Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 CR-V so I can now sell my 98. Not being used to the new-fangled complexities of the 06, I tried to get a second key made for it today. I think it's easier to rebuild the transmission. Does the rest of the world know a painless way to get a key made without going to a dealer? Thanks

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Dealer sorry to say. The have the cutter for the "sidewinder" keys and also have to program it to your vehicle.

The 06 has the remote for the door locka built in as well as the transponder chip so the vehicle will start and both those need programmed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To mine 2005 CR-V mk2 I bought raw key (not oem) for 32 USD, programmed myself doors by Honda ignition procedure, payed 10 USD for key cutting and 20 USD for immobilizer copy at car key craftsman. Poland (EU) prices. Somebody here wrote about the same costs in US.

You can always buy car diagnostic tool and copy immobilizer yourself. (I read this is possible). This tool could be handy in overall diagnostic too, when using with care and knowledge of course. I will get it myself to know more about my car at daily basis and not waiting that something breaks without warning.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Buy-Quality-2014-Newest-Version-V3-002-032-for-Honda-HDS-HIM-Diagnostic-Tool-with-Double/1628308483.html or Ebay

·
Registered
2006 EX AWD
12 Posts
Resurrecting old thread....
You can always buy car diagnostic tool and copy immobilizer yourself. (I read this is possible). This tool could be handy in overall diagnostic too, when using with care and knowledge of course. I will get it myself to know more about my car at daily basis and not waiting that something breaks without warning.
yes....more precisely I believe the 3rd party honda "specific" scan tools can register a new key to the system as long as the scan tool can interface with the immobilzer.
I have a different, but related issue:
I obtained all 3 original keys with my purchase (both button keys and the valet key). About 6 years ago the original owner noted that one of the button keys stopped working, and was told that 'it could be the battery" so she simply used the "good" remote until selling me the car last week.... I found the keyless remote did not work, so first was to replace the CR1616 which got the remote functions working as expected.
However.....the immobilzer does not recognise that key. My question is: are chip failures common on these? I did use my scan tool to attempt to register the non-functional key, and it said the process was NOT successful. HOWEVER, in spite of the scan tool saying that, the subject key worked exactly one time (and the immobizer status from the ECU read "RUN" during this one time). But the next time I went to use the same key, it was back to the flashing green on the instrument panel, and the immobilizer status from ECU now reads "BAN"
My suspicion is that the physical transponder chip is wonk, but thought I'd check-in with the forum for any insights.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
408 Posts
Having been round and round with this on my Vdub, I'm surprised to see almost no issues or info here at the CR-V forums.
Batteries Plus says on their web site they can do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts