it gladly, good stuff. Our CRV's run just fine on any Toptier 87, really don't think we need the 93, the cost/ benefit ratio doesn't work. YMMV, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
When I had my 2019 Civic Touring Coupe, As I typically use Shell, I was intrigued by the claims made for the 93. Being a CivicX forum member and being somewhat encouraged by some of the rabid 93 users there (some Civics , like the Si & CTR do specify premium) I ran 93 exclusively instead of the 87 for 2500 miles and kept pretty close check on actual, computed mpg (the dash display is somewhat optimistic IMHO). End results: somewhat, almost imperceptible improvement in smoothness, no difference in power, and an overall decrease in mpg of about 1.5. The only increase was in my Shell bill. Sixty + cents a gallon adds up fast. Since I learned about Toptier fuels, I have a printed list in my glovebox when I travel. Prefer Shell (I have card that gives me anywhere from .05-.25 cents/gal off) have also used 87 from ExxonMobil, Sunoco, Marathon and others, all Toptier with no issues. If Chevron was here in Pennsylvania, I'd use it gladly, good stuff. Our CRV's run just fine on any Toptier 87, really don't think we need the 93, the cost/ benefit ratio doesn't work. YMMV, but that's my experience.
Thanks for your insight.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,113 Posts
There have been several recent published testes comparing the use of premium in cars designed for regular. Their results mostly align with @PhilF . More money spent with little if at all benefit.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yeah, couldn't find the cents symbol key on my keyboard, still cant.
No, I mean the order of magnitude. You actually meant $.05 not .05 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Agreed with above--stick with higher-quality gas, branded Top Tier, as their program requires a specific amount of detergents and additives to keep your engine cleaner. (One reason for Top Tier fuel was to help with the carbon buildup in direct injection engines; Top Tier helps them run better and reduces harmful emissions.) With Top Tier, the entire brand has to comply with their program, so if for example you get gas at any Shell station in the country, all octane grades need to have the additives.

Many years ago, the 93 octane was the grade that had all the detergent additives, which is why many of us remember that it was sometimes a good idea to fill up with it. An occasional bottle of Techron might help clean fuel injectors, but I don't know if it does anything for the carbon buildup.

In some cars, the higher octanes do get slightly better gas mileage, but not enough to offset the cost of it. Our Acura TL would gain at least 4 MPG on the highway repeatedly when we filled it with 93 vs. 87; I'd first read about it in the Acura forums and didn't believe it until we experienced it ourselves. (The TL had the J32 V6.)

With my CR-V, though, I noticed on road trips that I get the best gas mileage with ethanol-free gasoline. (Ethanol contains less "energy" than gasoline, which is why a tankful of E85 in a flex-fuel car will get about 25% poorer gas mileage than a tank of gasoline.) It also runs better, bogging down or downshifting less in hilly and mountainous areas as I noticed in Montana when I had a tankful of the awful gas from Casey's General Store, vs. the ethanol-free gas I filled up with in mid-Montana that made it run so much better.

·
5,113 Posts
Ethanol free gas is very hard to find (if not impossible) in many areas.

Reactions: PhilF

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
And usually costs more and is not normally found at TopTier stations........when I can find it i use it in my lawnmower

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yeah, it really just depends on your experience :) Personally, with my 2016, it ran a lot better with the V-Power and the Amoco Ultimate -- significantly better than both the regular and mid-grades. However, it did take a few tanks to adjust. I will never go back!

So too, the premium fuels around here are 100% pure gas -- no ethanol, but regular has 10%. I suppose that could have more to do with everything.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,796 Posts
Not here. I drive past 3 stations selling it every day.
You can even buy leaded gas, but not for road use, and generally not at a "normal" gas station. It's used for some agricultural machinery.

·
5,113 Posts
Not here. I drive past 3 stations selling it every day.
You can even buy leaded gas, but not for road use, and generally not at a "normal" gas station. It's used for some agricultural machinery.
Yeah, I'm sure it varies by region. I did a somewhat extensive physical search a couple of years or so ago.... didn't find any here. Nor am I interested in paying the extra cost of 100% ethanol free gas. I do remember on a cross-country trip 7 years ago, in the mid west, it seemed hard to find, even with only 10% E.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,796 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure it varies by region. I did a somewhat extensive physical search a couple of years or so ago.... didn't find any here. Nor am I interested in paying the extra cost of 100% ethanol free gas. I do remember on a cross-country trip 7 years ago, in the mid west, it seemed hard to find, even with only 10% E.
Corn Belt? Hardly surprising I guess. :)
A lot of places sell E-85 around here, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone use it.

Reactions: alexb757

·
Registered
469 Posts
Corn Belt? Hardly surprising I guess. :)
A lot of places sell E-85 around here, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone use it.
Problem here is corn has better uses as feed and yet we can't find enough feed for livestock now. This is one reason ethanol is un-sustainable as none of those plants can self-sustain themselves and us Tax payers are still footing their bills. Were still wasting precious Fossil fuel to make alternative fuel. This to me is a Go Figure????

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.