Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to buy a new CRV soon and the only feature of the touring that I really can't live without is the LED headlights. I know that if you just pop led bulbs in a housing designed for halogen, the beam will scatter blinding oncoming drivers and not being as effective lighting the road. So I assume I would need new housing and bulbs.

Does anyone know if this is an easy upgrade and how much it cost? Any other comments on the subject are welcome. I don't mind leather, auto liftgate, better stereo...in fact, I'l love them. But I need to save wherever I can.

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
prob have to see how much the actual LED headlight assembly from a touring would cost. which I assume will be skyrocket high since the vehicle is new. Maybe check ebay if anyone has already wrecked the vehicle and parting out the headlights. But I would think the sellers too would know the high value of them at the moment. I know for sure OEM headlight assemblies from the dealership can cost $1000+ That is why it was enough for me to just get the Touring in the first place as LED headlights were a must.

Thats just step one, next step is to see how it would be wired in. Compare with a touring if the harness plug is the same (doubtful) to see if its simple plug and play. Again which I highly doubt so you may have to do some splicing and wiring, which for a new car with warranty is risky if it would void said warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We're going to buy a new CRV soon and the only feature of the touring that I really can't live without is the LED headlights. I know that if you just pop led bulbs in a housing designed for halogen, the beam will scatter blinding oncoming drivers and not being as effective lighting the road. So I assume I would need new housing and bulbs.

Thanks
Your statement is true of some types of halogen housings, but projector halogen housings like the style in our CR-V do not experience this problem. I've tried both LED and HID on a 2017 EX, with no issues if light scatter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your statement is true of some types of halogen housings, but projector halogen housings like the style in our CR-V do not experience this problem. I've tried both LED and HID on a 2017 EX, with no issues if light scatter.
I agree. I changed fog lights to yellow LED, headlights and high beams to LED. They look and work great. There is a distinguished line on the beam of the headlights where they aim. No blinding of other drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those that swapped out the headlight halogen bulbs for LED bulbs, Did they make a big difference in visibility and did it require any special wiring? If you can get a good result just from a bulb change that would be great.

I dont care about looking cool. My vision is not great and I need the extra light for Beyer visibility, especially in the rain at night.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
For official Honda housings, each side retails for $700-ish ($1k list.) And it would not surprise me if, in a couple years, there were plentiful aftermarket options.

That said, since the Halogen's are projector-beam lights, bulb-based upgrades should do fine, light-pattern-wise. (Reflector headlights don't do so well with such upgrades.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you post a link to the led or HID lights that you used? I'm assuming that with the led, you need to get a bulb that only has leds on the sides, not on the tip (the tip led would blind oncoming drivers I would suspect)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Can you post a link to the led or HID lights that you used? I'm assuming that with the led, you need to get a bulb that only has leds on the sides, not on the tip (the tip led would blind oncoming drivers I would suspect)

Thanks
Because the headlight housings are projector housings, they are not so sensitive to light-source position or orientation like reflector housings would be. (As in, you cannot use any 'ol bulb in the fog housings.)

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you look in the 2017 forum several owners have already swapped out the halogen bulbs for LEDs with no issues. Bulb recommendations are in the threads. There are also pictures.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I'm not able to find reference to replace led bulbs, can you show me the links? Are the headlight H11 and foglight H8? Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is anyone able to answer this? I have seen in many posts where people have said, " I had no issues swapping to LED Headlights" and "I was able to find ones that fit perfectly and have been using them with zero issues" or "just search the forum and you will find many posts with pictures and links with part numbers". Well I have searched and have not be able to find anything except for people asking for links and such from someone that has said they have installed them, and then all we get is crickets.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree .I have changed mine to HID and I am happy with the results so far.I will upload my picture when I get little time over weekend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
low beams are H11( go for H11B if you are planning on installing HID to eliminate possible shadow from return wire).
Fog lights are H8.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts