Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to improve the sound of the radio/stereo in my 2020 CR-V EX. I've ordered Hertz component speakers for the front doors, which should arrive later this week. I also want to add a powered subwoofer (considering ordering a Sound Ordanance B-8PTD, but am open to other recommendations), but am not sure how to go about hooking it up. My understanding is the radio in the EX is connected to an amplifier, which in turn powers the 6 speakers in the vehicle Two questions.
1. Where is the amplifier located or how is it accessed?
2. Does anyone have the radio/amplifier/speaker wiring color code for the current generation CR-V.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there GELewis,

I have a 2020 CR-V EX that I bought this past October and I added four 2-way Infinity Reference REF-6532ex speakers, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. After I replaced the factory front/rear speakers, I noticed that the new 2-way Infinity speakers lacked bass and didn't sound all that great. The 2020
CR-V EX does have a factory amp built-in and below is the wiring diagram, however, from my understanding, the lower front/rear speakers (6 1/2 paper cone woofers) only have mid-low frequencies going into them from the factory amp. Which is probably why my Infinity speakers sound well like crap.

I talked to Crutchfield a few times and at the moment they do not have a wiring harness to bypass the factory amp. I had purchased a Line out Converter and an Alpine mini amp 45wx4, but I had to return everything when I found out about the built-in factory amp and it filtering the hi frequencies on the speaker wiring going to the front/rear lower speakers that made my 2-way Infinity Reference REF-6532ex speakers sound like crap. The factory speakers sound way much better even though they are cheap paper cone woofers.

I left the Infinity 2-way speakers installed, hoping to return to this project in the future where I will not need to cut the factory wiring harness or have to run a new speaker wire from an aftermarket amplifier.
Also, the factory amp is located under the center console below the shifter area if I'm not mistaken.

Below are two of my posts related to your post and questions.

Recommended Speaker upgrade on 2020 CR-V EX with Factory AMP

2020 CRV EX How to access the factory amp

I hope someone can point us in the right direction or shed some light on how they upgraded their 2020 CR-V EX speakers.

If worst comes to worst, I guess I'll have to cut the factory wiring harness to add the Line Out Converter and aftermarket amp(s) as well run new speaker wiring from an aftermarket amp to power the front/rear speakers.

You will need a Line Out Converter to go from your high-level output (speaker wires) to low-level inputs for an aftermarket amplifier that will power your subwoofer(s) and/or front/rear speakers. As well, you will need to run all new speaker wiring to power your front/rear speakers because if you use the existing speaker wire that is currently in place, they go through the factory amp which limits high and low frequencies.

I am planning on contacting Crutchfield again tomorrow to see if it is possible to just use component speakers since the front speakers have a tweeter for the high frequencies and a paper cone woofer for the mid-low frequencies.
I am trying to use the factory speaker wiring that is currently in place without having to run new speaker wiring.

I hope the info. helps. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey there GELewis,

I have a 2020 CR-V EX that I bought this past October and I added four 2-way Infinity Reference REF-6532ex speakers, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. After I replaced the factory front/rear speakers, I noticed that the new 2-way Infinity speakers lacked bass and didn't sound all that great. The 2020
CR-V EX does have a factory amp built-in and below is the wiring diagram, however, from my understanding, the lower front/rear speakers (6 1/2 paper cone woofers) only have mid-low frequencies going into them from the factory amp. Which is probably why my Infinity speakers sound well like crap.

View attachment 145497

I talked to Crutchfield a few times and at the moment they do not have a wiring harness to bypass the factory amp. I had purchased a Line out Converter and an Alpine mini amp 45wx4, but I had to return everything when I found out about the built-in factory amp and it filtering the hi frequencies on the speaker wiring going to the front/rear lower speakers that made my 2-way Infinity Reference REF-6532ex speakers sound like crap. The factory speakers sound way much better even though they are cheap paper cone woofers.

I left the Infinity 2-way speakers installed, hoping to return to this project in the future where I will not need to cut the factory wiring harness or have to run a new speaker wire from an aftermarket amplifier.
Also, the factory amp is located under the center console below the shifter area if I'm not mistaken.

Below are two of my posts related to your post and questions.

Recommended Speaker upgrade on 2020 CR-V EX with Factory AMP

2020 CRV EX How to access the factory amp

I hope someone can point us in the right direction or shed some light on how they upgraded their 2020 CR-V EX speakers.

If worst comes to worst, I guess I'll have to cut the factory wiring harness to add the Line Out Converter and aftermarket amp(s) as well run new speaker wiring from an aftermarket amp to power the front/rear speakers.

You will need a Line Out Converter to go from your high-level output (speaker wires) to low-level inputs for an aftermarket amplifier that will power your subwoofer(s) and/or front/rear speakers. As well, you will need to run all new speaker wiring to power your front/rear speakers because if you use the existing speaker wire that is currently in place, they go through the factory amp which limits high and low frequencies.

I am planning on contacting Crutchfield again tomorrow to see if it is possible to just use component speakers since the front speakers have a tweeter for the high frequencies and a paper cone woofer for the mid-low frequencies.
I am trying to use the factory speaker wiring that is currently in place without having to run new speaker wiring.

I hope the info. helps. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Good luck.
I ended up installing Hertz K-170 speakers in the front doors - 6.75" midrange/woofers and separate tweeters. The midrange/woofers dropped right in with the speaker adapters supplied by Crutchfield. I ended up hot gluing the tweeters into the OEM grill. I got both extended highs and extended lows (though still not great), but overall the sound was greatly improved. I replaced the rear speakers with Hertz C-170 speakers - 6.75" coaxials. Again, a noticeable improvement over the stock speakers. And because they are 6.75" rather than the stock 6.5", they do push a bit more air.

The biggest difference is that the Hertz speakers are 93.5 dB efficient - which means they play roughly twice as loud at any given volume level in comparison to the stock speakers. Because the rear speakers are much quieter than the fronts, I have the fader set about 3/4 to the rear, and haven't had to go above 1/2 volume on the head unit.

I'm in the process of installing a Kenwood KSC-PSW8 powered subwoofer under the passenger side rear seat. As the head unit doesn't have a sub out, I'm using the high level input and feeding them off the speaker lines in the rear door. With a little luck, I'll finish the install tomorrow

·
Registered
2021 EX-L Hybrid
10 Posts
Just trying to help here. I recently put an underseat sub in a 2021 EX-L, which I believe is the same audio system as your 2020 EX. There is no separate amp - - speaker output comes from the head unit. I think Crutchfield gave you the wiring diagram for the Touring model, which has a separate amp down in the center console.

On the EX-L and presumably the EX, there are only speaker outputs for FR, FL, RR, RL - and these run to the doors. There definitely seems to be a wattage bias to the front speakers, but as far as I can tell, the speaker outputs from above "Y" in the door and any frequency control/crossover must be happening at the speakers.

Hope this helps. Make sure you unplug the ANC module under the dash with the sub install. It will make some ugly sounds when driving :( Plenty of posts here on how to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did obtain the wiring diagram for the EX. I ended up tapping into the speaker lines inside the rear doors, fed the cable back through the flexible tubing with the other wiring, then under the the plastic door plates and carpeting to the subwoofer. I haven't unplugged the ANC, but haven't noticed any unusual noises yet. What I did discover today is that the passenger side rear seat won't fold completely down with the sub mounted underneath. Thought about moving it to under the front passenger set, and although it will fit, there are heater vents there which could cause the subwoofer to overheat when I'm running full heat in the Minnesota winter. Fortunately my wife drives a much larger SUV if I ever need to haul something large.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts