Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Honda CR-V EX. Is one able to add a Navigation App to the Honda Infotainment System ?
Or must I buy new equipment/infosystem and have it install ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
williamsji-Thank you. But I wanted something in car so that when I dropped off my daughter and then my wife goes to pick my daughter, she does not have to enter the address onto her gps.... we only entered it once, it will be there in the car's memory.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have a 2017 Honda CR-V EX. Is one able to add a Navigation App to the Honda Infotainment System ?
While there is a program that allows owners to essentially "jail-break" the head unit and allow them to add some apps, understand that in doing so.. if you have issues later.. it's on you. I'll leave it to other forum members to give specifics as to how to go about this. I do recall that you can back out the over-ride program and return to the factory head unit function if need be... so that may be worth investigating.

That said.... head units really are very static configurations (both hardware and software) for the most part on most cars, and are not to be expected to be as APP-adaptable as your average smart phone. This is because vehicle manufacturers now embed almost all user feature controls and options via the head unit, along with the standard audio/music needs. And as noted above by BoostedV... this is precisely why most modern headunits incorporate CarPlay and AndroidAuto native in the head unit. That way you can literally run most apps through your head unit display that can run on your particular smart phone.

Longer term.. I don't think we are much going to see head units in motor vehicles, much less actual software app upgradable ones. The general trend appears to be to provide a robust electronic interface that you can connect a smart phone or even a tablet to, and no head unit. You can see this in some of the newer Hondas being produced for the Japan market... where instead of a head unit.. they actually expect the owner to use a large screen smart phone or a tablet.. and the dash even has a contact mounting cavity on the dash for a variety of different devices. How this will be handled in markets where it is less common to use a good quality smart phone with a vehicle remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Earlier (pre Gen-5 CR-V) versions of roughly the same Honda (really Mitsubsihi) software actually let you download and install a Nav app. But since Nav was a factory ($1,000!) option for the EX and EX-L (a re-skin of standard Garmin software), they took the option to download away, and there's not enough flash on the unit anyway.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I don't think there's a GPS antenna in the non-nav cars. Without the GPS antenna, it won't matter if you have the GPS app.
Even if the antenna was present (I have no idea one way or the other) .. the non-nav head units are a different part number and very likely lack the antenna connection.. since it is not required and they can save a few bucks.

Head units with NAV are probably the lowest production volume head unit part number used in production... particularly since many people prefer the gps mapping in their smart phones and have CarPlay/AndroidAuto to connect it to the head unit anywy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't think there's a GPS antenna in the non-nav cars. Without the GPS antenna, it won't matter if you have the GPS app.
EX models have the GPS antenna, which is used for XM radio and navigating using AA/carplay.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
So I visited my favorite Honda Part site, and found this parts image, which was titled:

ELECTRICAL/EXHAUST/HEATER/FUEL/GPS ANTENNA - REARVIEW CAMERA FOR 2017 HONDA CR-V 5-DOOR

#2 is identified as: Antenna Assembly, GPS - Honda (39835-TLA-A01)

It's being shown as the same on all EX, EX-L, and Touring models. But not on the LX.

The "shark fin" antenna on the rear roof is a different part. For that antenna there's a different part number for each available paint color:

Antenna Assembly, Radio NH830M (Lunar Silver Metallic) - Honda (39150-TLA-A11ZE)

I have no idea whether the GPS antenna is connected to the non-Navigation head units.

·
Registered
377 Posts
it has a GPS antenna even for the EX.
Installing the Hondahack is an option where you can install Google maps in the HU but in my experience it is very slow, it is definitely for emergency only like you lost your smart phone or what ever reason you don't have your smart phone. Viewing just the map is ok but when you use it for navigation, it is usable but sluggish (you will definitely be at your wits end when you are in a hurry).

I am curios, why wont your wife put in the address in her smart phone contacts, so she does not have to put in the address again.... with an iphone, you can actually share contacts to anyone so no need to input them.

The last option would be to just buy a GPS stand alone unit... they used to be very popular so they are quite cheap now.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I am curios, why wont your wife put in the address in her smart phone contacts, so she does not have to put in the address again...
With the Androids I use, the addresses in my phone(s) are predictive. There are regular places that I visit every week and quite often, that choice is first or second when Android Auto fires up on the head unit. If I have hotel reservations, those are usually at the top also, based on the date(s) I am staying. Otherwise, if it's an address I have used in the past, typing in the first letter or three will show that destination in the list. It's also nice that I can look up a map at home on Maps (on the computer), and that address will become available in Android Auto as well.

Unless it's a new address, there is no need whatsoever to type in an entire address each time I navigate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had mine which is on a CRV EX & it's the WORST‼‼
I purposely bought a NEW car for THIS FEATURE☹☹.
I took it into Honda Dealership & they told me Honda was trying to fix issues.
It kept changing channels & beeping then going blank.
They'd let me know -YA RIGHT🥴🥴

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had mine which is on a CRV EX & it's the WORST‼‼
I purposely bought a NEW car for THIS FEATURE☹☹.
I took it into Honda Dealership & they told me Honda was trying to fix issues.
It kept changing channels & beeping then going blank.
They'd let me know -YA RIGHT🥴🥴
Ohh, I use my iPhone XS for navigation- Honda's NEVER WORKS😡😡😡

·
Registered
5 Posts
williamsji-Thank you. But I wanted something in car so that when I dropped off my daughter and then my wife goes to pick my daughter, she does not have to enter the address onto her gps.... we only entered it once, it will be there in the car's memory.
Dude really? All smart phones have that feature...save the address on ur phone gps and BOOM! Ur on ur way...dealer nav is pointless if u ask me...with all the apps nowdays that find best/fastest routes theres no need for the dealer nav...sooo why people still get the “touring” option is beyond me cuz its pointless to have nowdays

#justmy2¢

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a lot more to the Touring than navigation, I consider the navigation as a bonus. I confess that I don't have a smart phone, just a 10 year old flip phone that I pay by the minute.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I first bought my 2017, the navigation apps like waze and google maps didn't work in iOS and apple maps sucked. What I did was buy a cheap Android smart phone ($50) and I just left plugged into the car. Used Android Auto off of that. I bought a freedompop SIM that gives you 200 MB of data a month which for me at least was more than the mapping app used. You can also download maps in google maps and use that with no network. I've done that in areas where I don't have cell service.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For what it's worth, People use their GPS/maps for different purposes. Most use the "go to" mode.That is where they put in a destination and the GPS takes them there. It may not be the way you want to go, but it will get you there. I use the GPS differently most of the time. I build routes that makes the GPS go where and how I want to go.-eg- Redding CA to Indio Ca. That is some 600+ miles. I chose the way I want to go, around places like LA. I put in fuel stops. I can then see easily where I am and where I am going. Can you do that with your smart phone?. Honestly I don't know that answer as I have never used my phone to navigate. Will the phone work to navigate when out of cell phone coverage? Using "go to" works good when you are just running around town, but to put in "go to" on a 600 mile route seems to be a crap shoot to me.
As to frequent destinations, they are all in the "recent", or "saved" places in the GPS.The GPS in my 17 touring works quite good, thanks to BBLee. It has not let me down in the last three years.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
There is a lot more to the Touring than navigation, I consider the navigation as a bonus. I confess that I don't have a smart phone, just a 10 year old flip phone that I pay by the minute.
(y) (y)

When my wife is with me in my Touring... she loves to fire up the NAV in the head unit, as well as her favorite one in your iPhone... and then compare them to see how the AI routing, and mapping differs. My wife admits the built in NAV in the CRV is superior to her phone app, and in some ways it is.

At the end of the day though... built in NAV suits me well (I do not link my iphone with my vehicle, and never have.. don't need to to be honest). For my wife though.. who often conducts business via iPhone via CarPlay in her Accord while commutting to/from work.... navigation and map apps in her phone serve her better because of the integrated nature of how she uses her phone safely while driving.

My point being.. there is no one size fits all where mapping and navigation is concerned in a motor vehicle. I will say, the more mobile you are in how you use your smart phone, the less attractive similar capabilities are hardwired into a motor vehicle.

The long term trend at Honda though appears to be on a path to do away with head units entirely, and instead rely on owners attaching a tablet or smartphone directly with the vehicle.. including apps to interface with radio circuits and vehicle systems and settings. They are already doing this in Japan, and it's only a matter of time before it moves overseas into other countries.

·
Registered
377 Posts
With the Androids I use, the addresses in my phone(s) are predictive. There are regular places that I visit every week and quite often, that choice is first or second when Android Auto fires up on the head unit. If I have hotel reservations, those are usually at the top also, based on the date(s) I am staying. Otherwise, if it's an address I have used in the past, typing in the first letter or three will show that destination in the list. It's also nice that I can look up a map at home on Maps (on the computer), and that address will become available in Android Auto as well.

Unless it's a new address, there is no need whatsoever to type in an entire address each time I navigate.
Same with iphones, using google maps or apple maps or waze or other navigation apps you buy in the app store, (history) and its a one tap thing to save the places you go often, then you can share that to anyone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts