Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an EX(cloth) last week and it wasnt till I got home that I realized it didnt have the built in garage door buttons or the dimming mirror (but has remote start... go figure).

Has anyone added a Gentex Homelink mirror after they purchased? Looks like they are $250 on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I haven't, but I will say that you are probably going to have to pull your power feed from the sunroof area (shouldn't be an issue, at least one of those wires should be live all the time, and you don't need much current.) You could try pulling power from the cable going to the camera, but those wires are kinda thin (data cabling instead of normal power-harness connectors.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stupidly assumed the power harness for it would already be run, but now thinking about it I doubt Honda would waste the money running cables for accessories that weren't standard. Doh!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't know if there's a plug for it already, but if there is, it's inside the dome light assembly, because when I had my windshield done, the wire for the rearview went back there instead of plugging into a connector inside the camera housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished my install on My 2017 EX. purchased the GENTEX Model 453 with HOMELINK and Compass for $60 on EBAY. It was a pain to install 3 wires Black - Ground,
Red - Battery - Homelink , Red/white - striped - Ignition (switched) - Compass /Dimmer
The wedge mount fit it is about 1" wide. Had to pop off the small cover on the drivers side. It pops off from the top - just be gentle. Then remove the cover over the Lane change camera. The mirror comes off of the wedge base using a Torx driver and slides up and off.
Check to make sure that the New Mirror stem fits through the Cover - I had to remove a small amount of plastic material on mine a file works fine.
The above console comes off with 4 Phillips screws - 2 above eyeglass holder, the other 2 are above the courtesy light lenses they pop off to.
You will have to remove the three connectors 1. Courtesy Lights, 2, (I think Microphone), And 3 Sunroof Connector ( a real pain!!!).
There is no connector available for the GENTEK Mirror!!!!!! (That I could see or feel?)
I spliced into the Courtesy Light Mirror - Black to Black and the Red to Red, I spliced the Red/White Compass/Mirror- Dimmer into the Sunroof connector - Gray wire.
I soldered all connections and wrapped all with Black Tape. Tested again!!! It worked. Tucked the wires Reconnected the Connectors (The Sunroof connector was a pain to reinstall - I used Needle Nose to help guide it in). Reinstalled both covers - Done!!!
Thoughts!! I spliced / soldered because I don't trust the in line crimp on splicers. Wish now that I removed more plastic material around the Mirror Stem. Please check the Gray wire on the Sunroof Connector to make sure it is IGN Switched. This job took me about 2 hours to complete.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I was thinking about adding a Homelink mirror for my EX but this install sounds very complicated :(
May just have to live without it.. at least the touch screen does have a compass on it. May just have to go with the Auto dimming mirror then

·
Registered
116 Posts
i thought about adding a gentex mirror just for the homelink feature but decided to go the easier route..
i dismantled my existing garage door remote, soldered 2 wires to the button and connected the other end of the wires to a small round button i purchased off amazon. I drilled a hole into one of the empty button slots to the left of the steering wheel and installed the button. velcro taped my garage door remote behind the same panel for easy access if i ever need to change the battery. Now my remote is hidden and just a small, relatively flush black button to open my garage. It was much easier than running power cables up to my mirror for the gentex.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i thought about adding a gentex mirror just for the homelink feature but decided to go the easier route..
i dismantled my existing garage door remote, soldered 2 wires to the button and connected the other end of the wires to a small round button i purchased off amazon. I drilled a hole into one of the empty button slots to the left of the steering wheel and installed the button. velcro taped my garage door remote behind the same panel for easy access if i ever need to change the battery. Now my remote is hidden and just a small, relatively flush black button to open my garage. It was much easier than running power cables up to my mirror for the gentex.
wow, can you take a pic of it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
wow, can you take a pic of it?
Sorry i dont have a pic of it installed in my car on me. if you can imagine the blank buttons panel, it is literally a small black dot. Here is a link to the button https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B015X34IP6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its a VERY small button....it fits in the blank button with a few mm on the sides to spare. It's not lighted or anything since its connected to my remote battery and not the car. wanted to keep the wiring as simple as possible.

i pretty much followed this youtube guide since i have the exact same remote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieyPtIhuezQ

you need a multimeter, solder, soldering iron, and 2 wires and a drill/drill bit. I drilled a small hole in the side of my remote control for the wires to come out and just velcroed it behind the panel. plenty of empty space back there.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just finished my install on My 2017 EX. purchased the GENTEX Model 453 with HOMELINK and Compass for $60 on EBAY. It was a pain to install 3 wires Black - Ground,
Red - Battery - Homelink , Red/white - striped - Ignition (switched) - Compass /Dimmer
The wedge mount fit it is about 1" wide. Had to pop off the small cover on the drivers side. It pops off from the top - just be gentle. Then remove the cover over the Lane change camera. The mirror comes off of the wedge base using a Torx driver and slides up and off.
Check to make sure that the New Mirror stem fits through the Cover - I had to remove a small amount of plastic material on mine a file works fine.
The above console comes off with 4 Phillips screws - 2 above eyeglass holder, the other 2 are above the courtesy light lenses they pop off to.
You will have to remove the three connectors 1. Courtesy Lights, 2, (I think Microphone), And 3 Sunroof Connector ( a real pain!!!).
There is no connector available for the GENTEK Mirror!!!!!! (That I could see or feel?)
I spliced into the Courtesy Light Mirror - Black to Black and the Red to Red, I spliced the Red/White Compass/Mirror- Dimmer into the Sunroof connector - Gray wire.
I soldered all connections and wrapped all with Black Tape. Tested again!!! It worked. Tucked the wires Reconnected the Connectors (The Sunroof connector was a pain to reinstall - I used Needle Nose to help guide it in). Reinstalled both covers - Done!!!
Thoughts!! I spliced / soldered because I don't trust the in line crimp on splicers. Wish now that I removed more plastic material around the Mirror Stem. Please check the Gray wire on the Sunroof Connector to make sure it is IGN Switched. This job took me about 2 hours to complete.

Thanks for the details i have a touring dimming mirror ready to go in when weather is nicer and was hoping the plug was hidden lol looks like im gonna just run a cut one n tap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts