Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice when it comes to working on cars... let's state that up front. So, I picked up 4 of the Honda recommended spark plugs and planned to change them out tonight. The manual makes it seem relatively easy. My 2002 CR-V has 135k miles on it, and I am pretty sure the plugs are original (I got it at 76k). Well, my ratchet set has a 5/8" spark plug socket, and a 3" extension, so I thought I was set. Well, the 3" is not long enough. My set comes with an adapter for my screw driver, however. So, I put the adapter and plug socket on my screwdriver and tried to back out the first plug. Well, the socket is now lodged onto the plug and I can't barely get it to move. I tried spraying with WD40 and letting it sit a white, but I still can't get it to move off the plug. I am stuck now and can't even drive the car with the old plugs with this on there. I am going to pick up a 6" extension tomorrow in hopes I can use the ratchet arm to give me more leverage and actually get that plug and socket out of there. But does anyone have any other ideas for how I could get the socket out, at least???
Thank you!
Jay

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am a novice when it comes to working on cars... let's state that up front. So, I picked up 4 of the Honda recommended spark plugs and planned to change them out tonight. The manual makes it seem relatively easy. My 2002 CR-V has 135k miles on it, and I am pretty sure the plugs are original (I got it at 76k). Well, my ratchet set has a 5/8" spark plug socket, and a 3" extension, so I thought I was set. Well, the 3" is not long enough. My set comes with an adapter for my screw driver, however. So, I put the adapter and plug socket on my screwdriver and tried to back out the first plug. Well, the socket is now lodged onto the plug and I can't barely get it to move. I tried spraying with WD40 and letting it sit a white, but I still can't get it to move off the plug. I am stuck now and can't even drive the car with the old plugs with this on there. I am going to pick up a 6" extension tomorrow in hopes I can use the ratchet arm to give me more leverage and actually get that plug and socket out of there. But does anyone have any other ideas for how I could get the socket out, at least???
Thank you!
Jay
rule #1: always try out the socket on your new plugs first to make sure u got the correct size b4 you put that socket in the hole. read your honda manual to make sure you have the correct size socket. sometimes, depending on the brand of plugs - the socket size may be different.
rule #2: read rule #1 again. :)

the socket have a piece of rubber inside that holds on to the spark plug like glue so you can pull the plug out.
stick the proper lenght extension back into the socket and with your hand - wiggle it gently and try to pull up with the socket. if that dont work - with the extension still on, use the ratchet and gently turn clockwise and counter clockwise and try again to pull up. dont use wd-40 coz that will go inside the engine.

be very-very-very gentle coz you dont want to break the spark plug in half!
if you break it, it's gonna cost you big bucks to get it out.

once u get the socket out, make sure you try the socket with the spark plug to make sure the size is correct before even attempting again to remove the old ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I stopped by my local auto parts store and picked up a 6" long extension for my ratchet. That is all it took. Having that leverage allowed me to loosen and change the plugs. I guess I did not give enough credit to the different between that and the socket in a screw driver.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
173 Posts
So I stopped by my local auto parts store and picked up a 6" long extension for my ratchet. That is all it took. Having that leverage allowed me to loosen and change the plugs. I guess I did not give enough credit to the different between that and the socket in a screw driver.
Thanks for the advice!
Well, I guess this is another lesson to all of us again. Have the right tools before you get started. I know I've been on the wrong end of things like this enough times...

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Well, I guess this is another lesson to all of us again. Have the right tools before you get started. I know I've been on the wrong end of things like this enough times...
In addition to having the right tools it never hurts to have a service manual on hand if you are working on your own vehicle. The initial investment may seem a bit high for the first time you use it. But over time it is a great investment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts